The online racing simulator
Speed Bumps!!!!!!
(17 posts, started )
Speed Bumps!!!!!!
Sleeping policemen! Will be great for layouts me thinks, will be quite testing to see max speed to go over them etc. Also be good for cops and robbers i would think.
Strange idea. +1
How about just bumps in the road like as in part of the street or circuit and be able to feel this through FF. And be able to see them too.
#4 - wark
Quote from joeynuggetz :How about just bumps in the road like as in part of the street or circuit and be able to feel this through FF. And be able to see them too.

We already have those in our only street course, yeah? anything more would probably be considered hazardous IRL... 'sides, SO1 was already smoothed out once.
#5 - ajp71
No please don't smooth out South City if anything make it more bumpy. As for speed bumps have you tried the ones on the Koyoto Ring?
Speed bumps? Who needs speed bumps when Blackwood rallycross already has a series of bumps big enough to crunch all current LFS car suspensions? Who need speed bumps when a good rally course could offer mucgh more naural and realistic bumps for those of us who like to FEEL THE BUMPS.

Seriously, if you think the road tracks (non specilaized race tracks) are too smooth, don't add some artificial "speed bumps". Lets add washboard road surfaces and potholes like real world roads. That should be a much better suspension test than an artificial speed bump. Where I came from, anything less than quality aftermarket suspension will fade in about 15 minutes at the speed limit. Frequent washboards and random potholes see to it. Now THAT'S a real suspension test.
Quote from ajp71 :No please don't smooth out South City if anything make it more bumpy. As for speed bumps have you tried the ones on the Koyoto Ring?

Why would you want SO bumpier? IRL they smooth out roads for city races.
Good point. Been to Albert park a few months ago and ran a few laps on my friends Corolla Sportivo (stiff suspension). Let's just say this road course is amazingly smooth. Of course, from an F1 (aka ULTRA STIFF suspension) point of view little indentations feel like speed bumps.
The bumps at SO really make it more of a challenge, I think it's great. Makes you work harder and change your setup considerably compared to something like the supersmooth Blackwood.

Speedbumps. Could be fun, but my only worry as we do this sort of thing is that people who don't own LFS see ramps, speedbumps, and things like that may think that LFS is not a focused racing simulator, and needs to add this sort of novelty item to attract customers. This could certainly turn a few potential LFS owners off, I think...just a thought.
For those absolutely inclined to add speed bumps, lets do it seriously and add the riddly washboards, pothholes and broken tarmac surfaces known to exist, especially from my home of origin. Nasty bumps that we deal with will make sure that the current so-called "fast setups" with ridiculous ricer like levels of lowering (causing less than optimal lower arm geometry) wil FEEL THE CRUNCH. Now THAT's a hardcore sim of real world unmaintained city roads.
Quote from spookthehamster :Why would you want SO bumpier? IRL they smooth out roads for city races.

Street circuits where big series run tend to be smoothed because racing teams like to complain about anything, there's no reason why racing cars, including modern ones cannot run on bumpy tracks, they just have to be set up differently and driven with more care, which teams and drivers can't cope with now. I bet somewhere like the Circuit des Ramparts isn't particuarly smooth and I doubt that bothers vintage racers.

Look back at older tracks and you'll soon realise that the road surface used to be pretty shocking, it's one of the reasons (apart from new materials, development and cheating) that historic racing cars are almost always quicker than in period.
#12 - joen
Quote from Michael Denham :my only worry as we do this sort of thing is that people who don't own LFS see ramps, speedbumps, and things like that may think that LFS is not a focused racing simulator, and needs to add this sort of novelty item to attract customers. This could certainly turn a few potential LFS owners off, I think...just a thought.

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head.
Actually, modern cars can be setup to handle real worldd bumps very well, though this will necessitate the use of multirate springs (i.e use of one stiffer and one softer spring for progressive spring rates) This is absolutely necessary for decent grip and traction and avoid uncessary skipping and crashing and turning races into a complete mess. Another parameter also required and currently unsimulated too is the 4-way damper, which is standard in many modern race cars. The current linear dmpers will only cause skipping and unnecessary crashing and again, generate a complete mess.

The truth is, some of the "fast" setups I see floating around will absolutely bounce the car off your average potholes. Excess softening of linear susupension components only end up with seasick wallowing handling, definitely bad for racing. Try getting a setup for the RB4 for blackwood Rallycross. To survive bumps, you either end up too stiff to avoid ridiculously tall setups or too soft and wallowy setups. This goes a long way to explaining why modern rallycars with decent handling always use multi spring coilovers.

I agree that LFS is currently ironed smooth on all the Tarmac tracks. But to force in realistic bumps (aka BIG AND NASTY) with no mechanism to cope well while generating decent racing speeds safely will only turn LFS into a crashfest.

If you miss the bumps, please run the neglected rallycross circuits (especially blackwood rallycross) and try running through those massive series of bumps without suspension damage without slowing down.
Quote from RoCkBiGdAvE :Sleeping policemen! Will be great for layouts me thinks, will be quite testing to see max speed to go over them etc. Also be good for cops and robbers i would think.

haven't we got enough of the damn things IRL already?
Whilst I agree completely with Gentlefoot, having just bought all new suspension for the third time in the last 7 years, I see no harm in having speed bumps in the autocross editor.
+1
Please keep LFS to a simulation of professsional style LEGAL racing. Last thing we need is a NFS:HP2 clone.

I do agree that some circuits should be slightly bumpier, with the SO and FE tracks being the genuinely suitable candidates.
Quote from ajp71 :I bet somewhere like the Circuit des Ramparts isn't particuarly smooth and I doubt that bothers vintage racers.

Circuit de Remparts? Cracking track (been to Anguleme in one of the other 51 weeks of the year )

Speed Bumps!!!!!!
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG