The online racing simulator
Test Patch D2 (now D3) - Minor updates
(30 posts, closed, started )
Quote from NotNiceLV :once i up upload any changes for the mod the servers in lfs do not recognize the mod, it says your vehicle is not allowed on this host.
But now the car is drivable now.

OK, I assume this was a delay in the mods system, transferring the mod to the server folder. I'll forget it for now but let us know if a delay happens again.

Quote from Flame CZE :I'm getting this strange issue in Chrome now - a tab briefly opens but nothing is downloaded.
It works if I copy the link URL and paste it in a new tab manually.
It also works in Firefox.

Thanks, I've emailed Victor about it.

EDIT: This should be fixed. Victor fixed it by editing my download link to https instead of http which seemed to cause the bug in Chrome.
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen : edited previous post instead
Quote from Eclipsed :I would oppose this suggestion - When racing in high numbered field,it's a valuable information from map to see if a driver ahead is lap down or a driver behind is chasing me to lap. And if there are 2 drivers behind me (lapping car and direct opponent),it's a valuable information to know which is which as mirrors are not always showing everything.

Yes, hence it would need to be optional as a server setting.
It would only really be useful for organised events where you can enforce racers to have the *default* colour at the beginning of their name, which would mean the old colour behaviour (ahead/behind/lapped etc) would still apply to racers' arrows, but course cars with coloured names would show that colour instead.
Heres some videos about the weird clipping drifteris mentioned, for me it happens in 0.7D3, not 0.7D. I included both of the video clips and replays. The clipping exists even if I play the 0.7D replay on 0.7D3. The prevent clipping is set to no.

Edit: Like anything in the sound menu can make it worse or better, I can change the pulse tone to make it worse, but exhaust pipe tone and the MIXes also can. So its a mix of everything am guessing. Needs more investigation.

Edit 2: I can make default sounds also clip if I increase the header MIX

Edit 3: In 0.7D, the header mix can also make it clip, but the sound isnt as high pitch
Attached files
07d no clipping.spr - 15.3 KB - 78 views
07d3 clipping.spr - 6.8 KB - 74 views
-
(Viperakecske) DELETED by Scawen : off topic / spam
-
(superlame) DELETED by Scawen : spam
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen : off topic / spam
-
(Viperakecske) DELETED by Scawen : spam
-
(Viperakecske) DELETED by Scawen : off topic / spam
Quote from Drifteris :I used to play with "Prevent clipping" setting DISABLED and the sound was smooth. With it ENABLED now on D3, sound appears more muted and distorted. Idk it feels like listening to a poor quality audio. And it's not just engine sounds, very noticeable when car is sliding too, enabled or disabled clipping.

Quote from Latvian Video :Heres some videos about the weird clipping drifteris mentioned, for me it happens in 0.7D3, not 0.7D. I included both of the video clips and replays. The clipping exists even if I play the 0.7D replay on 0.7D3. The prevent clipping is set to no.

Thanks for the feedback.

Having looked in the code and got a better idea what the old LFS output distortion was really about, I think that it is important to keep it.

My current feeling is the old LFS sound should be reinstated. Maybe the experimental "Prevent clipping" option should still be there but now it would not be enabled by default.

To explain, for those who like formulas:

The old LFS output distortion uses a formula like this:

v = bound(-1, v, 1)
v = (3v + v^3) / 2

The thing about this is that the derivative of the final function is zero at -1 and 1 so it avoids the click associated with clipping.

The 'experimental prevent clipping' option uses a formula like this:

v = v / (|v| + 1)

This prevents clipping in a different way that is quieter than the traditional method.

The new D2/D3 default was simply this:

v = bound(-1, v, 1)

Which causes the clipping displayed in LV's D3 video because there is no rounding of the wave at the clip point.

Someone might have a better idea. But for now my thought is that the traditional LFS one was better than I thought so I shouldn't really have removed it. The new fully linear one produces a bad clipping effect.
This thread is closed

Test Patch D2 (now D3) - Minor updates
(30 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG