The online racing simulator
Click Car On Map Focuses On That Driver
(29 posts, closed, started )
#1 - amp88
Anyone who's been an admin/race director will probably have encountered this situation. You see a car spinning on the minimap but you don't know what car it is. The only way to find out which car it is is to tab your way through the field until you get to it. On average this takes half the field (which can be anything up to 16 cars on a 32 car field). It would be a handy addition if you could click on a car on the minimap and be taken to that car (much like clicking on the controller type in the connection list takes you there now). The only problem I can see is that the minimap may not have a high enough resolution to uniquely identify multiple cars within a very small area.
+ 1 million
Nice.

Support++
+1 for me i would love to see this addition
#5 - VoiD
Excellent suggestion!

Should be in here, that´s for sure.
Good suggestion and original.

+1
Yep +1, would be a tad hard with rotating map on though.
I'm sure it's been suggested before, but only as part of another thread, not it's own. I remember because I commented on it

But yes, it's a good idea. And clicking the map to travel immediately to that point would be useful too.
The car icons on the map would need to be made bigger for this, imo. Maybe enlarge and/or show name on mouse-over.
I'd also like the minimap and car markers to have contrasted edges, in some conditions it can be hard to read.
OK, well I like the idea, but I see various issues. The buttons you click in the connections list are just that, LFS buttons. Static square areas that are pretty much fixed as an object already defined by LFS.

Everything you click in game with the mouse uses these buttons. The menus the replay controls etc etc. Even Insim utilises these great things. The map graphics, are rotating triangles so are probably not defined like any buttons in the GUI. So alot of work ahead to make them clickable and interactive since they are out of the regular buttons constraints.

The resolution on the map is not good either and you might have 10 cars in the same spot, clicking one will select the top one. Meaning you have to cycle through them all in that area or even cycle through the whole list anyway.

I think a better solution would be to have a yellow flag popup in the connections list next to the persons name. It wouldn't require reworking clickable buttons constructs as it could be another button like the Vote/Race end/Restart/W/Kn/Ks icon buttons. Only a tiny square or dot representing yellow flags is required.

If admins could see one or two yellow flags in the connections list then it would be easier to pick out those drivers crashing and causing a yellow - yes/no? Maybe even for blue flags as well using the same principle.

I think something like this has been suggested. But the map idea presents alot of issues. Connections list method would be a lot easier to implement into the current system. Well that's my 2 cents.
something to connect the minimap with the connection list maybe. Numbers would be great, if you have great eyes. Colors would be great if you have enough colors, but I guess we don't for a 32 player race. On a less likely note, we could skin our own little triangles or other shapes.
I think I need less sugar
-
+1 from me.

On the web panels that allow you to view inside the servers it is possible to click on peoples cars i beleive, but tabbing out of game and loading that up would take too long.

This is definetly a reasonable suggestion you have made.
+10.000.000 from me!
#15 - Osco
+1
Quote from amp88 :Anyone who's been an admin/race director will probably have encountered this situation. You see a car spinning on the minimap but you don't know what car it is. The only way to find out which car it is is to tab your way through the field until you get to it. On average this takes half the field (which can be anything up to 16 cars on a 32 car field). It would be a handy addition if you could click on a car on the minimap and be taken to that car (much like clicking on the controller type in the connection list takes you there now). The only problem I can see is that the minimap may not have a high enough resolution to uniquely identify multiple cars within a very small area.

We can added a Option to Zoom the minimap
+1 to OP
Wow a thread with no one -1!

I vote +1 too
...And some says devs aren't listening...
As a TV director/commentator, this is nearly as awesome as replay controls. THANK YOU!
ok, so everything has a click ID.
/me walks away

<<<< pwnd
This thread is closed

(29 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG