The online racing simulator
skin on windows
(31 posts, started )
skin on windows
Hi, im a skinner and i have one suggestion about cars in LFS .
I think it will be nice to upgrade cars like that we can paste pictures and textures onto rear and back car windows, , something like this ...
Thanks!
Attached images
mick%20Beauchamp%20tests%20Dunlop%20Mini%20Challenge%20Safety%20Car%20(1).jpg
#2 - herki
Uhmm... yeah, the idea isn't to bad, but you should have named the thread more infromative and put it in "Improvement suggestions".
To the mods I can say: "Please fix this"
I think it would be good to be able to sponsor over the windows but there would have to be some limit to it otherwise people would skin every window.
moved (and renamed)
#5 - ajp71
It would could cause visibility issues and maybe it would result in a load of daft skins. I'd rather keep it to window writing and hopefully a flag like atm (maybe a skinable flag patch).
#6 - noTe
Quote from ajp71 :It would could cause visibility issues

Ditto. Plus, if you notice the car is the "Safety Car". Doubt that it's racing.
I'd say +1. If people are stupid enough to stick stuff on all windows, then they arent exactly smart. Maybe have them so they automaticly turn semi-clear, like 50% opacity no matter what. Then that way you can do what you like (like the image in the 1st post) but it's still clear enough see in/out thus not cause any accidents. Or only allow the rear windows to be skinned and still keep them semi-clear.
#8 - herki
Quote from RoCkBiGdAvE :I'd say +1. If people are stupid enough to stick stuff on all windows, then they arent exactly smart. Maybe have them so they automaticly turn semi-clear, like 50% opacity no matter what. Then that way you can do what you like (like the image in the 1st post) but it's still clear enough see in/out thus not cause any accidents. Or only allow the rear windows to be skinned and still keep them semi-clear.

Only allow the rear windows sounds very good to me. The front windows should be clear, just like the german TÜV says.
Quote from noTe :Ditto. Plus, if you notice the car is the "Safety Car". Doubt that it's racing.

I doubt the driver of a Safety Car would have a crash helmet on

[EDIT] Or a rollcage in the car.
Allow a small strip on the top of the front windscreen for skinning. Also allow a diagonal stip on the side windows of cars.
but on the side it says "Safety Car"
I think that we should be able to put images on the windshield. BUT, it should only be one part. For example, you would only be allowed to cover like 20% of each window or something.
20% of each window? seems a bit complicated to me

+1 ONLY if its a banner across front window, nothing on driver and passanger window, 2 rear side windows, and some specific area on the rear (cause.. you have to see through the car infront sometimes to see whats up ahead.. i know i do)
A problem, which just came in my mind. How do you tell the game, if the window should be skinned or not? If it'd be a special color for transparent, almost all of the current skins had to be redone.
Please dont comment STUPIDS like that, this question is for a programmers! My question is clear, i want to put decals over the back windows on car, and its mine decision how big texture will be on them and how strong, peoples who liked that will use skin, others not, we must have completly freedom with skins, tastes are different from one person to other, somebody likes something, somebody not. I want 100% possibility of rear windows skinning, if that perhaps moderators gonna say the last word .
Quote from herki :A problem, which just came in my mind. How do you tell the game, if the window should be skinned or not? If it'd be a special color for transparent, almost all of the current skins had to be redone.

Either use an alpha layer (extra file size) or use a colour for transparency (usually 255, 0, 255) which would result in loads of skins with pink edges because most graphics programs (photoshop included) like blending colours.
Quote from jovadzic :Please dont comment STUPIDS like that, this question is for a programmers! My question is clear, i want to put decals over the back windows on car, and its mine decision how big texture will be on them and how strong, peoples who liked that will use skin, others not, we must have completly freedom with skins, tastes are different from one person to other, somebody likes something, somebody not. I want 100% possibility of rear windows skinning, if that perhaps moderators gonna say the last word .

woa there.. you opened this thread obviously to public opinion, or else you wouldn't have posted here period now would you?

skinning the whole rear window would be a major problem; how many times have you been going down the road, only to find out that the person infront of you has a car way bigger than yours, and the rear window so blackened that you cant see if the light is green or not?

I can say i have; including this morning too, its extremely dangerous for the person in the car, and the person behind the car too; the person in the car HAS to be able to see out the rear, and the person behind the car HAS to be able to see infront

its not a situation of "oh deal with it, shit happens".. its a proven fact that stuff like that is dangerous, and in most cases illegal due to sight restrictions
#18 - joen
Quote from jovadzic :Please dont comment STUPIDS like that, this question is for a programmers!

If you only want the devs to comment on your suggestion, email them or something.
You posted your suggestion on a public discussion forum, so the public WILL respond to your request, deal with it...

Besides, before taking suggestions into consideration I think the devs like to know what the public opinion is about any given idea. They aren't going to implement something just for you you know.
was I the only person in S1 0.3 who knew the GTI's rear window was skinnable??
Quote from Takumi_Project.d :was I the only person in S1 0.3 who knew the GTI's rear window was skinnable??

uhmmm.... they were? tell me how, i still have 0.3
no, it was skinable until S2

if you have my XF_XCNTrance (or maybe its XCTrance, not sure) I used the rear window

it was only a low Uish cutout that was skinable, not too much was skinable though
Quote from XCNuse :woa there.. you opened this thread obviously to public opinion, or else you wouldn't have posted here period now would you?

skinning the whole rear window would be a major problem; how many times have you been going down the road, only to find out that the person infront of you has a car way bigger than yours, and the rear window so blackened that you cant see if the light is green or not?

I can say i have; including this morning too, its extremely dangerous for the person in the car, and the person behind the car too; the person in the car HAS to be able to see out the rear, and the person behind the car HAS to be able to see infront

its not a situation of "oh deal with it, shit happens".. its a proven fact that stuff like that is dangerous, and in most cases illegal due to sight restrictions

You have mirrors outside the vehicle, use them, and here we are talking about racing cars, not city drive, one more thing, u dont need to use those skins if u dont like them. This question is for game moderators, and exactly asking what i want, comments like 20% possibility of windows skinning is not ok, 100% is ok, and skinners will decide how big skin will be, drivers only can use that skins if they liked, nothing more.
If u dont like this idea, dont use that skins then, what else.
#23 - JJ72
Quote from jovadzic :You have mirrors outside the vehicle, use them, and here we are talking about racing cars, not city drive, one more thing, u dont need to use those skins if u dont like them. This question is for game moderators, and exactly asking what i want, comments like 20% possibility of windows skinning is not ok, 100% is ok, and skinners will decide how big skin will be, drivers only can use that skins if they liked, nothing more.
If u dont like this idea, dont use that skins then, what else.

dude he was talking about the car in front blocking our already limited vision when he has his rear window all stickered up, and we can't control what skin others will use.
Lots of cars use the otherwise useless rear side-windows to extend the colour scheme and sponsor space. The Mini Challenge safety car (it is the safety car) reminded me that there are quite a few in that series with those windows covered, at least partially.
http://www.minichallenge.co.uk/gallery/RATXIH/img_0263.jpg
http://www.minichallenge.co.uk/gallery/RATXIH/img_0264.jpg
http://www.minichallenge.co.uk/gallery/RATXIH/img_0285.jpg

I don't really care either way though. Paint or no paint, I don't pay much attention to skins anyway.
@jova; you need to get through your head that your asking for public consent by posting this thread; like i already said, if you wanted to tell the devs specifically.. then PM them!
otherwise, expect comments that may not necesarily please you (and trust me, some things we may hate in the real world is usually there for a reason for the whole world as a community)
also read what JJ said..

@sinbad (well.. not really towards you specifically, but to the pictures you posted) anyone find it odd that in the 2nd picture the driver has his window down lol?

skin on windows
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG