The online racing simulator
Tesla Roadster
(67 posts, started )
Tesla Roadster
Dear friends,

the car that would boost LFS, and the automotive world, is the Tesla Roadster. I am sure, that you as developers, who have proven that a grassroot-concept like your fabulous simulation CAN work out, will get some support from the Teslamotors-Company if you put that car in.
And besides, you would not have to fumble round so much with the engine-sounds. ;-)

Regards,
Michael Eisner
www.mezzanin-livingroom.net
The thing that would boost LFS is the Scirocco. Be happy with that. The devs got a (...)load of work to do to finish the Scirocco. Let alone say S2 wich isnt finished. And now people speak about S3. Really people should enjoy LFS now for what we have now! And dream about the future!
no stress!
Of course, or "off corse" , I don´t want to push anyone. And I got big respect for the work that is beeing done. Be sure.
It was just an idea, worth thinking about.

Thanks,
Michael
I'm not sure what the website is for, but I doubt the devs will want to install plug sockets on the tracks at every half mile anyway.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I'm not sure what the website is for, but I doubt the devs will want to install plug sockets on the tracks at every half mile anyway.

hmm maybe its a good idea cos the new RAC is electric powered and needs to charge up
I don't think electric cars have a place in LFS. I live 2 miles away from one of the world's only Tesla dealerships, so I see quite a few in my area. I'm not impressed by them. Their build quality is shitty and on the ones I've seen on the road, the panels don't even fit correctly. When an electric car can go 400 miles on a single charge and top out at 180 mph, then i'll be impressed. Right now it goes 170 miles on a charge and tops out at 125 mph.
Charing in pit lanes in an electric car could be long, right?
Quote from flymike91 :I don't think electric cars have a place in LFS. I live 2 miles away from one of the world's only Tesla dealerships, so I see quite a few in my area. I'm not impressed by them. Their build quality is shitty and on the ones I've seen on the road, the panels don't even fit correctly. When an electric car can go 400 miles on a single charge and top out at 180 mph, then i'll be impressed. Right now it goes 170 miles on a charge and tops out at 125 mph.

180mph is a bit unnessescary dont you think?
I'd rather the electric cars, not that I think they are a remotely good idea, should concentrate on range and acceleration, not top speed. I don't think they need to go above 100mph EVER, but they should get to 60 in at least 10 seconds (for the shitty cheap models), and have a range on one charge of at least 800 miles. Plus they must be able to keep their charge for at least a month without being used - e.g. a long holiday.

At the moment the only thing the manufacturers are concerned about is either top speed or making them tiny. This means that for 99.9% of potential buyers they are an utter waste of money.

And, with electricity prices rocketting and fuel prices falling I can't see them becoming an more popular any time soon.
Quote from flymike91 :and tops out at 125 mph.

and youre allowed to do that speed in how many countries? certainly not yours
Quote from Vinnylegends :The thing that would boost LFS is the Scirocco. Be happy with that. The devs got a (...)load of work to do to finish the Scirocco. Let alone say S2 wich isnt finished. And now people speak about S3. Really people should enjoy LFS now for what we have now! And dream about the future!

what we have now..

easy for you to say your a newbie here..
Quote from Shotglass :and youre allowed to do that speed in how many countries? certainly not yours

It's because he's used to thinking in terms of the current car products available, where generally speaking top speed comes as a by product of acceleration and vice versa, (of course there are exceptions such as the Elise et al). The buying public have been brainwashed in to aspiring towards products with needlessly high top speeds and by the available products where to have "fast" mid-range acceleration you need a car with a high top speed. This behaviour is to a large extent a product of how combustion engines develop power. An Electric motor however works in a competely different way it has maximum torque from zero revs so esentially the mid range acceleration becomes entirely about gearing not about what revs your doing in combination with gears. In this respect the Tesla has midrange acceleration only very powerful petrol engined cars can dream of:

"Our top-gear acceleration measured 2.3 seconds for the 30-to-50- and 50-to-70-mph intervals. The Tesla’s 4.6-second total for the two tests bests that of a Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series, which was our 2007 champion in this measure of instant responsiveness."

http://www.caranddriver.com/re ... _tesla_roadster_road_test
Quote from Vinnylegends :The thing that would boost LFS is the Scirocco. Be happy with that. The devs got a (...)load of work to do to finish the Scirocco. Let alone say S2 wich isnt finished. And now people speak about S3. Really people should enjoy LFS now for what we have now! And dream about the future!

Be here for a year and u start to understand the frustration I mean uve beigh on lfs since june 2008 not venen half a year yet so you can stil talk like that
Quote from tristancliffe :I'd rather the electric cars, not that I think they are a remotely good idea, should concentrate on range and acceleration, not top speed. I don't think they need to go above 100mph EVER, but they should get to 60 in at least 10 seconds (for the shitty cheap models), and have a range on one charge of at least 800 miles. Plus they must be able to keep their charge for at least a month without being used - e.g. a long holiday.

Venturi Fetish: 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) time of "under 5 seconds" according to the 2007 press kit

Tesla Roadster: 0–60 mph (0–97 km/h) in 3.9 seconds

Tzero: 0 to 60 mph in 4.07 seconds

Mullen GT L1X-75: 0 to 60 in mere 3.1 seconds

Lightning GT: 0 to 60 in 4 seconds

Now for the consumer based electric cars:
Chevy Volt: 0 to 60 in a bit under 6

Chevy EV1: 0 to 60 in under 8

Ford Th!nk: 0 to 60 in under 7

Phoenix Truck: 0 to100 Km (0-60 m.p.h.) in 10 seconds

FIAT Panda SUV: 0 to 60 in 10 seconds

Ford F150 electric edition has the same acceleration as the regular F150

The conception that the electric car can't go fast is a myth

Also, the average American drives 60 miles a day. The longest NASCAR race is the Cola 600 (600 fricking miles). Why would any regular American consumer based electric car, nay ANY CAR, need to push the 800 miles mark? As long as they can go over 200 miles (which is the max that I drove in my trip from New York to the South in one day without stopping) then they are considered reasonable. (And electric cars can go even beyond that limit with lithium ion battery tech). Electric car may not be the answer to all of our problems. But they sure as hell beat the giant Hummers and SUV option....
When I first read the starting post, I thought what is Tesla Roadster and why OP isn't giving us any information.
But then someone mentioned that it's an electric car and so I thought simply no.

Electric cars aren't real cars and they don't belong to proper racing sim, I don't like the idea of devs putting their time into some boring electric-can.

Sorry if I'm being a bit harsh, but I just hate electric cars.
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Be here for a year and u start to understand the frustration I mean uve beigh on lfs since june 2008 not venen half a year yet so you can stil talk like that

Chris, Youre and R3DMAN's reply's are just completely useless.
Since when do we say that Obama will become a good president but he cant because hes a Newb. Thats just weird guys. Having a good pair of brains and respecting the work of the devs and being happy enough with a Scirocco doesnt relate that i joined the community in Jule.
Really guys. Think before you speak.
Quote from BigPeBe :When I first read the starting post, I thought what is Tesla Roadster and why OP isn't giving us any information.
But then someone mentioned that it's an electric car and so I thought simply no.

Electric cars aren't real cars and they don't belong to proper racing sim, I don't like the idea of devs putting their time into some boring electric-can.

Sorry if I'm being a bit harsh, but I just hate electric cars.

The only real difference - as far as racing is concerned - would be the sound of the car The rest would be pretty much the same. So while I certainly understand your statement, if you think about it it's not really based on any valid arguments.
I have a good argument, it is not a proper car.

And plus as how stupid it may be, car's sound is very important part of it.
Racing car has to sound like it's being nuts, if only thing it does is "bzzzzzzzzz" it doesn't make me feel anything.

Plus does electric cars even have a proper manual gearbox?

I want to smell the petrol.

Only important part of racing isn't who's gonna win. It's the cars making my heart beat going up and even feeling the sound on my chest.
Quote from BigPeBe :I have a good argument, it is not a proper car.

Define a "proper car" I think you'd be surprised at how well some electric cars perform, as you can tell by some of the statistics posted above.
Quote from BigPeBe :
And plus as how stupid it may be, car's sound is very important part of it.
Racing car has to sound like it's being nuts, if only thing it does is "bzzzzzzzzz" it doesn't make me feel anything.

You're absolutely right there. However, that's just a problem of "mentality" more than anything else. We just can't imagine racing in a car that hardly makes any sound, because we're so used to racing cars having that awesome loud roar.
Quote from BigPeBe :
Plus does electric cars even have a proper manual gearbox?

Good question, I haven't bothered to look that up but I'm sure someone else will answer that I think some of them do, some of them don't.
Quote from BigPeBe :I have a good argument, it is not a proper car.

How so? it moves, it has wheels, it's a vehicle. It's like saying back in the 50s or so that Jets aren't proper airplanes because they dont have propeller and use a different propulsion system and the fact that electric cars can rival many fuel based cars is already a testament to it's validity as a racing entity

Quote from BigPeBe :And plus as how stupid it may be, car's sound is very important part of it.

In that case than NASCAR is one of the purest type of race car because their sounds are much louder than a lot of other race cars...LOL I understand the mentality of a car having a loud sound but I really dont see that as a big deal...I mean I wouldn't mind the graceful hiss over the loud roar. It's just a sound for godsake, what about speed, handling, design....all that is MUCH more important than the sound of a car...
Quote from lizardfolk :The misconception that the electric car can't go fast is a myth

So the misconception is true then?
Quote from lizardfolk :Also, the average American drives 60 miles a day.

Does that include the grannies that might not do any, as well as the reps that might do 250 - 500 per day? Surely it's the high mileage people that need to be convinced to have any reasonably influence?

Quote from lizardfolk :The longest NASCAR race is the Cola 600 (600 fricking miles). Why would any regular American consumer based electric car, nay ANY CAR, need to push the 800 miles mark? As long as they can go over 200 miles (which is the max that I drove in my trip from New York to the South in one day without stopping) then they are considered reasonable. (And electric cars can go even beyond that limit with lithium ion battery tech). Electric car may not be the answer to all of our problems. But they sure as hell beat the giant Hummers and SUV option....

So you enjoy filling your car up with petrol every night? You never ever forget to fill up? I'm happy filling up my TINY fuel tank once a week after about 250 miles, and my car has a hateful range. A 'normal' car needs refuelling after 400 - 800 miles, so why should electric cars be any different? Cars don't have large fuel tanks because they can, it's because the consumers have demanded it. I don't want to have to recharge my car every single night. What if I go on a camping holiday? What if we have a power cut for most of the night? Will not having a charged car be a reasonable excuse not to go to work?
Quote from tristancliffe :So the misconception is true then?

Wrong vocabulary: conception

Quote from tristancliffe :Does that include the grannies that might not do any, as well as the reps that might do 250 - 500 per day? Surely it's the high mileage people that need to be convinced to have any reasonably influence?

It's easily upgradeable because of the lithium technology, there's an article that they are working on making the car 1,000 miles by increasing the battery's efficiency. It's not out yet but it's hardly impossible

Quote from tristancliffe :So you enjoy filling your car up with petrol every night? You never ever forget to fill up?

Ya actually I do especially on a road trip.

Quote from tristancliffe :I'm happy filling up my TINY fuel tank once a week after about 250 miles, and my car has a hateful range. A 'normal' car needs refuelling after 400 - 800 miles, so why should electric cars be any different? Cars don't have large fuel tanks because they can, it's because the consumers have demanded it. I don't want to have to recharge my car every single night. What if I go on a camping holiday? What if we have a power cut for most of the night? Will not having a charged car be a reasonable excuse not to go to work?

Which is why I'm for hybrids more than pure electric cars. As I've stated electric cars are hardly the answer we're looking for although they are much better than Hummers or SUVs. The best idea is solar but right now we dont have the technology to reasonably apply it to vehicles so that's out the window for now
Quote from lizardfolk :Wrong vocabulary: conception

I know
Quote from lizardfolk :It's easily upgradeable because of the lithium technology, there's an article that they are working on making the car 1,000 miles by increasing the battery's efficiency. It's not out yet but it's hardly impossible

Why not start with an efficient battery? Oh that's right, they haven't made a very good one yet. Sure you upgrade - fancy paying £20,000 whenever you want a range top up (although as you'll need to get new batteries every few years at roughly this cost anyway maybe it's not so bad).
Quote from lizardfolk :Ya actually I do especially on a road trip.

I don't mean the night before a road trip. I mean every night, because otherwise you'll range will be too small to do almost anything, especially emergencies.
Quote from lizardfolk :Which is why I'm for hybrids more than pure electric cars. As I've stated electric cars are hardly the answer we're looking for although they are much better than Hummers or SUVs. The best idea is solar but right now we dont have the technology to reasonably apply it to vehicles so that's out the window for now

Solar is NOT a good idea. Hybrids take the worst points of both carbon based fuels and chemical storage and merge them together to form a tremendous fail. Ultimately it's got to be either hydrogen fuel cells or nuclear power (using vaguely existing techology - but perhaps we'll discover something better before the oil runs out?).
I remember reading something on here about a system that Tesla claim could recharge the battery in 90 seconds. If there was a system that could recharge the car in 5 minutes it would make the technology easier to use.

That would be pointless in large cities where one could have the option of recharging in car parks, but useful elsewhere.
In LFS we wouldn't have to charge or change the battery anyway, so the Tesla Roadster sure gets my it has nice looks and great acceleration, plus it's electric so it can increase recognition for this type of cars even among the most die-hard petrolheads

Quote from tristancliffe :Hybrids take the worst points of both carbon based fuels and chemical storage and merge them together to form a tremendous fail.

You despise everything that does not run exclusively off petrol, after 13k posts this is a widely known fact but also a very partial vision of the problem

Cities around the world are just too noisy and polluted to dismiss an ingenious attempt to circumvent this problem - everyday reality is not about 20 lucky guys racing at some circuit, it's about zillions of shopping carts going forth and back, back and forth.

Those carts must be as safe, quiet and economic as they can.

Prius' fuel consumption is on par with a modern direct-injected turbo diesel without the need for a particulate filter, and that car is quieter than any ICE powered vehicle. In a urban environment it will do its best which is exactly where ICE vehicles fail big time.

Best thing is the Prius has been around for quite some time, so it's not a permanent 'up and coming' like hydrogen-powered cars which is something I've heard babbling about for what? 20 years at least? and still nothing.

It's still a bit expensive but people are happy to spend just as much for a much more traditional (=obsolete) car just because it bears a badge which some marketing genius has turned into some kind of sign of distinction

Tesla Roadster
(67 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG