The online racing simulator
#1 - Vain
[Repost] Better setups in next patch
The standard-setup-problem is a problem that exists very long and people seem to forget about it quite fast. Also this problem sheds a very bad light on LFS because some of the race_1 or hardtrack-setups are unbearable. Just yesterday I accidentaly drove the XRT with the race_1 setup and wondered what I did to this car that it behaved so extremely bad. I thought I broke my wheel or so. It's a shame that everyone who is new to LFS tries to drive with these setups.
So everyone knows the problem. And everyone knows a solution. And there is a patch coming someday soon. So this might be a good day to just get rid of the problem.

I'm not demanding WR setups. Just something drivable. Bob has shown that there are setups with that everyone can agree.

Btw this suggestion has never made it into the suggestion-log.

Vain
ya, i think bob should have a joint alliance with the devs with him and his real and basic race setups

surprising it hasnt made it into the log yet.. its been brought up hundreds of times
The devs obviously decided to do something about this with the introduction of the race_1 setups, which were something of an improvement over the default sets. Still bad though. They should get someone who knows what they're talking about to sort it out.

I think the problem is that it takes time to develop setups for a new patch (if there are physics changes anyway), find out how everything works together now. So in order to have those setups released with the patch, one of the beta testers need to create the setups that ship with the game. No one has ever admitted to creating the race_1 sets (I'm assuming Scawen made the default sets) but then the beta testers are very tight lipped about everything. I've not been given such an honour (and frankly I don't have time to be of much use for that anyway) so I think they're going to remain something I release a couple of weeks after a patch.
iirc Flotch made the default setups (well, Race_1). His aim was get get a setup that is controllable, valid for every track, and works with any controller. And I don't think he spent a long time on it. The result is, of course, a setup that isn't particularly good with any controller, and isn't good at any particular track either. But when it's got to cope with keyboards, mousers, wheels, at Blackwood to South City, with a massive range of driver talent, then it's not surprising it's bad.

Bob should have his sets incorportated, but I think he spent a bit longer on them than Flotch did, so it's hardly surprising they're better. How are Bob's setups on every track with every controller?
It seems a bit odd since they are saying on the main site www.liveforspeed.net that:

Quote from www.liveforspeed.net :It is therefore highly recommended to play the sim with a wheel, because even though you can use keyboard and/or mouse, a wheel is what you use in a real car, so a wheel should be used in a serious racing simulator.

Then they give kb setups for the cars?

Making one setup to suit all kinds of controls isn't exactly wise. Should be obvious that mouse needs little different and kb totally different setups?

Though the race_1 set for XRT isn't that bad. I used it quite lot in the demo
#6 - ORION
The actual setups with keyboard are not really much different, the problem are the default keysettings which are much to slow. Generally keyboard steering is much too slow, specially when losing the rear on RWD cars.
Lets keep thumbs up that with the new patch the cars would be much more easier to keep on road, so the need for better setups instead of the joke_setup.sets wouldn't be that critical anymore.
Quote from Vain :The standard-setup-problem is a problem that exists very long and people seem to forget about it quite fast. Also this problem sheds a very bad light on LFS because some of the race_1 or hardtrack-setups are unbearable. Just yesterday I accidentaly drove the XRT with the race_1 setup and wondered what I did to this car that it behaved so extremely bad. I thought I broke my wheel or so. It's a shame that everyone who is new to LFS tries to drive with these setups.

Vain

For me, when i start with LFS this was most ineresant detail.
Flotch didn't make any of the race_1 sets. I think some more controllable setups would definitely be needed for the patch. I know that some of the race_1 setups tried to use more realistic values to the actual reallife car it represents, but... hmm some people prefer some different kinds. I think overall a race_1 setup would have to be fast, but they wouldn't be as fast as when the setups start to evolve from faster drivers. In the end, they should be made for amateur drivers that want to get some fast times with an easier setup. As long as they are decent and can tackle just about any sprint race or longer, then that is cool.
Someday, I downloaded a ZIP with two types of setups. Road and easy race. This could be both, [Road tarmac] and race_1 setups, couldn't?

The cars with aero had 2 race setups, LOW aero and HIGH aero.
Yep, those are my packs.
What about linking to Inferno Setupfield - a banner or something (in garage menu!)

You can download premade setups from setupfield.teaminferno.hu
Quote from Tweaker :Flotch didn't make any of the race_1 sets.

Oh, my bad, I thought he did.
Hmm... I also taught that. Who did them then?
#15 - Vain
No one did them. At least no one wants to admit to commiting this crime against car-dynamics.

Vain

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG