The online racing simulator
LFS Benchmark
(139 posts, started )
LFS Benchmark
Anyone else notice that the LFS unofficial benchmark site has been down for a few days? I (sad, i know) keep track of the site, as I'm approaching a new pc build.

http://lfsbench.iron.eu.org/

I believe someone around here runs the site. Any info would be appreciated.
I hope its down being updated
The site hasnt been updated for months It didnt have a U list anyway

But I hope its back soon ,its a good place to compare HW performance.

SD
Quote from SparkyDave :....its a good place to compare HW performance.

I tend to disagree, I think a lot of the numbers there are highly inflated.
Quote from Forbin :I tend to disagree, I think a lot of the numbers there are highly inflated.

How? Just because your brand new awesome cpu don't cut it on those charts, does not mean they're wrong.
Even if they're inflated then so is your's when you upload it and so it is a good comparison..
Quote from Dizman :How? Just because your brand new awesome cpu don't cut it on those charts, does not mean they're wrong.

Yeah, because, you know, a 2.4 GHz Athlon 64 is twice as fast as a 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo (Conroe)... give me an effin break.

Quote from Leifde :Even if they're inflated then so is your's when you upload it and so it is a good comparison..

Huh? Care to explain your logic?
Edit: Oops, misread your post, sorry.
Quote from Forbin : I think a lot of the numbers there are highly inflated.

Actually I have to agree with you there! but it does give some basic info if you can distinguish between the fake and real scores .

SD.
#9 - vari
Quote from Forbin :I tend to disagree, I think a lot of the numbers there are highly inflated.

I tend to disagree with the "lot".

Anyways, henrik seems to be gone atm but it'll let him him know that the site is down. Thx for noticing.
Quote from vari :I tend to disagree with the "lot".

Anyways, henrik seems to be gone atm but it'll let him him know that the site is down. Thx for noticing.

Thanks for that! I love the site want it back!

oh yea, because im swapping out my 1.8ghz p4 for a 2.8ghz on and getting a new X2 Rig! need to gauge performance increase!!!
Lfs Bench Back Up
Its Back! And according to Forbin still filled with inflated numbers. But ah well, I'm just happy its back up.
Take a look at my latest benchmark and tell me the ones that come even close to me, let alone beat me, aren't inflated. I dare you...

For those too lazy to look: I overclocked my Core 2 Duo to 3.2GHz, and my system is still only third place, with second place being a 2.85GHz Athlon 64 with an X850 Pro.
I don't distrust. I wish Sem4 and J. Gent were here to talk about there systems some. It appears J.Gent has some EXTREMELY fast RAM. DDR 600, that he claims runs at Unreal Latencies, 2-3-2- for DDR600 is probably the most extreme ddr I've ever heard of. Sem4 has some low latency ram, but also the most potent graphical setup currently available (since quad Sli doesn't really work yet).

Not to discount you Forbin at all, your setup is amazing. However, I have yet to see any benchmarks with the two lower L2-cached C2Ds. I just don't know.

You yourself admit to slow timings on your ram, and your GPU doesn't have the raw clock speed as the two raedons... again, I just can't figure. On paper I believe your sytem is by far the best, but I just have to imagine the other systems are just so tweaked and optimised....

I wish the user names were same as lfsforum names, so we could get some answers...
Quote from srdsprinter :....However, I have yet to see any benchmarks with the two lower L2-cached C2Ds......

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuch ... owdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=9

In most programs, the E6400 (2.13 GHz) is generally accepted as being about as fast as an X2 5000+ (2.6 GHz) or, at the very least, an X2 4600+ (2.4 GHz).

I don't know, maybe LFS is different somehow in that it rather drastically prefers AMD. Exactly how that's possible, I'm not quite sure.
Quote from Forbin :http://www.anandtech.com/cpuch ... owdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=9

In most programs, the E6400 (2.13 GHz) is generally accepted as being about as fast as an X2 5000+ (2.6 GHz) or, at the very least, an X2 4600+ (2.4 GHz).

I don't know, maybe LFS is different somehow in that it rather drastically prefers AMD. Exactly how that's possible, I'm not quite sure.

Thanks for the link, good read. Interstingly how well the performance of the lower two c2ds jump with a little overclocking. While it rapidly approaches the performance of the extreme c2d, it doesn't show the performance capabilities of overclocked A64s...

Hmm. Could be.

I wonder if the ATi cards have better backwards compatability to DX8 if thats possible...

Wow.... UPDATE

Right infront of you now Forbin

AlienIV 0.5T Pentium D 6300 @2.1G 2048 Radeon X1900 XT (256) 6X16X 104.029 AVG FPS

5-5-5-12 timings on his RAM, and he has a X1900xt.... Wait, he's got a 256MB one??? I haven't seen any of the 256MB 1900xts on sale yet... illepall

So what have we learned.... I believe LFS puts a premium on either the RAM timings, the ATI GPU, or the Fudge Factor...
#16 - vari
Quote from srdsprinter :but I just have to imagine the other systems are just so tweaked and optimised....

I wish the user names were same as lfsforum names, so we could get some answers...

Knowing J Gent That'd be correct

btw he's usually on #liveforspeed, irc.gamesurge.net. (edit: on holiday atm )
Quote from srdsprinter :.....So what have we learned.... I believe LFS puts a premium on either the RAM timings, the ATI GPU, or the Fudge Factor...

I'm running the same timings as that Alien guy, 5-5-5-15, so it's not that. There is a pretty big difference (under HL2: Episode 1) between the X1900 XT 256MB and 7900GT 256MB, but that shouldn't matter in LFS. I'm clearly CPU limited as shown by how linearly my performance increases with clock speed.

I should note that I'm using the EXACT same config file that comes with the LFS benchmark, and my drivers are set to High Quality, with all the performance optimizations OFF (although apparently turning them on and setting it to High Performance does absolutely nothing to my framerate).

I highly suspect that people are editing the config file for better performance.
Quote from srdsprinter :Thanks for the link, good read. Interstingly how well the performance of the lower two c2ds jump with a little overclocking. While it rapidly approaches the performance of the extreme c2d, it doesn't show the performance capabilities of overclocked A64s...

From the Anandtech article:

Quote from AnandTech :The Athlon 64 X2 CPUs have been fairly good overclockers, with the X2 3800+ usually able to run anywhere from 4600+ speeds (2.4GHz) up to FX-62 speeds (2.8GHz) and sometimes slightly beyond (3.0 - 3.1GHz). While we don't have any Socket-AM2 Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPUs on hand (we will use a 4600+ and underclock it for our benchmarks), we do have performance results of the X2 4200+, 4600+ and FX-62 to give you an idea of where an overclocked X2 3800+ can get you performance-wise.

Quote from srdsprinter :I don't distrust. I wish Sem4 and J. Gent were here to talk about there systems some. It appears J.Gent has some EXTREMELY fast RAM. DDR 600, that he claims runs at Unreal Latencies, 2-3-2- for DDR600 is probably the most extreme ddr I've ever heard of. Sem4 has some low latency ram, but also the most potent graphical setup currently available (since quad Sli doesn't really work yet).

Not to discount you Forbin at all, your setup is amazing. However, I have yet to see any benchmarks with the two lower L2-cached C2Ds. I just don't know.

You yourself admit to slow timings on your ram, and your GPU doesn't have the raw clock speed as the two raedons... again, I just can't figure. On paper I believe your sytem is by far the best, but I just have to imagine the other systems are just so tweaked and optimised....

Hi the ram wasn't running at DDR 600, that was just its rated maximum (Gskill LA). The speed it was running during that benchmark was 518Mhz. I had the graphics quality (driver settings) at minimum and I was running the test with the standard max or min settings.

I haven't ran LFS for quite a while as a mixture of real life and lack of second monitor for the gaming pc. However, I will do what I can to prove that the posted time is genuine. I have little interest in defrauding the system.

What I will say however, is that one of my MSN contacts has nigh on the same system as myself, and his system fails to perform in comparison to myown. Which is a similar story to my old overclocked p4 (3.3ghz) system with one of the graphics cards it featured (ati 9800 pro..demo days). However, the Gf4 TI 4800 was super quick. LFS just seems to be odd sometimes.
Wow, thanks for the response. PCs are complex, and can all have quirks. Forbin, any thoughts?

Issue with Falcon5 posting his numbers on the website. I don't think he knows what he's writing...

4falcon50.5TUnknown 2133 @2.4G1024Radeon X800 P (256)--103.57671132

He claims to be using 2x512MB of DDR400 ram... on a Core 2 Duo. I guess he doesn't know what he's using...
LOL! Of course I DO know what I'm using. I'm using ASRock ConRoe865PE mainboard with i865PE chipset supporting DDR1 and AGP with Core 2 Duo CPUs. I just didnt want to spend lots of money for DDR2 memory and PCIe graphics card when my 'old' one is fast enough for me.
#22 - vari
Site updated to patch U btw
Quote from falcon5 :LOL! Of course I DO know what I'm using. I'm using ASRock ConRoe865PE mainboard with i865PE chipset supporting DDR1 and AGP with Core 2 Duo CPUs. I just didnt want to spend lots of money for DDR2 memory and PCIe graphics card when my 'old' one is fast enough for me.

Wow, I apologize then fully! I had no idea there were boards supporting that! Awesome.

I wish the site could add a date posted on the end of each persons submission...
#24 - vari
Sorry for the huge bump, but it would have been useless to open another topic...

I've noticed that LFS Benchmark site is down... I wanted to check how much FPS would I get with my new comp..

Any news? Being updated or what?

LFS Benchmark
(139 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG