The online racing simulator
Big money league
(25 posts, started )
Big money league
My names Johnathan Russ, from The Original LFS League.

Been windering for a few months if any of you top racers out there would be interested in a new league. With REAL money as a prize for the top 3 finishers.

It would only be open to the very best LFS drivers (so you'll need lots of World Records) and be willing to pay an entry fee.

With real prize money, I'm sure there will be publicity etc.

Your thoughts on the idea please.

Best wishes

Johnathan Russ
Broadcast it. I'm sure theres be going to be interest from the public since the prizes are real.
I made a post about something similar a while back, but the idea got poo-poo'ed pretty quickly.

Dan,
#4 - Gunn
If you can tie up all of the legal odds and ends I think you might begin to plan something.
#5 - ajp71
I don't really think prize money or hardware rewards should be necessary in any computer gaming.
it isnt neccesary, but niether is chocolate and we still eat it. i wouldnt enter something like this as i know i would lose my money because im crap. but if there was enough interest i cant see why not.
It's easier to be faster over a lap than over a race, advertising for WR holders isn't necessarily going to appeal.

I think there's lots of room for major league sim racing series, at the moment there's lots of leagues all fighting to get the attention of the outside world and all, so far, doing a poor job of attracting external interest.

Prize money is certainly one way to get outsiders looking in, but it's more about the coverage than it is about the prize. You have to get the coverage right before it is worth spectators watching anything, the prize fund itself isn't going to draw the crowds.
ESL has been doing this for years, and will continue to. Both UK and Germany have already provided prizes to the top 3 drivers, as in Items. Prize money comes when you enter the EPS season, and live you said, drivers have to pay a very small fee to join.

As Gunn said, there is lots of Legal stuff to get signed off and agreed, which we have already for the UK, we are just waiting on the final companies to agree the fee ( and they are small companies, so they like to drag there heals ) ROFL
#9 - Misko
It is generally known who are the very best racers in LFS, and I and many others surely would like to see them all together in one league. Interest would easily be great for that. I really hope some reputable organization like ESL could do that on international level, but since it hasn't been done so far its obviously very difficult.

Sorry, for the moment I forgot Fujitsu Siemens Racing Challenge which was actually just exactly that, and final races were probably the best I've ever seen. Big sponsor, big international competition, no entry fee, great (and lucky) deal. Vykos, do it again!
Quote from russraine :

It would only be open to the very best LFS drivers (so you'll need lots of World Records)

Why are WR's important?

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :Why are WR's important?

SD.

Good question Dave. WR's just prove that you are fast and consistant on your own. Throw 22 other also quick and consistant drivers in there, don't think you would see any WR's broken
I'd say consistancy is not really necessary for driving WR's. One could do 1000 attempts for a WR, all failed due to small mistakes before the 1001st try results in a WR.

On-topic: ESL is a great example of what you're suggesting russraine. At ESL they've shown it's possible, all you need is someone who's dedicated and up for the task.
WR's are not important here, Russ was just referring to the fast/good drivers, I think, and didn't really expres it correctly.
I was just pointing out (in my own way lol) that some of the best and quickest racers I have seen in LFS have no WR's at all

Also I dont think I have ever seen "biggie" in an online race

SD.
I fully agree on that, wr's dont neccessarily have to have anything to do with good online racers. In fact, there are rumors Biggie is afraid of other cars
lol biggie can race online aswell
the one being afraid of other cars is ... sorta... the "opposite" of biggie. big <> small .....

Tinnie?

Oh and scared was the wrong term indeed, iirc he found other cars "distracting".
Again, to reitterate:

Why restrict who can join? Everyone's money spends the same, yes? If someone (Like me) who is a terrible driver, is willing to spend the money, much the same as the "professional" people are... why not take everyone's money equally?

This will give the better drivers incentive to join because of the higher purse value. Everyone can be happy!
#19 - CSU1
Why not donate half the prize money to charity? I fink that would gain a lot of interest
:)
Some of the money going to charity sounds wicked ,

that would probably get us real-world news coverage here in the U.K lol , report on anything.

Calum
#21 - CSU1
Quote from Calum :Some of the money going to charity sounds wicked ,

that would probably get us real-world news coverage here in the U.K lol , report on anything.

Calum

yep say "The LFS league for womens breast cancer" would get world news
Bleh, another STCC'ism nicked before it's had a chance to air! lol, oh well... I'll find something unique yet
some interesting views - thank you
Thanks for all your comments, very interesting.

Yup my comment about lots of WR's was just an example really, but was just refering to the top lfs drivers.

Although I like the idea of as many people joining as possible, even the slow ones (like me) - we would need many divisions in this league, I was thinking one top class league like in Formula One for example.

The only other way I can think of that could incorporate everyone would be a tournament knockout style, like the football world cup (that could be quite fun actually) progressing to quater finals, semi finals and the final itself.
Quote from russraine :The only other way I can think of that could incorporate everyone would be a tournament knockout style, like the football world cup (that could be quite fun actually) progressing to quater finals, semi finals and the final itself.

That would be a great idea for teams, but no-one EVER liked that. Mainly because I was thinking very short races.

I'd actually relaunch it if anyone actually wants to have a head-to-head team racing league.
Quote from russraine :Thanks for all your comments, very interesting.

Yup my comment about lots of WR's was just an example really, but was just refering to the top lfs drivers.

Although I like the idea of as many people joining as possible, even the slow ones (like me) - we would need many divisions in this league, I was thinking one top class league like in Formula One for example.

The only other way I can think of that could incorporate everyone would be a tournament knockout style, like the football world cup (that could be quite fun actually) progressing to quater finals, semi finals and the final itself.

Well your ideas are great, and I am full for this, hmm, I can explain at a later date You can have a EAS style league, with many divisions. After say 4 races, the top 4 drivers from each league get promoted, and the bottom 4 get relagated. At the end of the season, you should have a league of the best of the best. Then, those best of the best, head it out in a 3 race final, where points and positions count. These races are screened live, across the web, and major news and sports channels and watch and screen these live. Major sponsorship deals can take place, for car logo space. The winner, is the person at the end of the three races with the most points. With Broadband and ADSL and even SDSL and cable, the connection's speed the limit, and time zone of course.

Hay what a wonderful LFS world it would be.

Not been thinking about it much, honest

Big money league
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG