The online racing simulator
New Dave Kaemmer sim?
(13 posts, started )
New Dave Kaemmer sim?
Yes. It's been announced like 2 years ago and is pretty old news. Check RSC for more info about it, all kinds of it, even not simracing related.
#3 - ajp71
God knows how you managed to miss one of the darkest parts of sim racing history. When Sierra was taken over the Papyrus dev team were made redundant. DK then bought the code (but not rights) for N2003 and formed First Racing with some of the Papy dev team as well as some of Project Wildfire (T/A, GNS, CTS mods). They had a beta sign up but very little was heard.

In the mean time Redline were still working on there GTP mod (which had been in development a long time). Then when they released it First complained that it was a breach of the EULA. This soon led to First being known as Fir$t and an altogether not too pleased sim community. After a couple of weeks First allowed Redline to re-release without the skins and tracks so that the mod breached no copyright.

Then DK later issued a statement saying that all mods using a modified exe (plenty in development including JGTC, Funny cars, historic Le Mans, sprint cars, Indy cars etc.) were ilegal and would face a legal challenge from First. At this point most gave in but not TMC McArther who refused to remove his mods, this led to a court case which resulted in both sides claiming victory.

First then came back with iRacing more recently, little is know except what is on the site and that it is likely to be based on the N2003 engine and (controversially) could be a subscription service.
Wow. Excellent potted history, thx
Quote :After a couple of weeks First allowed Redline to re-release without the skins and tracks so that the mod breached no copyright.

It is a common misconception in the first/redline case that the issues were about skins, carnames and tracks. The rights to those things never belonged to Papy nor to DK or iracing. Those entities were only license holders and as such, that we can be pretty sure about, they were not entitled to enforce the intellectual property rights on them because these licenses were, again pretty sure, not exclusive (or have you heard of DK having an exclusive license on Spa?).

The grudge DK had with Redline was, just as with the other mods, a cracked nascar.exe that allowed to run the game without having the original game cd. I am pretty convinced that just the good standing of Team Redline in the papy community led to the point where they were allowed to rerelease while other modders were not. The other things such as carnames, tracks and so on were only part of that and happened to be changed upon the suggestion that these things may infringe intellectual property.
i dont remember this for some reason too bad rscnet is down so i cant refresh my memory
#7 - jtr99
Great summary, AJP.

I was within a hair's breadth of signing up to be a First beta-tester but the legal battle over mods put me off, to say the least.

Is there anyone here who will admit to doing beta-testing for First? I have to admit I am still very curious to see how Kaemmer's work will turn out, and I have a lot of respect for his programming if not for his diplomacy.

So, has anyone driven the iRacing sim that's under development? Want to give us your impressions? Or would that get lawyers raining down on us? If so, then please feel free to keep quiet, I have no desire to get Scavier into trouble.
#8 - ajp71
Quote from Hoellsen :It is a common misconception in the first/redline case that the issues were about skins, carnames and tracks.

It was the reason why when First allowed the re-release they had to be removed because First could not be seen to give consent to a mod that breached copyrights and trademarks. As I said the (official) original reason why GTP was banned was a modded exe.
Okay, that way I can agree with it.
God knows how you managed to miss one of the darkest parts of sim racing history.

Because I like videogames and not legal issues.
Quote from slamelov :Because I like videogames and not legal issues.

well u missed the GTP soap opera then. The best free mod ever, threatned by legal issues. check some pics http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?p=3085602#post3085602
Seems u also missed the first/iracing/demporium/rsc liaisons and the "game" they anounced by a few years
No, the mod itself was not missed, the legal issues is what I missed. I didn't know they got problems.

Anyway, I would like to see a new DK sim, if it's still possible.
TBH the chances are I will buy any new DK sim so long as it isn't solely oval and isn't on a subscription or pay per race service. I think iRacing could definatley give LFS a run for its money like rFactor and nK never will because the track record is pretty good with the longest running sim (GPL) and the best basic (ie. no send sets, voting, auto skins etc.) net code with 42 cars online (N2003) and regardless of FF understeering just seems to happen so correctly in GTP and for sheer challenge nothing gets close to GPL. As for sounds doesn't the GTP Jag sound goregous?

Now if the N2003 crashed into LFS and you picked up the right bits you'd have the perfect sim, maybe through in RBR for the rx bits

New Dave Kaemmer sim?
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG