The online racing simulator
New Rig - LFS Crashes upon acceleration.
Hi All

I just got a new rig today, and I've installed LFS on it, I'm getting 100fps and whenever I accelerate it stutters and then shuts down the whole system.

Specifications

http://i33.tinypic.com/2el8e8l.png
You sure it's the acceleration and not just simply a few seconds after being placed on the grid? Because I have no idea what the acceleration could possibly do to your system to make it crash. The only thing that happens is that sound is played and force feedback commands are generated, though both also happen before hitting the throttle.

You could try installing the latest drivers for your soundcard respectively the onboard sound if you don't have a soundcard, and if you have a steering wheel also the latest wheel drivers.

Random things you could also try:
- Reinstall DirectX
- Reinstall the graphics card drivers

Most important is that you verify what actually causes the crash, because acceleration causing it is really really weird.
I have tried updating the drivers for both my graphics card, (NVIDIA 9500GS), and sound drivers. I'm checking that the resolution is running on same settings as my desktop, and that the hz is all set correctly.

A further investigation into Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 also shows me that this program is doing the same, but not as bad, however still cutting out the screen connection.

I don't understand how it could be my graphics card but all help appreciated.
Okay, that already sound much more sensible. From my best guess it could be either of those (in no particular order)

- Faulty graphics card
- Overheating graphics card
- Overheating CPU*
- Faulty memory
- Faulty or too low powered PSU*

* I think these are most likely

I'd first check the case for dust and if all the fans are seated correctly and working, then if everything looks OK install some sort of tool that shows you the CPU, GFX card, etc. temperature (there are plenty out there, some freeware/shareware product ought to do it). The best would be if it has a temperature logging function because in non 3D mode it's likely that it's not overheating at all. So fire up the game and when you feel it's shortly before breakdown Alt-Tab out of it and see what the temperature readings look like. Be advised that temperature readings can rise and fall very quickly when you enter/exit a game, that's why the logging would be advisable. If they are above 70°C for the CPU or above 90°C for the GFX card then you're in trouble and need new/better coolers. Below that should be fine, or at least not causing the sudden shutdowns.

That said, overheating of the GFX card normally results in plenty of artefacts before the system shuts down completely, whereas CPU overheating can cause everything to break down relatively quickly, so IMHO if it's overheating, then it's more likely the CPU than the GFX card.

The next most likely thing is that the PSU is faulty or simply not able to provide enough power to the system. Unfortunately I can't give more specific details on how much power you need or how to resolve this (other than trial and error with a better PSU), as I don't know what PSU you currently have nor what your CPU & GFX card combo actually need.
Does your system give any error message (most likely BSOD) or does it just reboot/shutdown? If you get some error message then post it here please, it can be helpful. If your system just instantly reboots, I suspect faulty or underpowered PSU, if it really shuts down so you have to turn in back on manually, your CPU is probably overheating.
If LFS freezes when he accelerates the it can't be his PC because it wouldn't run in the first place.

Try without your wheel/control. Also try without sound, could be the issue.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :If LFS freezes when he accelerates the it can't be his PC because it wouldn't run in the first place.

Try without your wheel/control. Also try without sound, could be the issue.

I believe that the acceleration is just a "false symptom" as the first thing you do when you start the game is hitting the gas and pulling out form pits or grid. LFS crashes few seconds after the heavy CPU and GPU stress (3D and physics engine running) causes something to break down which lead us to few suggestions mentioned above. IMHO has acceleration nothing to do with it at all...
Ok, then, OP - Leave your car in the garage for a while and don't give any throttle. :o

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG