The online racing simulator
Controller problem
(22 posts, started )
#1 - BATOR
Controller problem
ive come back to LFS after a lengthy break and updated to the latest version but for some damn reason the game wont recognise my chosen controller - ps2 with usb adaptor . i have tried going through the setup in options but it refuses to accept any buttons i press or directional key . any ideas guys would be greatly appreciated
#2 - Jakg
what drivers you using? does it show up in game controllers?
#3 - BATOR
no driver needed it just plug and plays , yes it shows up in the game controllers / control panel . Strange thing is the controller works fine on every other game i got including other online racers such as Toca3
#4 - BATOR
NOBODY HAS ANY IDEA HOW TO HELP ? ? ? ? ?
Any chance we could see the LFS controller setup screen (in axis/wheel mode)? A screenshot often tells a thousand words.
#6 - CSU1
i use the same type pad(ps2 type). When you go options\controls\wheel-joystick\axis , do the blue and yellow axis on the right hand side of the screen move?
#7 - BATOR
here is a screenie , as you can see only the mouse option appears in the axis , ive no idea how i change this

NEW WORKING SCREENSHOT ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
#8 - BATOR
As you can see from the screenshot , in the axis it only has options for mouse , ive no idea how to get my controller to become an option
Do you have any other controllers connected to your computer?

Besides that, if LFS doesn't recognise a controller, it probably isn't reported to LFS by DirectX, which is where LFS gets its information from.
How it could have worked before, I do not know. But if it did and now it doesn't, something must have changed.
Have you tried, or would you try an older version of LFS? If that works, and the last version of LFS doesn't, then perhaps it's LFS that changed. If your pad won't work in old versions of LFS either, then I fear the problem is at 'your' end.

Old versions of LFS : http://www.liveforspeed.net/fi ... p?name=LFS_S2_ALPHA_P.zip or even older : http://www.liveforspeed.net/?page=downloadsarchive
@BATOR
whats the wheel name?
its not a wheel is simply a ps2 control pad with usb convertor , works fine on everything else . Ive just noticed that in my 'game controllers' my Saitek Gamers keyboard is listed as well , though this doesnt interfere with other games i am wondering if its the cause here - although i cant find any way to remove the damn thing , says look in device manager but there is no trace of it there ,,,,,,,, the search continues

thanks for your help so far
Hi,
could you try to move the Gamepad with USB adaptor to diffrent USB port?
Thanks for the suggestion , tried it on all usb ports without success
installed the Test and on the controller option at the top in yellow next to wheel/JS '4 available' appeared - which doesnt appear in the latest version , i still cant switch bewteen mouse and joypad though .

This is a last resort desperate message . if nobody else has any ideas i'll just have to delete the game and write it off as a bad experience
#15 - Smax
Your screenshot indicates that there are 4 available axes as is correct for a PS2 controller. The fact that they are present in the screenshot suggests that LFS is aware of your PS2 controller and just wants you to configure it.

You should click the greyed out text next to the assignment you want to make [for example click the words Mouse X next to steer] and select the axis from the list on the right.

In order to get an analogue throttle/brake you'll need to alter the throttle/brake axes setting to "combined" and then assign them as per the procedure above.
#16 - CSU1
Quote from Smax :Your screenshot indicates that there are 4 available axes as is correct for a PS2 controller. The fact that they are present in the screenshot suggests that LFS is aware of your PS2 controller and just wants you to configure it.

You should click the greyed out text next to the assignment you want to make [for example click the words Mouse X next to steer] and select the axis from the list on the right.

In order to get an analogue throttle/brake you'll need to alter the throttle/brake axes setting to "combined" and then assign them as per the procedure above.

as above configure all axis it's not that hard really!!!!!!!illepall
ps: I've spent months messing with settings for gamepad wheel turn comp. etc. if you need a hand just pm me
there is no option to change feckin controllers ! ! ! it lists 4 but wont recognise the pad anywhere else
Thanks to CSU1 for taking the time to remote access and try to solve my problem .

Anyone else fancy taking a look please let me know .

Basically the game wont recognise the pad in any way shape or form - yes every other game or program does - including game controllers in control panel
Quote from BATOR :installed the Test and on the controller option at the top in yellow next to wheel/JS '4 available' appeared - which doesnt appear in the latest version , i still cant switch bewteen mouse and joypad though .

This is a last resort desperate message . if nobody else has any ideas i'll just have to delete the game and write it off as a bad experience

While I can sympathise with the frustration not being able to use your preferred hardware gives.

Saying you'd wipe LFS from your computer rather than use a mouse which generally always will work and give you at least a way to play the game while you sort the controller which is made for a PS2 and not really a PC?

Seems like you just don't want to get a different controller? Wheels are cheap and must be better than a gamepad? Use this as an excuse/opportunity to get a new controller/

Hope you sort it soon
ShannonN
#20 - CSU1
....yeah if you like the ps2 pad(as I said) GAME have a ps2 replica pad with a usb conntection shtuk on the end, I use it , works fine and is a steal for 10 pounds
The ps2 pad has a convertor which is really just a usb connection so the result is basically the same .

As for investing in a wheel , i appreciate that they dont cost much and they have an advantage when it comes to playing the game but i really dont play it that much as to worry about lap times etc , i just normally enjoy a 30 minute blast around the track , not everyones cup of tea i know but thats me

either way changing controller wont solve the problem of why its not recognising my current pad , its become more about the solution than playing the game . from distant memory i do remember that Fifa05 had the same problem recognising some pads , the solution was something to do with changing the pad name in the registry so the game thinks its a different pad being used . i dont know enough about the registry to start messing around though

Thanks for your help and advice so far though , lets hope someone comes up with the solution
#22 - CSU1
"either way changing controller wont solve the problem of why its not recognising my current pad , its become more about the solution than playing the game "
Your thinking about this too much m8, IT WILL solve your problem , its probably just that Lfs doesn't recognise your converter .... simple.... as the ad sayes "Just Do It"
As for wheels... Its a lot more cozey with a pad in your clasp than finding room on your table for a big bulky wheel.... thats my way

Controller problem
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG