The online racing simulator
Got my Prius...
(239 posts, started )
Quote from tristancliffe :They aren't actively removing energy from the wind.

Quote from kaynd :“Because skyscapers just sit there”
so they do not add any resistance to our system… hmm

Wasn't really what I said, now was it?
Solar - I hope you're going to start Modding this thread of your's :-) Full of idiots! :-)
Quote from Solar Hydro :One more link to put the Prius vs Hummer story to bed...

http://www.pacinst.org/topics/ ... udies/hummer_vs_prius.pdf

Solar Hydro

Thank you for this Sol - saved my day in a way. Now I god some new material for our "coffee-table" conversation at work

About the more recent conversations... how come no one mentioned nuclear fusion as future energy source? At the moment it seems as realistic way to replace fossile/conventional nuclear power as do those green alternatives mention above - meaning that it might happen in future, distant future.

While this topic is on table, China and India seem to be doing huge leaps to economic wealth - which also leads to increase of emissions (sidenote: did you spot the announcement of words cheapest car a while ago? great news ). And while that is happening, old "giants" are still heavily using coal/oil to produce energy - the very same energy that this laptop is sucking from my "wall". Suddenly, it all seems futile - in fact, I strongly believe that absolutely nothing serious will be done untill something really catastrofic happens and most likely then - if this all is even caused by humans - it will be too late for action.

Not pointing fingers here though, nor am I saying I'm any better...
  • I have PC running 24/7 and using 200 watts in here just to act as a server
  • I live in old building (1970's or so) which is really not that energy efficent - no heat recovery technology used for example
  • My car is from year 1999 and definately uses gasoline to move around, though it's a bit better than the previous 1985 model that didn't even have catalysator - not that it would alone make it perfect. And am really reluctant to sell my car and walk or use bus
  • And so on...
...just wanted to say something with my limited knowledge, that had not yet raised up here - and maybe do a confession to feel better
It's been a long time, but here is a new Prius update

Today, I went for the first time to the mandatory 'technical control' with my Prius (it will be 5 years old next week).

I had my camera ready to photograph the CO2 and NOX emissions readout, and I was genuinely curious to see the measured emissions compared to the advertised values.

I pulled up to the measurement station, in EV mode. I used the STOP button (which locks the transmission but the engine(s) stay(s) on). The guy told me: "rev the engine". I hit the gas hard, car stayed in EV mode (logical). I took EV mode off, put it in NEUTRAL as opposed to stop, hit the gas hard, petrol engine still didn't start. I put it in DRIVE, as opposed to neutral, pushed gas a bit, hitting the brakes at the same time, petrol engine still didn't start (I didn't push gas much because I really didn't want to rear-end an old dirty diesel Jetta 10 metres ahead of me - especially after an old dirty diesel Polo had already rear-ended me 3 minutes earlier in the queue). I put my hands up and offered the guy to try; he did, but he just pushed gas with car in STOP mode which was never gonna work, and gave up. He went to ask a more senior guy, who shrugged, and said 'let it pass'.

Then I completed the rest of the test - the whole of the test in EV mode too, I loved that. Tests included brakes on front and rear, suspension on all wheels, lights, some inspection from below by a human (not sure what they check there) and I was told: "perfect".

Then I paid €59 (more than the standard €31), because I learned that I was supposed to go a year ago and somehow the 'invitation' was lost (probably own fault rather than theirs).

Solar Hydro

www.flickr.com/photos/solar_hydro
Nice to know it's still in great shape after five years, did that model ever get a recall of any kind?

How are the gas prices there now, they are hovering around 1.03 a liter here.

What's the coldest temp that car has ever been in?

AAnt
Hi Ant,

Nope, 2005 Prius was never recalled.

The only issue I had with it was that the standard battery (not the one powering the electric motor) died (slowly) a few months ago.

I was told that this is a regular occurrence on any car anywhere between 2 and 7 years. On the Prius it's crippling because the computer needs to work to be able to start the Prius (presumably a computer is increasingly required in other cars too). Toyota replaced the battery free of charge as part of 'all maintenance for free for 5 years' that came with the Prius when I got it.

Current belgian gas price: Eurosuper 95 - €1,4320/l.

Coldest temp must have been be around -15° Celcius.

Solar Hydro
why people dont buy little diahatsu's and suzuki's ill never know...

1 liter diesel charade gets 3l per 100 km without breaking a sweat.

even the turbo models get respectable mpg and if you where to run the banger on bio diesel your recycling and getting Good mpg figures ( aswell as keeping a good car on the road - never put a good one down )
Quote from theirishnoob :why people dont buy little diahatsu's and suzuki's ill never know...

Because some of us do long drives on dual carriageways. Anything less than 2 litres is going to shatter the Earth's crust from the vibrations of the engine, suck it's oil reserves dry to feed it, and get there at 60mph with an aching back. Having too little power can be a very bad thing.

I take no pride in my car, it's a 2 litre turbo diesel Ford "I work for the man" silver Mondeo. It's average in every sense, it has no flair and does not win any performance races - but I couldn't imagine doing the driving I do with a smaller engine.

Don't get me wrong i'd rather do away with a car altogether if I could - and I did just that a few years back and got myself a bicycle, but I believe in using the right tool for the job.

Little town cars are just that, they're for bobbing about town in.

I don't understand Prius' at all. Save the planet by throwing away a perfectly good old car and then tear the planets resources up to build a shiney new one? I just can't figure out the mentality of anyone who would buy one. Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to me. If the Prius had a redeeming feature other than being marketting as a contientious objector to the car industry, whilst still actually being made by the car industry, then maybe it would make sense as a product - but right now I just dont get it.
Cars like the prius are great technology but why do they have to make them look like absolute rubbish?
Quote from Jacko1 :Cars like the prius are great technology but why do they have to make them look like absolute rubbish?

for smallest possible air resistance and biggest aerodynamics (whatever the figure is :0)

= more mpg using less fuel :P
-
(Luke.S) DELETED by Luke.S
but it isnt roomy, and cant fit groceries or whatever you need, and it cant fit more then 2 people. if the veyron needed to be aerodynamic and need space, it would also be pretty big, ugly, and prius like most likely
Quote from Luke.S :but a veyron has the lowest drag coefficient of any road car. And it ain't that ugly

Where do you pull out stats like that?

The Prius has around .25-.27 and the Honda Insight around the same.

The Veyron has a drag coefficient of .36 (after its lowered)

Now if you said it was the new E Class instead of the Veyron, I'd have agreeed. Its got .24 and looks good IMO.

http://www.carfolio.com/specif ... car=135476#a_aerodynamics

E: Where did his post go? :P
I think it jumped on the fail boat.

I don't understand the Prius much either, I think a decent powered diesel is the way to go, lot's of torque and power while still having brilliant economy. VW are using a 1.6TDI engine which has just over 100bhp and can get 74mpg combined, what does the prius get, 65?

It's a great concept an all, but for the money and the complete lack of power it seems a little pointless. Whenever I think of one I just remember the Top gear episode (Or 5th gear) Where they made a new M3 drive behind a prius going as fast as it could and it got better fuel consumption. Bit of an extreme example but we'd all be much better off driving mega fast cars, honestly.
Quote from logitekg25 :but it isnt roomy, and cant fit groceries or whatever you need, and it cant fit more then 2 people. if the veyron needed to be aerodynamic and need space, it would also be pretty big, ugly, and prius like most likely

Although I agree with the fact that prius' are pointless and for people lacking in testicles, I have to say that the veyron is pretty hideous.

Got my Prius...
(239 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG