The online racing simulator
Tutourial for skin?
(14 posts, started )
Tutourial for skin?
Beginner as I am, I wonder if there is any good instruction how to make own skins for cars and make them work in the game...???
#2 - joen
Quote from hargsan :Beginner as I am, I wonder if there is any good instruction how to make own skins for cars and make them work in the game...???

follow the link "skinning help" in my sig
Ok...

I did as the tutourial said.
I opened a skin with Photoshop, edited it a little bit and "save as".

But why does not the skin appear in the game???
Is there anything more I'm supposed to do?
#4 - Smax
#5 - joen
Quote from hargsan :Ok...

I did as the tutourial said.
I opened a skin with Photoshop, edited it a little bit and "save as".

But why does not the skin appear in the game???
Is there anything more I'm supposed to do?

Where did you save it? What filename did you give it? Did you select it in the garage screen?
It's all in the tutorial, follow the exact link Smax gave you and it will work.
If you edited it in photoshop, you need to merge layers and save as a .jpg
I found this out by accident. And don't forget, when oyu upload a skin, make sure it is 1024x1024.
Even I can do skins in LFS and that is incredible
#7 - joen
Quote from Callous Hooper :If you edited it in photoshop, you need to merge layers and save as a .jpg
I found this out by accident. And don't forget, when oyu upload a skin, make sure it is 1024x1024.
Even I can do skins in LFS and that is incredible

You have to save it as jpeg but you don't need to merge the layers though. I would advise you not to.
If you save it as a jpeg it will merge the layers when saving it, as jpeg's don't have layers in them.
Then save it again as a .psd file somewhere else. That way you can edit that one later if you decide to change or add something to it. If you merge the layers and then save it as a .psd you can't edit the layers individually after that.
Thanks for that, my last skin had a logo out of place, if I had known before, what you just said, I could have repaired it.
Excellent info, thanks for that.
#9 - joen
np, glad to have been of help
Another thing is important. The jpg-file shouldn't be bigger than 400 KB.
Otherwise the skin will be compressed and the result is normally worse than you can do yourself. You can change compression in photoshop etc.
Definetaly get Masterskinners' pro-kits they help you a lot.

open your favorite music, get in the mood lol

and a more useful tip: when you are working, resize the skin 1280x1024 (or if you working on 2048s, resize it 2560x2048), make your skin, then resize it back to 1024x1024 then save as a JPEG file. You may realised that cars on LFS are not "square" they are more stretched. and when you work on a "square" skin, the result will come out stretched in the game. So before all of this crappy stuff you can stretch the blank skin and resize your final stuff back to square to get the most realistic result.
Open paint and cmx viewer, do some stuff with paint and look on with CMX how it goes.You must learn every single pixel of the car IMO Cuz sometimes a small dot can make a big difference.Learn the lines (especially hoods,doors etc.) Try everything on skin.Then open your photoshop, sign up master skinnerz, take the templates for photoshop.So after all of this sh.t, jspec skinning my cars lol
Quote from jspec :Definetaly get Masterskinners' pro-kits they help you a lot.

open your favorite music, get in the mood lol

and a more useful tip: when you are working, resize the skin 1280x1024 (or if you working on 2048s, resize it 2560x2048), make your skin, then resize it back to 1024x1024 then save as a JPEG file. You may realised that cars on LFS are not "square" they are more stretched. and when you work on a "square" skin, the result will come out stretched in the game. So before all of this crappy stuff you can stretch the blank skin and resize your final stuff back to square to get the most realistic result.

Not a bad tip for those who want to get the ratio right. The only problem with that for me is that I'm constantly checking my skin progress in LFS viewer, and it would be a complete ball ache to constantly be resizing to save, check in viewer, resize back, etc. What I tend to do instead, if I'm applying decals, is to resize (i.e. squash) the items before pasting them.

Tutourial for skin?
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG