The online racing simulator
#1 - axus
Is it just me or has the number of threads being locked gone up?
Come on guys,

This forum was always loosely moderated and the moderators were never stupidly strict like on RSC. But I now see one or two threads getting locked per day, and with good reason too. On the one hand, I blame it on people not thinking before they make a new thread... on the other hand I blame the people who actually post in these dull threads. If no-one posts in there, the thread starter will eventually get the message.

The flamewars that went on every few weeks seem to have disappeared, but now its stupidity left, right and center. As Scawen said a week-or-so-ago, this forum was never intended to be a kiddies' playground. I urge both forum members and moderators to take a stand against this. Have a sticky with a more comprehensive version of the forum rules in the general discussion. Don't post in stupid threads to tell people how stupid they are and for the love of god, the whole forum doesn't need to jump on a demo racer using a crack. Not helping him and reporting his post so the moderators can deal with it will do.

I'm really left speechless by some of the threads started. I know that this comes with the territory and LFS has grown a lot but the moderation and community needs to grow with it to keep this forum tidy and pleasurable to read as it used to be (barring the flamewars).

I agree, however the only option is to lock threads.

I also think that sometimes, members get involved in these stupid threads by spamming etc etc. Just let one member say whats wrong with the thread and let it be locked, instead of 20 members adding their 2p.
#3 - col
Quote from axus :Come on guys,

This forum was always loosely moderated and the moderators were never stupidly strict like on RSC. But I now see one or two threads getting locked per day, and with good reason too. On the one hand, I blame it on people not thinking before they make a new thread... on the other hand I blame the people who actually post in these dull threads. If no-one posts in there, the thread starter will eventually get the message.

The flamewars that went on every few weeks seem to have disappeared, but now its stupidity left, right and center. As Scawen said a week-or-so-ago, this forum was never intended to be a kiddies' playground. I urge both forum members and moderators to take a stand against this. Have a sticky with a more comprehensive version of the forum rules in the general discussion. Don't post in stupid threads to tell people how stupid they are and for the love of god, the whole forum doesn't need to jump on a demo racer using a crack. Not helping him and reporting his post so the moderators can deal with it will do.

I'm really left speechless by some of the threads started. I know that this comes with the territory and LFS has grown a lot but the moderation and community needs to grow with it to keep this forum tidy and pleasurable to read as it used to be (barring the flamewars).

This is getting on my nerves - every day there seems to be a new thread about how many threads are getting locked :-t

Moderators please lock this useless thread!
#4 - axus
Quote from col :This is getting on my nerves - every day there seems to be a new thread about how many threads are getting locked :-t

Moderators please lock this useless thread!

I see you have just read the topic and replied. I see you come from RSC too. illepall
i dont know.. but i have noticed lately how MANY threads keep being made up.. daily; theres been like 30+ threads created each day

it used to be like.. 5 or so

i got a better idea; like in CGTalk, when your new, your first like 5 posts or so have to be looked at by moderators so they aren't something stupid (like here it would be.. another ... oh my god some looser banned me .... now help)
Quote from XCNuse :i dont know.. but i have noticed lately how MANY threads keep being made up.. daily; theres been like 30+ threads created each day

it used to be like.. 5 or so

i got a better idea; like in CGTalk, when your new, your first like 5 posts or so have to be looked at by moderators so they aren't something stupid (like here it would be.. another ... oh my god some looser banned me .... now help)

Good idea, but more work for the moderators.

This is a really complex problem in all forums. There are no definitive ways of tackling it.
#7 - axus
No thread statring before a user reaches 20 posts? Could help users get acquainted with the forum before posting a thread...
No, that would be stupid for people who join here to make a thread about a legitimate question. Like if someone experiences a crash but couldn't solve the issue by searching (:rolleyes: yeah, I know), what should he do otherwise? Spam some random threads just so he can open his own?

I really agree on the topic post, though. The number of threads has exploded, while the quality gets closer and closer to the standard FPS gaming forum (which is where we do NOT want to go). Stupid threads should really be closed faster - if we need more mods to accomplish this, then so be it. As long as it doesn't get like RSC I'd be fine with it

E: Besides that, not only has the content of threads reached a new low, also the quality of the posts gets more and more AOLish. "Liek does any1 kno where 2 find my dorifto setupz?? thx". Probably people are getting more lazy as we start to know each other better - or the amount of younger people who "dgaf" just gets higher and higher.
#9 - axus
Fair point, well made. If you are starting a thread and have less than 20 posts, the moderators have to look at it before it is allowed, how about that? I also agree that its fine to lock threads as long as there is good reason for it but I think that it would be better if the number of threads that need locking is decreased.
Now that I can agree with
#11 - col
Quote from axus :I see you have just read the topic and replied. I see you come from RSC too. illepall

My Apologies, I am currenly in alpha stage of development. As an Alpha version forum poster, Some features are missing or at an early stage of implementation. Particularly 'irony' functionality has not been updated since early demo days, also 'sarcasm' and general 'fooling around' are high on the priority list for a total re-write. If you believe that my attemts at humour may have been taken seriously, please PM me with a detailed 'oof' report.
#12 - Vain
The problem is that people should start to STFU instead of posting. So that's what I'm going to do now.

Vain
#13 - axus
Quote from col :My Apologies, I am currenly in alpha stage of development. As an Alpha version forum poster, Some features are missing or at an early stage of implementation. Particularly 'irony' functionality has not been updated since early demo days, also 'sarcasm' and general 'fooling around' are high on the priority list for a total re-write. If you believe that my attemts at humour may have been taken seriously, please PM me with a detailed 'oof' report.

Sarcasm is a bit difficult to pick up over the internet. That sure gives me a good laugh now though.
Quote from col :My Apologies, I am currenly in alpha stage of development. As an Alpha version forum poster, Some features are missing or at an early stage of implementation. Particularly 'irony' functionality has not been updated since early demo days, also 'sarcasm' and general 'fooling around' are high on the priority list for a total re-write. If you believe that my attemts at humour may have been taken seriously, please PM me with a detailed 'oof' report.

LOL!

It does seem more and more threads are being locked but then more and more threads are being created. Even6 months ago when i joined lfs n lfs forum there was only bout 5 new threads on the whole forum (lots of replies but i was talking bout new threads) but now there seems to be alot more. Really what im gettin at is the proportional amount may be the same i dont know. Saying all of this there is alot of new threads being posted which if people would search. I know the searc isnt great as ive started new threads and been directed to old ones but when people post "what wheel should i buy?" or "can you use dfp on the pc" the search comes back with so many threads about that.
As for language thing mentioned, on msn and especially in texts i will shorten words etc because im lazy lol but on this forum (as with many others) where there are many nationalities present where english isnt the first language then surely it is helpful to have the words tpyed properly. Even if the non english speaking person copies it into a translater.
I skip so many threads I see about, I'm probably missing out on the odd bit of interesting discussion, but it all seems so boring, I don't know why anybody posts (in the boring threads, that is - this one is obviously highly interesting and deserves indepth discussion about the degredation of modern society and how teenagers act on the internet, blah blah blah).
I thought it was just me that nothing on here really interests me anymore... I just post about out of boredom really, I really thought it was just me that lost interest in this game... Good to know it's just the community that's going to shit
Hi

I was banned on a server tonight for no reason at all, all I did was...

Sorry, couldn't help meself
Quote from Becky Rose :Sorry, couldn't help meself

Maybe you need someone professional to help you...
the number of locked threads going up is maybe related to all the noobish threads popping up lately
New threads should be encouraged otherwise you end up with one stagnant forum, sure you may have silly threads popping up from time to time,its up to the readers disgression to wether they read the thread or not.

I would rather a "community" alive and kicking with new posts (even if some are crap) than a dead static one going nowhere to be honest.

The other point is whats a crap thread to me may be a totally valid post to someone else,look at the number of "OMG ive been banned threads" most often there a complete waste of time for everyone yet there was enough passion/anger for the poster to be bothered to post it in the first place.

No one is made to read a new thread and no one is made to post in it, people are voting with there feet on the issue when they post in any thread...
for stern but fair moderation.

Quote :No thread statring before a user reaches 20 posts? Could help users get acquainted with the forum before posting a thread...

Or 20 forced searches of similar topics but anyway

Quote :the number of locked threads going up is maybe related to all the noobish threads popping up lately

Quote :The other point is whats a crap thread to me may be a totally valid post to someone else,look at the number of "OMG ive been banned threads" most often there a complete waste of time for everyone yet there was enough passion/anger for the poster to be bothered to post it in the first place.

I think it's a better option to slowly step away from the keyboard than post on forums if one get's angry. Take a walk, eat some pie, play with a cat/pet of choice...

My thumb got tired.
Quote :Maybe you need someone professional to help you...

Harsh!

Quote :I think it's a better option to slowly step away from the keyboard than post on forums if one get's angry. Take a walk, eat some pie, play with a cat/pet of choice...

My problem is when the cat wants to play when I want to play LFS instead, I lost my chance to fight for going up 2 championship places at the last league race when cat #2 wanted attention, and today it was paws on the wheel whilst I was driving one handed on the phone to my mum whilst driving the banger racing server...

Well it's me own fault, I should do what the Japanese do...

salt on that? Yes please...
I always wanted to try dog some time... Too bad I don't have one, anyone sick of their dog? But not an old one, it must still be a bit soft!!
Quote from richo :New threads should be encouraged otherwise you end up with one stagnant forum, sure you may have silly threads popping up from time to time,its up to the readers disgression to wether they read the thread or not.

I would rather a "community" alive and kicking with new posts (even if some are crap) than a dead static one going nowhere to be honest.

The other point is whats a crap thread to me may be a totally valid post to someone else,look at the number of "OMG ive been banned threads" most often there a complete waste of time for everyone yet there was enough passion/anger for the poster to be bothered to post it in the first place.

No one is made to read a new thread and no one is made to post in it, people are voting with there feet on the issue when they post in any thread...

I totally agree.

With the recent 'let's have an uber-patch-testing team' and now a 'let's discourage new LFS'ers from posting proposal, this forum is in danger of becoming a tad too precious about itself.

So what if a new player complains about being banned? One post to point them in the direction of the server admin, along with some polite info about what to do if it should happen again, should be enough.

So what if a new player hasn't searched for a previous answer? If you don't want to answer their question, don't post.

Don't like the thread subject-matter? Think it's been said many times before? Don't read the thread!
Quote :...look at the number of "OMG ive been banned threads" most often there a complete waste of time for everyone yet there was enough passion/anger for the poster to be bothered to post it in the first place.

I can't agree with this at all. Most people find it easier to have a moan than to stop 5 minutes, think, then put something constructive down. The media of email and forums makes it so easy for people to indulge their own rantings than to step back a bit and contribute positively to the debate. If you had to get out a pen, write a letter then post it, the act of doing that means its more effort so the message has to be more worth it to get put down. I get tired of the forum cloggig up with "OMG I got banned for doing nothing..." posts. Go take it up with the server admins, maybe they will be able to help.
People, stop moaning and think a bit more about contributing in a positive way! There's so much talent, loyalty and enthusiasm around here, let's use it!
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG