The online racing simulator
BMW Sauber have gone mental...
(61 posts, started )
Didn't they try a similar thing? Isn't it called NASCAR or something
lol...nasty
Next up in the ricer front: vertical spoilers on hood roof and on horizontal spoiler, and with carbon stickering it makes them 143% more effective and increases traction, speed, sideway sliding and noise of your shoebox with another 62.5% and will add 100hp*0.25*your current amount of mirrored stickers.

Yeaarrr
you forgot the Nos stickers
We use windshield sprayers with blue LEDs. They are small and cheap, but each one increases power by 5%.
I know where they got it from!!

Linky
Just you guys wait and see, BMW Sauber's gonna pwn F1 with this mod.
Quote :but I can' help thinking they will have bad effects in the corners.

Perhaps not if the car is set up to oversteer or generally suffers from a too much downforce at the front-mid section of the car. However, I will still onlly believe this when I see it.

Everything that sticks out on an F1 car has to be designed within certain boxed areas and these winglets would appear to be protruding in an area that according to the regs - which I havn't just looked up and am vaguely remembering - that is not defined as a valid zone, else bodywork would appear in the drivers eyeline.

Infact, these ARE in the drivers eyeline.
I really can't see the fins making a significant difference round corners.
They look retarded, but apparently they have F1 permission according to what I read. So more power to them, Yet I fail to see how they will do anything else but limit the drivers FOV.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :They look retarded, but apparently they have F1 permission according to what I read. So more power to them, Yet I fail to see how they will do anything else but limit the drivers FOV.

It's my understanding the alter the airflow direction to the back of the car.

I'm sure all will be revealed in due course. In my eyes, fair play to them for trying to improve their performance.
#37 - axus
Quote from Chris_Kerry :It's my understanding the alter the airflow direction to the back of the car.

I'm sure all will be revealed in due course. In my eyes, fair play to them for trying to improve their performance.

Its mainly to "tidy up the airflow over the car", whatever that means. Seems peculiar to me but I support 'em so if it works, then its all good.
lol wow that is awsome thats almost as ugly and stupid looking as last years williams front nose. Last year at the long beach gp i got to see a toyota f1 car up close and I think its fascinating how everypart of the car has a curve and a purpose so i like the way the current f1 cars look. even though i wish they had the huge fat tires like back in the old days.
well... if this works and the FIA allows this then the BF1 model should be changed IMHO... but well, let's see if and how it works.
Quote from St4Lk3R :well... if this works and the FIA allows this then the BF1 model should be changed IMHO...

I hope you are not serious. That car looks hideous and would meke seeing out of the car even more tricky than its now, I hope rF goes for it and makes a update thou
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :you forgot the Nos stickers

Yeah and a kewl aftermarket steering wheel so your handing is improved, oh ya and NOS in the indicators so u can turn faster!
Quote from St4Lk3R :well... if this works and the FIA allows this then the BF1 model should be changed IMHO... but well, let's see if and how it works.

Well my understanding was the Devs were allowed to add the car for free in its current state forever, not sure about updates though.
#43 - joen
Quote from St4Lk3R :well... if this works and the FIA allows this then the BF1 model should be changed IMHO...

I sure don't hope so Besides, the Sauber has undergone changes before already and they are not on the BF1 model. F1 cars change so rapidly because of updates during the season. Eric would be very busy releasing model updates everytime the car changes
#44 - K--
Those wings are incredibly ugly and i wish them to be banned now, they certainly are in the fov so quite how they've been allowed i dont know.

As for my opinion on what they actually do ...

They appear to have a wing profile to them. When turning into a corner the wings would be angled into the airflow. I'd of guessed they have done the cfd so that this relative motion to the airflow would create a horizontal force into the apex of the corner and thus get more turn in at high speed.

Its a big problem in setting up an f1 to get neutral balance between low and high speed corners.

The mac clone horns in the middle of the car have a similar effect of pulling the car into the turn
^^ No, they don't point in the corner or give any type of "lateral downforce" (don't "pull you in the corner"). They are just there to "tidy up" the airstream so the air hitting the rear wing is more optimal. So the only thing they do is to increase the effectivity of the rear wing.
i still dont understand whats with all the vertical fins they have now; that HAS to impede on how quickly they can turn the car

(speaking of those fins that are on the tips of the sidepods)
Quote from XCNuse :i still dont understand whats with all the vertical fins they have now; that HAS to impede on how quickly they can turn the car

(speaking of those fins that are on the tips of the sidepods)

I believe they improve the airflow over the car allowing the rear wing to produce more downforce.
Quote from AndroidXP :^^ No, they don't point in the corner or give any type of "lateral downforce" (don't "pull you in the corner"). They are just there to "tidy up" the airstream so the air hitting the rear wing is more optimal. So the only thing they do is to increase the effectivity of the rear wing.

ooops - sorry m8 - you already said that. I didn't read all the posts.

btw - BMW are flying in practice today with the new mods.
#49 - K--
Quote from AndroidXP :^^ No, they don't point in the corner or give any type of "lateral down force" (don't "pull you in the corner"). They are just there to "tidy up" the air stream so the air hitting the rear wing is more optimal. So the only thing they do is to increase the effectively of the rear wing.

Have you actually done the numbers on it with the profiles and angle of attack they're using (notice they've not entirely vertical nor is the chord parallel to the x axis.
I wouldn't trust what a team says they do, after all they'll be telling the opposition exactly what they're aero's are thinking.

Also have you considered the slip angle the car has during cornering ?

Only recently have f1 teams actually started modeling there cars at cornering angles rather than straight ahead.

BMW.Sauber have one of the finest wind tunnels in f1 backed up with a very fast supercomputer. Its why BMW brought out the team they could see the infrastructure to develop aero was there and they lacked engines & chassis development.

And as for those fins on the front of side pods they control the flow being kicked out around the car, some teams have been known to use aero profiles in the support mounts and the vertical plane as an end plate which creates a mini mid wing
Quote from K-- :

Also have you considered the slip angle the car has during cornering ?

Only recently have f1 teams actually started modeling there cars at cornering angles rather than straight ahead.

Slip angle is the difference in angle between the wheel rim and the tyre contact patch as you turn the wheel. It is nothing to do with the angle of the car itself. A car cannot have a slip angle. A tyre on the other hand, can.

BMW Sauber have gone mental...
(61 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG