The online racing simulator
Oil?
(32 posts, started )
Oil?
Dont hate or flame me because Im a demo racer...Im getting the s2 patch soon, I just want to perfect my racing, so I dont ruin your races

Is it possible to have engine problems...oil leaks and such like, we could have our engine blow, then we could leave oil on the track and a red and orange flag can come out

Any ideas
I'm sure its already on the cards.
Quote from The General Lee :Dont hate or flame me because Im a demo racer...Im getting the s2 patch soon, I just want to perfect my racing, so I dont ruin your races

Is it possible to have engine problems...oil leaks and such like, we could have our engine blow, then we could leave oil on the track and a red and orange flag can come out

Any ideas

As long as you don't request something extrememly stupid or something that won't apply to demo racers anyway, i don't think anyone will flame you.

This, for example, is a good request..lol..i would also like to see mechanical failures in general.
That bolded statement really made me laugh But it also stopped me thinking, there really must be something wrong in this forum, if a demo racer has to say something like that before posting

And on topic, please read the sticky topic called "Suggested improvements log". There you can find all most popular suggestions.
Oil leaks with engine damage and loss of traction in the leak area would be really cool though, no matter how many times it's been suggested.
If a car goes up and leaves an oil patch on a big, fast corner the crashes could be disastarous. You've all seen it happen in real life wouldn't you love to see car after car sliding off into the arm co on LFS.
Guys,

I think one of the main advantages of sim-racing is that we can't get any "engine problems". It keeps the racing more fair.

Anyway what I would like to see is oil leaks caused by crashes, or bad driving.
As long as it had nothing to do with just pure bad luck,

Thomm
In real life though marshals would throw sand (depending how classy a track your at ) down on the track and brush it away to try clean it. Would add another element to LFS though Although I don't want to see random failures, it should be caused by the driver not some outside random factor.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I think if you get to much damage from your cars front end and don't go in the pits it will break down and leak oil. It won't be a random factor it would be caused by lack of care to your car.
Quote from keiran :In real life though marshals would throw sand (depending how classy a track your at ) down on the track and brush it away to try clean it. Would add another element to LFS though Although I don't want to see random failures, it should be caused by the driver not some outside random factor.

i thought they threw down kitty litter?
well.. i guess it works the same way anyway

it deffinetly needs it, oil pressure and oil temp, and we still need water temp!
unfair or not, racing takes strategy, it doesnt depend on how fast you run your lap times (like it does now)

plus, its your own fault (ingame or life) for not watching the gauges in your car, so its really not a disadvantage in any way
Quote from al heeley :Oil leaks with engine damage and loss of traction in the leak area would be really cool though, no matter how many times it's been suggested.

Yeh,it could be really cool but how you would to simulate it that everyone would have still fair race?

Being it random I would be pretty frustrated to get this and other would get easily unfair advantage.

In real life such a leaks affect more things like good engineers working on the car,good/bad mechanics,quality/poor quality materials and there is a lot more ofcourse.This all is usually quite different for every racing team/racing car in real racing so how you would really want to simulate this.I see it for many years still not possible.
-
(Rappa Z) DELETED by Rappa Z
im not sure who said it, but...

Random failures would be pants Redlining the car to much, high revs etc could cause engine problems, the oil doesnt have to to stay on the track all the way through the race, maybe for enough time for the *marshals* to clear it away.

about my comment...I have seen a few people get flamed for being a demo racer, mainly because they deserved it "can I race agaisnt damon hill?" "no, go away demo racer " I am not 100% noobish, not 100% god...I have been racing for a couple of months now, my best time is 1:28:33 and improving

Glad to see I have posted something good.
To be totally honest your time is probarbly better than mine. And i'm an S2 driver.
Random failures would be pants, agreed, but if you spend too much time risking redlining or downchanging unrealistically fast, then there should be the higher chance of engine damage + mech failure. This way more careful racers will have the advantage of more reliability but slower lap times. Tactics are therefore brought more into play depending on driving style (more like real life). I like the idea of oil spills reducing traction in a limited area for a limited time period.
#15 - Gunn
-1 to random failures
+1 to mechanical stress failures
+1 to oil on the track/oil flag

I still think a major mechanical failure should be difficult to achieve unless the car is really thrashed or mistreated, or after accumulative wear towards the end of an endurance race for example.
would be really nice if you could damage the sump of your car from dropping wheel over curbs etc... then drop some oil. that would be good.

i think it would have to be a server option. i mean imagine all the wreckers... they'd have a great time bustin their cars and spilling oil all over the place. even after you've kicked or banned them the oil would still be there so a race would still be ruined.

... my 2 cents

but +1 overall
Quote from al heeley :Random failures would be pants, agreed, but if you spend too much time risking redlining or downchanging unrealistically fast, then there should be the higher chance of engine damage + mech failure. This way more careful racers will have the advantage of more reliability but slower lap times. Tactics are therefore brought more into play depending on driving style (more like real life). I like the idea of oil spills reducing traction in a limited area for a limited time period.

This is the way it should be done I wonder how long my xrt would last after 9laps of constant drifting at high revs.
Assuming the car has a well designed oil system, sufficient cooling for the oil, and a sensible viscosity of oil then the oil shouldn't be the problem. More than likely it'll be the reduced load (from the spinning wheels) at high revs breaking your conrods.
Quote from nikimere :would be really nice if you could damage the sump of your car from dropping wheel over curbs etc... then drop some oil. that would be good.

i think it would have to be a server option. i mean imagine all the wreckers... they'd have a great time bustin their cars and spilling oil all over the place. even after you've kicked or banned them the oil would still be there so a race would still be ruined.

... my 2 cents

but +1 overall

I think the oil should be a Ctrl+u option. Then you can make a layout with oil and when it's dropped from the wreckers and you ban them you can delete it.
Sorry to drag the thread up.

But, while watching the BTCC, a car went off and a concern was if mud and grass was bloking the radiator...maybe if we go on the grass for too long, the rad can get filled with mud, car overheats....you can trail to the pits and the crew rip the mud out, or your engine blows
Quote from The General Lee :Dont hate or flame me because Im a demo racer...

:bananadea
i hate u!!
lol just kidding erm...
its not really bad to bump this thread maybe scawen notices it now again and we might get it (sooner)
I like the grass in the grill idea. Haven't seen it simulated in a game before
Mud/grass in the grill would be really cool, I think. So would engine failures in general.

+2 from me
Hi! about oil and engine faliure...I'd like to contribute with this.

In real life many sport cars when overcharge the engine driving fast, the engine used to consume oil, not necessarily leak it. A F1, for example, average drain of oil is 1l. at 100km. due to heat engine.

Anyway, the oil/fuel leak is cool. I'd like this problem after a big collision
i'd hate random failures like say the fz would fail more because it looks like an italian car.If you abuse ie hit the limiter all the time change down too quick etc then I would like this to have an effect

Edit:opps just noticed I posted earlier in this thread lol nm still this is a good idea

Oil?
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG