The online racing simulator
Rim editor updates coming soon
(14 posts, started )
Hello mod developers.

As many of you know, I am trying to get to a full version release so that all racers get the benefit of the recent updates, which I won't list here (you can read the first post of the editor test patch thread).

I noticed that some people, who want better looking wheels, have been using workarounds for deficiencies in the wheel rim system. So I really had to sort that out, even if it delays this full version release and my subsequent work on tyre physics. Sorry to the physics purists but I can't really leave the editor with such glaring issues. Wheel designs are very important and some people are putting a lot of effort into their mods. It's not good to have more and more mods with workarounds for a system that needs changing. So I have worked for a few weeks on this system for rim and wheel graphics.

Here I will list the updates and then post a few pictures:

Wheel rims:

Rim can now be fully edited, there are no fixed surfaces
Rim no longer blends seamlessly into the wheels without an edge
Allows more design flexibility for alloy wheels and steel wheels
Removed: edge extra width / lip depth / inner depth / black inner
A simple alloy style edge is automatically added to existing rims
Option to allow separate wheel style (rim/spokes) for front & rear
Tyre vs rim guide in the vehicle editor helps set correct rim size
Rim has 60 segments around instead of 30 (tyres still 30 around)
Rim guide in rim editor shows regions that should be covered
The colour at the bottom of the list can now be deleted
3D view visible in rim editor can now be rotated

Wheel lighting:

New ambient lighting system for wheels and spokes
Separate options for front and rear "concealed wheels" lighting
The new lighting system replaces the old 'rim shade' option
Auto repair removes the Dx/Ex darker colours from rim

The new lighting system affects both the rim and spoke objects. The lighting at each vertex depends on its depth in the wheel and the direction it faces, by an approximation system that is also affected by the "concealed wheels" setting (that makes it darker on the inside).

I think this ambient lighting should also be applied to any 'brake' or 'hub' objects that are found, because they are also within the wheel cylinder. But let me know if there are other uses for such objects, that mean the new lighting shouldn't be applied to them.

More notes:

I would advise mod makers not to use rim workarounds for now, as the auto repair is likely to affect the look of your work in the rim flange area. It's probably best to go along with the default LFS rims at the moment. If you do use workarounds, please be ready to fix your mods as soon as the update is released.

The update will be incompatible. Not for physical reasons, but simply because the file format is updated. That means, old LFS will no longer be able to load mods saved with the new version. There will be a test patch that can load the newly saved mods, of course. I will start a few test servers for people to test their mods, during the short period of time when the incompatible test patch is out and we are in final testing before the official update. I hope that period will be only around two weeks, to allow enough time for testing.
Attached images
preview_vehed.jpg
preview_rimed.jpg
That's looking promising! Keep up the good work!
That is what I wanted! Looks great! Now the wheels will be more beautiful, thanks for the work!Heart
thanks for the hard work Smile
Nice work!
Nice!
That's great news for sure Thumbs up

While we are at it, will it be possible to have multiple (atleast 2) sets of rims for one mod?

Or the "official" way is to add them as hub objects (as in the TEGRA R DC12), but there is one big downside - rims can take up to 6400 tris or more, and while this is OK for lower tris mods, it's not for some of the mods which are already very close to the limit...

To me this looks like an another workaround, they are like never ending. Big grin

With that being said - the new graphics/physics update is way more important.
-
(Viperakecske) DELETED by Scawen : the usual off topic sarcastic remark
Hell yeah!
Awaited for long !!
so, since tnis is an incopatible update, can we get westhill int. without chicane? Rofl jk

lovely, rim editor needed an update
Would it be possible to get customizable rims for the cars from S1,2,3 , or will it be limited to mods (and so the model(s) of rim is linked to one car model) ?
Maybe allow to choose rims at garage?
Quote from NENE87 :Maybe allow to choose rims at garage?

It's a highly anticipated feature. I think it makes sense to make configurations available for the spoke editor too if it doesn't take too long to develop. It is important for many people to have a choice in rims. Otherwise they will be use the workarounds with hub object for this, cuz hub object can be puted in configurations.
Inability to move/rotate the camera in the rim editor was a bit annoying, I'm glad that's no more. All the changes look great overall. Cross-section view in the wheel editor is a great addition.

Has the max amount of points in the rim editor been increased? It's currently 11

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG