The online racing simulator
No actually the few decent posts are the reason you're not on my ignore list, though it's a constant battle of the shitty ones trying to take over. Was quite fun looking at your self-conversation in the now locked cruise thread, though.
So now you're claiming that I attempted to hide my copy and paste? You thought that I thought no one would realise I'd copied a page load of ratios from Hewland's website?

If you're going to participate in these threads, why not only do so when you are able to contribute technically, or if you are asking the question in the first place (much more likely judging by your lack of technical understanding).

Perhaps you'd like to explain how 0.001 gear ratio steps can be defined. Perhaps you'd like to write out over 100 ratios by hand for me?

I would add you to the ignore list (and not lose anything useful - it's not selective, I just never see anything useful from you at all) - but I have little willpower, and seeing the space where your post should be always makes me want to see what depths you'd have sunk to that time.

That is all.
No no no no noo.

You missed my point.

You thought that I didn't know (because, obviously, I'm such a moron) that you copied and pasted it, hence your sarcastic, and somewhat rude (but hey, this is Tristan I'm talking to) attitude, but that was not the case. I simply said "copy paste ftw". I'm sorry my mechanical knowledge does not extend to your levels.

Believe it or not, I agree that you cannot have such infinitly adjustable ratios, but obviously since I'm such a moron, that's irrelevant. I feel the love.
#54 - VoiD
Home 1 : Visitors 0

Quote from axus :Perhaps the the road cars should have a choice of a few gearboxes? Short ration, Medium ratio and Long ratio or something like that? ie. Each gearbox has predefined ratios that you cannot alter.

+1

I think this should be the standard same for suspension setting.
You get 3 options Soft/Medium/Hard

I really do feel road cars, need there setting options restricted a lot.
+1

Imagine 3.571 (which is now possible). 3571 is a prime number, so the minimum number of teeth on the cogs must be 3571/1000! I don't think this will fit in any rl gearbox.
Aftermarket transmissions for most road cars ususaly come in three types. Low speed, High speed and Close ratio.

Any gear kits you can get for road car transmissions will convert the stock transmission to one of these types, and they usualy can't be mixed together.

Custom ratios are possible, but are limited and expensive.

I say +1 to limiting the road cars to only a couple gear sets.
good idea, but if scawen willn't edit this, i want to back caster and more degree of steer in settings of road cars.
those settings are same "unrealistic" as actually gearbox settings.
Limiting caster and steering lock to realistic ranges is easy, as you can just cap the minimum and maximum values. Gear ratios are not so easy, as we already have bounds caps, and merely allowing only 2 decimal places precision is no better than 3. So what's the solution, to have a huge table of realistic values? OK having just a few available sets for the road cars is fine, but not for F1 with their custom made gearboxes. Some will try and argue that they can't just switch gear ratios every two laps, but the same could be said of most settings. Then there is the issue of how to store this information in the setup, atm it's stored as the raw ratio (stored to 4dp), so any setup editing applications could just put back this flexibility unless extra checks were involved and the setup re-limited upon usage.
Quote from Bob Smith :Gear ratios are not so easy, as we already have bounds caps, and merely allowing only 2 decimal places precision is no better than 3. So what's the solution, to have a huge table of realistic values?

how about rational numbers with limits?... you know kinds like the way gears work

Quote :Then there is the issue of how to store this information in the setup, atm it's stored as the raw ratio (stored to 4dp), so any setup editing applications could just put back this flexibility unless extra checks were involved and the setup re-limited upon usage.

save every gear as 2 ints and youre done
again: my "2 cent"
If that prohibits people building ultra-tight, ultra-close gear-ratios they sometimes use to overcome excessive clutch-heat when flat-shiftingly-accelerating on auto-cross layouts -> then I am +1 for limited options on gear ratios. hope I didn't encourage other racers to adapt this unrealistic and painfull (to my ears) method, now

However I personally didn't find anything wrong with the current system apart from the auto-x issue as of yet.
Well I agree that limiting the road car gearboxes to aftermarket choice is a nice option.
Three choices (low speed, long gears and close ratio) seem to be interestingly convenient. However, we would need to keep a larger choice of the Final sprocket, because it is virtually possible to adapt lots of different final sprockets in gearboxes

I would like to see this, only if the devs give us back the possibility of precisely adjusting the differential in the XRG/XFG. We all know that a detroit locker is what the XFG would need, while the XRG could perform excessively well with a 1.5way LSD (80% power / 40% coast). There are lots of aftermarket differential for old cars like this, so I don't understand why changing separately the coast/power is not possible.
Quote from Shotglass :how about rational numbers with limits?... you know kinds like the way gears work

save every gear as 2 ints and youre done

Yep, just set the amount of cogs for each gear pair and be done with it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG