The online racing simulator
I like the medal system to be used in dead heat, but not as relevant scoring system.
How about giving 10 points to the winner, and every 5 seconds after the finish crossing drops automatically by 1. Plus for the Ranking... so:

Winner crosses finish: -> 10 pts -> points for the second automatically drop by 1. if he does not cross the finish line within 5 seconds of the winner, it will drop by another point.

e.g.

Allmendinger would win -> 10 pts
Tracy finishs with 2,650s Gap -> 9 pts
M.Schumacher follows, but with 5,103s Gap to Tracy -> 7 pts
Bourdais spun in the last lap while trying to pass tracy because of having an exploded tyre, passing the line with 16,221s gap to Schumi -> 4pts
Now it's close: Vettel, Scheckter, Massa coming 3wide onto start/finish... Scheckter crosses first and having 3,298s to Bourdais -> 3pts
Vettel next with 0,019s to Scheckter -> 2pts
and finally Massa with 0,123s to Vettel -> 1pts

and, if it is needed... A.J. would get gold, Paul silver and Michael bronze...
Just give them a million quid and a point every time they overtake someone. And take it away every time they get overtaken, we'll soon find out who the true racers are.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Just give them a million quid and a point every time they overtake someone. And take it away every time they get overtaken, we'll soon find out who the true racers are.

I was about to say that's silly because faster drivers will deliberately slow down in qualifying just to be able to gain more poinits overtaking, but that actually sounds quite interesting.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Why not use the old CART system?

20-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-3-2-1

Pole: 1
Fastest lap: 1

F1 qualifly need to count the race fuel, so I don't think bouns for pole is not a good idea
#30 - JJ72
Quote from Mazz4200 :Just give them a million quid and a point every time they overtake someone. And take it away every time they get overtaken, we'll soon find out who the true racers are.

imagine two ferraris overtaking each other every single corner.
Quote from JJ72 :imagine two ferraris overtaking each other every single corner.

Make it so overtakes on team mates don't count?
Quote from scania :F1 qualifly need to count the race fuel, so I don't think bouns for pole is not a good idea

Well qualifying with race fuel is silly anyway and should get rid off.
Quote from ajp71 :This year the F1 drivers championship was won with 98 points, Nascar with 6684. Notice how one system favours simplicity whilst the other just produces big numbers because they impress people who can't count?

Yah... You know what's weird though?

If you take ALL the results from the GPs, and calculate the average finishing positions (which would be the fairest way of determining the best driver), Nick Heidfeld would've come second this season.

With the NASCAR point scheme applied to F1 this season, you get that same result. Heidfeld second.

Notice how F1 favors race winners, and NASCAR favors consistency (season winners).

NASCAR is not complicated for the sake of complexity. If you're determining the best driver after 35 races, you should make sure you determine the best driver after 35 races, which means consistency. Arguable the best points system in the world is that of NASCAR. The 5000+ points is only because of the chase system, in which all top 12 drivers start at 5000 points for the final races, to make sure the championship cannot be won by the guy in 13th.

This proposed Gold, Silver, Bronze system is the ONLY system which would make Massa champion, and I've tried a lot of used points systems.

If they use this system in F1, the WC will be determined by amount of luck, not the amount of skill.
Quote from TagForce :The 5000+ points is only because of the chase system, in which all top 12 drivers start at 5000 points for the final races, to make sure the championship cannot be won by the guy in 13th.

Why would that be a bad thing?
I'd like to see a even simpler system that penalises silly driving. 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.
Quote from scania :F1 qualifly need to count the race fuel, so I don't think bouns for pole is not a good idea

they want to give a point for the fastest of Q2... to make the qualifying more exciting With they I mean the Bernie and his mates
Quote from TagForce :This proposed Gold, Silver, Bronze system is the ONLY system which would make Massa champion, and I've tried a lot of used points systems.

unless i got something wrong yesterday evening the old 10-6-4-3-2-1 would have made massa world champion
Quote from Shotglass :unless i got something wrong yesterday evening the old 10-6-4-3-2-1 would have made massa world champion

Well not really as you have to take into account that with a different point system each team/driver would have adjusted their race strategies accordingly.
so youre saying hamilton would have actually put some effort into not being overtaken by vettel?
If I understand that correctly, a driver finishing 2nd place in all races, could never win the WDC ?

If that's right, than this medal system is just nonsense
Quote from TagForce :Yah... You know what's weird though?

If you take ALL the results from the GPs, and calculate the average finishing positions (which would be the fairest way of determining the best driver), Nick Heidfeld would've come second this season.

With the NASCAR point scheme applied to F1 this season, you get that same result. Heidfeld second.

Notice how F1 favors race winners, and NASCAR favors consistency (season winners).

NASCAR is not complicated for the sake of complexity. If you're determining the best driver after 35 races, you should make sure you determine the best driver after 35 races, which means consistency. Arguable the best points system in the world is that of NASCAR. The 5000+ points is only because of the chase system, in which all top 12 drivers start at 5000 points for the final races, to make sure the championship cannot be won by the guy in 13th.

This proposed Gold, Silver, Bronze system is the ONLY system which would make Massa champion, and I've tried a lot of used points systems.

If they use this system in F1, the WC will be determined by amount of luck, not the amount of skill.

Wrong, using pre 2003 points rules massa would of won as well.
Quote from ATHome :If I understand that correctly, a driver finishing 2nd place in all races, could never win the WDC ?

If that's right, than this medal system is just nonsense

Whats the point of winning a title if you were never the best driver at any race?
Quote from Mustafur :Whats the point of winning a title if you were never the best driver at any race?

Who says that the winner always is the best driver?
Without lap lead and most laps lead bonuses (not that much data on it) Hamilton would still have won using the NASCAR system, he also would have won with the Superleague Formula system.
Quote from Mustafur :Whats the point of winning a title if you were never the best driver at any race?

The muilti round championship was introduced because it's better at finding the best driver overall. The Karting World Championship for most of it's history has been done over one weekend. You win and your champion and that's it.

Even though it remains the 1 championship everyone wants to win, the muilti-round European Championship is considered a better indicator of who really is the best driver overall.

I do believe that the winner of a race should be awarded a significant advantage in points, however I don't believe that winning a race is the be all and end all.

The championship is the REAL race and you drive to win that. You can't win the championship in one race, but you can lose a bug chunk of points.

Richards Burns won just ONE rally in 2001, and he went on to win the championship. The championship is what you have to A I M for. The best driver will achieve that goal.

This medal system is a gimmick and will not make THAT much difference. it's the cars, not the points systems that equates to a lack of overtaking in F1.
I don't believe too much emphasis should be put on winning. For example IMO a driver that finishes 2nd or 3rd in every race is a better driver than the guy that wins 4 times and places 5th every other race. So IMO there needs to be a way in which consistantly high performing drivers have a chance of winning the WDC.
Imo the top 10 should get points and 1st gets a bit advantage as well, like:

15, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
I posted it first! I was going to post a few of my ideas here, but they have already been covered. 1 point for pole might be a good idea, though I can see some flaws in it, but I would prefer a change to the quali system! More incentive to win could be good or bad - possibly more exciting races, with drivers really wanting to win, but there needs to be rewards for the consistent drivers.
the point system has to keep in mind these main catagorys:

-Slower cars(we dont want multiple drivers/teams having scored no points)

-Consistant drivers

-Drivers that can win

-Drivers that have pace

If there is a combination of all those in a points system it would be perfect imo.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG