The online racing simulator
Local Server 0.6V3 + MODS (S3)
Hello, we enjoy with my son racing one against the other.

We use version 0.6V3 becouse it permits us, to use the same and unique license. Now, I've purchased the upgrade to S3 License (from S2), to get the option of use mods, but i can´t use it in this version of LFS.

Are ther any way to use the mods, playing 2 persons with the same license ?? (as we did with S2 license and local server).

Regards.
#2 - gu3st
Quote from Fojete :Hello, we enjoy with my son racing one against the other.

We use version 0.6V3 becouse it permits us, to use the same and unique license. Now, I've purchased the upgrade to S3 License (from S2), to get the option of use mods, but i can´t use it in this version of LFS.

Are ther any way to use the mods, playing 2 persons with the same license ?? (as we did with S2 license and local server).

Regards.

No. The move to no local dedicated servers for mods was intended to prevent the pirated LFS master servers from using Scawen's hard work.

You can create servers for free but you'd need separate licenses
Quote from gu3st :No. The move to no local dedicated servers for mods was intended to prevent the pirated LFS master servers from using Scawen's hard work.

Which, if I'm honest, felt like a decision Scawen made out of desperation (because the pirate servers were a major issue back then). It's not the ideal solution by any means, but it's the one that worked. No local servers, no piracy.

But the LFS master server won't last forever, either. And once it's gone, so are all the mods that were uploaded, too, since all of that is dependant on the master server. While you can technically still make offline mods with the editor since the testing function does let you store mods offline, you can't even unlock the game without the master server. What happens then?

LFS is a great game, but I'm worried about its future, if Scawen even intends for it to have one once the master server inevitably dies for good.
Quote from CozmicDragon :But the LFS master server won't last forever, either. And once it's gone, so are all the mods that were uploaded, too, since all of that is dependant on the master server. While you can technically still make offline mods with the editor since the testing function does let you store mods offline, you can't even unlock the game without the master server. What happens then?

The master server has been alive from 20 years. Even when we hosted the servers on our own machines, the master server was needed to show the list of hosts and redirect users to the specific server IP address. Skins are also downloaded from there. PB's, Laps, Distance are saved in there. We are in a cloud era right now and internet is improving every year, so I see no real reasons to worry. Even if the master server fails, that's why there are backup servers and backup storage spaces. You should relax, it's all in hand right now.
#5 - gu3st
Quote from CozmicDragon :Which, if I'm honest, felt like a decision Scawen made out of desperation (because the pirate servers were a major issue back then). It's not the ideal solution by any means, but it's the one that worked. No local servers, no piracy.

But the LFS master server won't last forever, either. And once it's gone, so are all the mods that were uploaded, too, since all of that is dependant on the master server. While you can technically still make offline mods with the editor since the testing function does let you store mods offline, you can't even unlock the game without the master server. What happens then?

LFS is a great game, but I'm worried about its future, if Scawen even intends for it to have one once the master server inevitably dies for good.

I mean I would hope that if/when Scawen does choose to "wind down" LFS that things would be built to allow things to run independently

But at the same time nothing lasts forever. At least LFS will have had a multi-decade run rather than modern AAA studios which will shut game servers down after 5 years
-
(Pukyy) DELETED by Pukyy : dumby comment
i really hope scawen pushes one last update to make the game run independently from a master server when/if he decides to take it all down, i dont want to see the same stuff with ubisoft and the crew 1 happenning here Nod
The only reason for me to use old version of LFS is that I can drive old Westhill. Oh man, how much I wish it to come as S3 content "Oldhill International". Just as it is. 😭
lfs is never shutting you heathens Na-na
Quote from CozmicDragon :

I fully agree. Therefore I see more future into initiatives like CARLA. Which has nothing to do with racing at the moment but LFS best days concerning this sport are really long stuck into history so it doesnt really matter.

Sonicrealms racing team leader jasonmatthews vision also coming true Big grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oalMRccCbiY

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG