The online racing simulator
How to cut through esses?
(17 posts, started )
I got a question for the racing drivers about their way of going thru esses. I made a pic with lines thru leftright hander: the yellow line is a neutral one, the most flat; the red one is fast out line - when you stick close to left curb for late apex and then go to next apex going quite wide in to second apex. The blue line is usually overtaking line, fast in when going up to right curb which turns into inside curb.

Now, the question is which line you choose on these types of turns: ess1: first corner fast, second closing; ess2: first one closing, second opens?
Attached images
essesYRB.jpg
ess1.jpg
ess2.jpg
Mostly it depends on the following straight - if there is a long straight afterwards you'll take the esses such as to maximise your exit, and hence straight line speed. If there is barely a straight it may be more beneficial to sarifice a bit of corner exit for good corner speed.

On the generic scale, I would, one the middle picture, go for a late entry to get a good run through the second part. On the right hand pic I would do the same but to a lesser extent, unless of course the chicane is cuttable FeGreen stylee.

Ultimately it depends on the corners before and after the esses as to what you'd do, and where you would make/lose time.
I do not like to "cut" corners... i try to take corners with all wheels on track (or curb). I think it is cheating. I race as if there is a wall just where the curb ends. (sorry for the spamming, i wanted to comment at tristan for the "cuttable fegreen" thing)
The cuttable FeGreen thing is the high curbs, which is taken properly with a good setup can drastically alter the 'profile' of the chicane, and allows a much faster passage than if there were walls there (i.e. not cuttable).

Cutting the track onto the grass is technically cheating, but most race series (and indeed HLVC) allow a 'two wheels on the track' style.
It is not pleasing in the eye... i do not know how to explain it, it doesn't "feel" right. Oh well. At least i know i should not try competing professionaly 'cause i'd never win, it seems :/
#6 - Vain
You'd do. Because in real life cutting the Fe Green Chicane would rip off a good part of the bodywork and by lap 10 the left front suspension would be broken. So by not cutting it you'll be a lot more competitive.
LFS's damage system just isn't in a shape that would allow realistic competition.

Vain
ok if ur after a fast time the yellow line should be fastest no matter what as the red line is more for (out braking) i find it easyest on any S bends or even chicains to turn in as late as u can but still managing to clip the apex with the front inside wheel and help pull the car into the corner. a little force induced over steer can help drive faster along with a little power to get the back end allmost braking traction. Most people dont drive like this but i find in allmost all RWD cars in LFS even the BF1 if u can get the car to the point just befor wheel spin on a corner it helps turn in and mid corner speed allowing alot faster corner speed and exit speeds
the yellow line is the only one that uses the whole track. the red line starts from the inside, and the blue line misses the first apex.
but as others have said - it depends.
As for FE green - over the course of a recent race there in the ufr I generally clipped the first curb, but the fastest laps were generally getting the turn in hard enough so that only the 2nd curb was clipped. That's mainly because they're so goddamn big though
#9 - jtr99
Quote from george_tsiros :It is not pleasing in the eye... i do not know how to explain it, it doesn't "feel" right. Oh well. At least i know i should not try competing professionaly 'cause i'd never win, it seems :/

George, I'm sure that by the time S3 comes around, with a proper damage model, your style will be the optimal one. So hang in there!
Thank you for your support... but i see even f1 drivers do that some times? Or does that not matter much because when they do that they risk spinning or something like that?

I like to corner cleanly, the tires barely touching the curb. i consider the curb to be something like pavement= out of track. I am slower but i find great pleasure in style accuracy cleanliness and control.
in some cars u can get away without touching the curbs and still be quiet fast i know on BL i can set a 55sec lap in the BF1 without touching any kerbs at all its all about geting on the cars limit and some times going just above it ull find a bannana.
You will find that on most chicanes, the entry is usually very fast and has a broad and smooth entry. The exit is more wild and tight because the last apex you usually hit is the one you want to make the most of (ie use most room to cut apex or whatnot).

That yellow line is the ideal line, but it mostly depends on the kind of apex. If you watch fast drivers and analyze their replays, you will see that on chicanes like the FE Green one and Historic Eau Rouge, the exit isn't as smooth because of hitting a curb or the car becoming weightless. Mostly coming through a chicane you get lots of deceleration just as you are in the middle of it. I dunno, hard to explain, but seeing a replay is best.
ahh tweaker i see u have found the bannana good work old chap
AS YOU KNOW IM A BIKER, SO I WOULD JUST GO ALMOST STRAIGHT, LOL.

grr, note to self, remember to turn off caps lock.

but it does depend on both the section/corner before and after that depends on the line through the chicane.
Quote from george_tsiros :Thank you for your support... but i see even f1 drivers do that some times? Or does that not matter much because when they do that they risk spinning or something like that?

I like to corner cleanly, the tires barely touching the curb. i consider the curb to be something like pavement= out of track. I am slower but i find great pleasure in style accuracy cleanliness and control.

In real life most curbs have a very severe profile to make it sore on the driver and car for driving on them. You're allowed to drive on the kerbs because two wheels will usually still be on the track which is defined by a white line. Racing is about maximizing the track.

Even in karting where theres no suspension you'll still clip some kerbs to get better corner speeds, although hitting them to hard usually hurts

Keiran
Maybe the problem is not the damage system of LFS? Maybe it is the players and the tracks? Drive the Fern bay tracks with F08/BF1 and you will soon notice that the track profile encourages and rewards aggressive corner cutting. And was the game anything like LFS or not, you would cut those same corners in similar manner as you do in LFS.

The problem is the tracks in LFS have way too many flat-out chicanes. I want more hairpins and steep corners with lots of altitude variation, like the corkscrew at laguna seca. The "corkscrew at as historic is a nice try but it could be a lot steeper

Still, we need new kind of tracks. All the tracks we have are medium fast, too slow for the BF1/GTRs and too fast for the rest.
to be honest i think the current tracks are good but would love some more i mean SO isent really a BF1 kind of track AS is a good track for the F08 and BF1 Ky and a few are really good with the GTR cars.I do how ever agree more elavated corners on camber and off cambered dips and can we please get some corners that vary in tightness more their is very few of these corners in game

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG