The online racing simulator
LFS Community Awards 2008
(53 posts, started )
<3 Kev.

Have my kids?

EDIT: Nobody thinks about the award S14, infact I'm sure 90% of the drivers forget about this award until December anyhow
Tard.

Go back to watching that video, Scott.
I understand exactly what you are saying, and you need to look at it from the other perspective too. What if someone gets a label they don't want? If you get put on the top step then everyone looks up at you, no matter if you deserve it or want it. When you are up on that top step you have to be perfect, and even then people will still find a way to knock you down and hate you. You can't even talk about it without people thinking you're arrogant, every innocent comment will be taken the wrong way, you can go from the nicest guy in the world to an arrogant show off overnight through no fault of your own.

My advice is to not take these awards seriously enough to let it affect your opinion of the winners, if they were good people before they won a small award on an internet forum, then they will be good people afterwards and won't change. As I said the only danger is your perception of them, they might not act differently but you may treat them differently without realising it. Depending on the person, that will have different affects, some will want to be in that position and ignore the haters, others will not want it and stop doing something they enjoyed just to avoid the unwanted attention. In that case you will have lost a competitor you enjoyed racing with, and a friend you enjoyed talking to, just because your perception of them changed over a tiny meaningless title.

BTW I'm addressing the wider issue of competition driving bad attitudes, these awards are just for fun and really don't mean that much to the people that win them, it's just a bit of fun that can be used to promote more good humoured forum banter.
Yup you're right Quicksilver, especially in your first paragraph. But I'm sure the community isn't THAT bad (i hope!)
Quote from [DUcK] :Yup you're right Quicksilver, especially in your first paragraph. But I'm sure the community isn't THAT bad (i hope!)

Not on the whole no, but I wrote that from my own experiences in LFS, so it does happen. Some people will take things more seriously than others, you can end up with someone who doesn't care about winning being a champion, and someone in 6th who really wants to be a champion. In that situation there is bound to be some conflict, and conflict is something I do my best to avoid unless I really care about what is being fought over.

I am willing to bet some people will argue about the results of these awards, last time I seem to remember some of that went on, but mostly people know it's just for fun and the most we will get is some funny banter.

The only thing I feel a need to comment on is the lack of funny awards, okay there are a couple but there could be a few more. Maybe that's something to look into for next year.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :these awards are just for fun and really don't mean that much to the people that win them,

They don't mean that much to the people who lose. I made myself a trophy last year out of my own congealed blood.
Quote from thisnameistaken :They don't mean that much to the people who lose. I made myself a trophy last year out of my own congealed blood.

I see you are making a good effort to retain your title. I'm afraid I already nominated you as my favourite car though.
I'm voting for you this year FWIW. Xaotik had a good start to the season but he's had quiet periods.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'm voting for you this year FWIW. Xaotik had a good start to the season but he's had quiet periods.

The fact that he has been having periods is worrying in itself, but I'm honored to get at least one nomination, it might make all the time wasted playing with my testicles and typing on here worth it.

Good luck getting that image out of your head! Mwahahahaha!
:ices_rofl at the last sequence of posts.

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I understand exactly what you are saying, and you need to look at it from the other perspective too. What if someone gets a label they don't want? If you get put on the top step then everyone looks up at you, no matter if you deserve it or want it. When you are up on that top step you have to be perfect, and even then people will still find a way to knock you down and hate you. You can't even talk about it without people thinking you're arrogant, every innocent comment will be taken the wrong way, you can go from the nicest guy in the world to an arrogant show off overnight through no fault of your own.

My advice is to not take these awards seriously enough to let it affect your opinion of the winners, if they were good people before they won a small award on an internet forum, then they will be good people afterwards and won't change. As I said the only danger is your perception of them, they might not act differently but you may treat them differently without realising it. Depending on the person, that will have different affects, some will want to be in that position and ignore the haters, others will not want it and stop doing something they enjoyed just to avoid the unwanted attention. In that case you will have lost a competitor you enjoyed racing with, and a friend you enjoyed talking to, just because your perception of them changed over a tiny meaningless title.

BTW I'm addressing the wider issue of competition driving bad attitudes, these awards are just for fun and really don't mean that much to the people that win them, it's just a bit of fun that can be used to promote more good humoured forum banter.

Cheers, helped me see.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :If Lewis Hamilton wins Sports Personality of the year it doesn't mean he has a better personality than any other sports person

or that he has a personality
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

I just feel that it promotes a competitive (which also brings agressive) comparison and competition between the top flight of drivers. Some of whom, (but by no means all) are people with a lamp-post stuck so far up their ass, they think the sun shines out of their nostrils.

"omg do u no who i am?"
"No, who are you?"
"i am lfs forum best driver now gtfo n let me past"

That's just an example, and hopefully you can all understand why I said that, but thanks for not mauling me.

I can only think of one person who is like that, but I don't think he will be in the running for any awards.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :The fact that he has been having periods is worrying in itself,

Agreed. It's time for all those female LFS'ers to come out of the closet. Power, sisters!
Quote :but I'm honored to get at least one nomination, it might make all the time wasted playing with my testicles and typing on here worth it.

It's not wasted time. Loving yourself is the greatest love of all, they say.
Quote from wsinda :Loving yourself is the greatest love of all, they say.

Still, loving oneself five times a day is a bit worrying.
That's German if my Euro-hat is on correctly.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :That's German if my Euro-hat is on correctly.

Yeah, it is. That's why he said he might understand (some of) it.
Pretty simular languages.. kinda.
(since this is going ot now )

I read somewhere (read: Some pilloc claims) that many Europeans would understand each other remarkably well if they only spoke their own native language. I guess whoever said that has never been to Denmark
Just three days left to make your nominations!
Off-topic maybe..

Quote from hyntty :(since this is going ot now )

I read somewhere (read: Some pilloc claims) that many Europeans would understand each other remarkably well if they only spoke their own native language. I guess whoever said that has never been to Denmark

I think it's quite true. With some imagination I can decrypt Danish (it's that bad). German is easy even without education, French is quite difficult but English is easy too. The Germanic languages are easy because they're similar. Latin languages aren't.
Quote from hrtburnout :Off-topic maybe..

I think it's quite true. With some imagination I can decrypt Danish (it's that bad). German is easy even without education, French is quite difficult but English is easy too. The Germanic languages are easy because they're similar. Latin languages aren't.

actually once u know french, italian and spanish are a bit understandable too

and yea if u speak dutch, german is just like a weird dialect almost

scandinavian languages are weird tho
I speak French too, so I'm not too bad at trying to understand Spanish or Italian. I suppose most people haven't had as much French lessons as I have so far.
can i have a title for "biggest anti-F1 Ferrari on LFS" ?

LFS Community Awards 2008
(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG