The online racing simulator
Oval bumbing with Sauber ?
(17 posts, started )
I really wish to see in the next patch that this "arcade" spielerei is over.
It's not very real. When hitting eachother there must be some substantial damage or on the front or the back, wich there isn't.
Heheh Andre, for a second I thought the topic of this thread was about bumbing people from behind :doh:

Yes, bumPing in the oval doesn't do any damage really and a number of things need to be improved.
  • Bump drafting is impossible for some cars (cars with bumpers), and sometimes you get stuck together (UF1 best example)
  • Damage is lacking sensitivity and needs to be improved. Wings need to fall off on formula cars, by hitting walls, wheels, and other objects. Wheels, noses, panels, all need to fall off. But I am sure damage model will be improved much later. But I guess we'll have to wait
Quote from André :I really wish to see in the next patch that this "arcade" spielerei is over.
It's not very real. When hitting eachother there must be some substantial damage or on the front or the back, wich there isn't.

Neither is the front car speeding up from someone drafting behind him/her. So aero needs a lot of work. In time, it'll be fixed.

Quote from Tweaker :* Damage is lacking sensitivity and needs to be improved. Wings need to fall off on formula cars, by hitting walls, wheels, and other objects. Wheels, noses, panels, all need to fall off. But I am sure damage model will be improved much later. But I guess we'll have to wait

Yes, aero damage isn't modeled at all as far as I know.
Quote from Tweaker :Heheh Andre, for a second I thought the topic of this thread was about bumbing people from behind :doh:

Yes, bumPing in the oval doesn't do any damage really and a number of things need to be improved.
  • Bump drafting is impossible for some cars (cars with bumpers), and sometimes you get stuck together (UF1 best example)
  • Damage is lacking sensitivity and needs to be improved. Wings need to fall off on formula cars, by hitting walls, wheels, and other objects. Wheels, noses, panels, all need to fall off. But I am sure damage model will be improved much later. But I guess we'll have to wait

The best damage model I ever experienced was in Flatout Damaged my arms also ( rsi and cts) Also serious: I think indeed, and you 2, that hitting something, a wall or a brain, or whatever, needs some penalty called damage . Yep we wait
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#5 - ajp71
Quote from TagForce :Neither is the front car speeding up from someone drafting behind him/her.

I think this does happen IRL, I can see no logical reason why it does but I'm fairly sure it does happen or I could just be talking out my arse.
I'm sure it does as well. Doesn't a pocket of air develop between the two cars which in turn pushes the one in front. I don't think they physically push each other along but I could be wrong
they do both, it will create a longer pocket of air allowing them to move quicker and get away, and you will see people actually bumping (my dad did once he said when he was somewhere i dont remember where, at night he bumped some friend of his in an old 240z he had with the lights turned off at night)
Quote from XCNuse :they do both, it will create a longer pocket of air allowing them to move quicker and get away, and you will see people actually bumping (my dad did once he said when he was somewhere i dont remember where, at night he bumped some friend of his in an old 240z he had with the lights turned off at night)

so finally u are sure now your dad isnt a mole
Actually what happens when a car gets really close behind another (don't try this at home... no really... don't) is that the airflow over the two cars is no longer determined by the air surrounding the seperate cars, but by two cars acting as a single car... This will have two effects... One being that air is pushed forward by the trailing car, slightly pushing the car in front... The other being that the airflow over the rearwing of the lead car is not pulled down behind the car, but rather pushed backwards over the second car, leading to less drag and thus more speed. Most notably in NASCAR, you can see its effects when two cars are drafting close on a superspeedway and the lead car gets loose going into a turn... That's because the air is no longer hitting the rear spoiler, but moving over it towards the trailing car's windshield. Less downforce on the rear means watching your turning.
All these complex explanations (maybe this is still too early in the day for me), I just think of Nascar's as bricks so as the back car drives forward the front car is pushed by the air displaced by the back one. This is because they are brick shaped.

Does it effect indy cars (and consequently BF1 too)? I'm not sure that it does.
Quote from Becky Rose :All these complex explanations (maybe this is still too early in the day for me), I just think of Nascar's as bricks so as the back car drives forward the front car is pushed by the air displaced by the back one. This is because they are brick shaped.

Does it effect indy cars (and consequently BF1 too)? I'm not sure that it does.

Yes it does, but to a lesser degree. A car behind an other will always disturb the airflow behind the lead car, which will disturb the airflow over the lead car (butterfly in africa makes it storm in your town thingy).
i see the point in the NASCAR thing. they bumpdraft. i don't think it is right on the BF1 thing. the nose would brake, or the car would spin off in real life. so i am not a big fan of that, allthough i bumdraft as well on the oval (of course i do, i am a [FM]) but i could live withouth this possibility, normal draft is so much more fun then bumpdrafting.

BUT

at the moment it is possible, so don't start sueing people useing this possibility. it is also possible to drive through walls in the game, and be kicked into the air like 100m ...

this will be fixed i am quite sure. and bumpdrafting with the BF1 is just one of the things. (by the way, bumpdrafting is actually possible with allmost all the cars in the moment... except the LX-Bitch)
#13 - SamH
I was desperately short on cash, once, trying to get home from Keele University (g/f was there) to Yorkshire, in a Renault 5 GT Turbo. I was on vapours, but put £2 of gas in at Keele Services, and drafted a truck 70 miles to Bradford, and STILL made it the last 10 miles home from there. I'm not sure if I was sucked along, or just given a pocket to drive in, with no drag, but the effect is definitely significant. Scared me half to death though!
well i think the next damage model will show whats possible or not. Anyway until then we are bumping and drafting or maybe both because it is possible and makes alot of fun. I bump even on road tracks sometimes. I remember some nice races at AS Club with these cars: LX6, RA and FZ50. I had a nice race with another driver (cant remember the name sorry) that used the FZ50 while i was riding the LX6. I had more acceleration and he more Top Speed so i sticked behind him bumped him after turns just a lil bit and he gave me Top Speed Both of us made new pbs because of that That was nice teamwork and is even part many other racing styles. I would not be sad at all in case a updated damage model would makes it impossible but we will see what will happen.
#15 - Jakg
Quote from 510N3D :well i think the next damage model will show whats possible or not. Anyway until then we are bumping and drafting or maybe both because it is possible and makes alot of fun. I bump even on road tracks sometimes. I remember some nice races at AS Club with these cars: LX6, RA and FZ50. I had a nice race with another driver (cant remember the name sorry) that used the FZ50 while i was riding the LX6. I had more acceleration and he more Top Speed so i sticked behind him bumped him after turns just a lil bit and he gave me Top Speed Both of us made new pbs because of that That was nice teamwork and is even part many other racing styles. I would not be sad at all in case a updated damage model would makes it impossible but we will see what will happen.

remember, bumpdrafting hapens in some oval racing (ie nascar) because the cars are designed for it, in the formula style car oval racing (the name escapes me, IRL?) they dont, so if you want to keep doing it you could just use the GTR's
Quote from Jakg :remember, bumpdrafting hapens in some oval racing (ie nascar) because the cars are designed for it, in the formula style car oval racing (the name escapes me, IRL?) they dont, so if you want to keep doing it you could just use the GTR's

I know that the Sauber is not build for bumping but who cares, the current damage Model makes it possible for us to bump so we do it sometimes.

Nascars and GTRs are totally different besides that GTRs are not build for bumping on this Oval. It is possible but the Rear-End is very unstable because of the Weight of these Cars and the Fact that you cant adjust the Suspension asymetric. And yes i remember, Nascar Racing I -> 2003 was lots of Fun

And a Word to André that kicks Drivers from his own Server because they dont say Hi/Hello: Say Hi/Hello next Time when you join our Server again and if you dont like our Server and the Fact that some Drivers are bumping sometimes, stay on your very own Server mate.

greetings
Bumpdrafting needs 100% line and focus on yourself and the one you are bumping, but i think everyone knows that. need to get my pb at oval a lot better tho.

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG