The online racing simulator
Fbm vs Xrg & Xfg gearbox
(24 posts, started )
Fbm vs Xrg & Xfg gearbox
Hello i wanted to ask why cars like Xrg and Gfg can change gear without throttling down between changeing gear and its just a normal car gearbox. And why Fbm what is a raceing car must have throttle down between changeing gears if its a sequencial gearbox, isnt this damn thing?
#2 - J@tko
Quote from L@gger :Hello i wanted to ask why cars like Xrg and Gfg can change gear without throttling down between changeing gear and its just a normal car gearbox. And why Fbm what is a raceing car must have throttle down between changeing gears if its a sequencial gearbox, isnt this damn thing?

1. Autoclutch? (I've no idea tbh)

2. Because thats what happens in real life.
Normal car is with automat(average car doenst have automat) and raceing FBM car without what it is i cant understand it
#4 - SamH
In the real Formula BMW, you cannot change gear without lifting off the accelerator. The FBM is modelled directly on the Formula BMW. That's the reason the FBM is the way it is.
Yea and the reason why cars like XRG and XFG don't recommend that in your case, are because you are probably using just regular +/- (sequential) style shifter and no clutch, so the game has to "imitate" the drivers actions during shifting (lift off throttle, engage clutch, push gear in, disengage clutch), so the only job that is left for you is tell when to change gear and to what gear.
Its ok but i think its really unrealistic. That for car it is doing game it looks really sux if u see fbm where u must throttle down and car drivers can change gear without throttle down
#7 - J@tko
Get in an FBM and upshift without taking your foot off the throttle then.
Get in a car and upshift without throttle the same ...
#9 - G!NhO
it IS realistic because the FBM really exsists and it works the same on the real car..............get it?
#10 - neRu
To be fair, try disabling the automatic shift in LFS and use your buttons to shift in the car. You will fry your clutch in no time. The FBM's sequential gearbox isnt designed to shift using a clutch like the other cars, but you CAN shift even with your foot down, if you use the clutch at the same time. The clutch will then fry on you in the matter of 2-3 shifts
Sequential and H-shifter patterns are totaly different, hence why this 'issue' occurs. It is meant to be like this.
Quote from G!NhO :it IS realistic because the FBM really exsists and it works the same on the real car..............get it?

It doesn't make sense. With my average car if I change with full throttle, I will heat the engine , the clutch and the gearbox.

The formula BMW does not have semi-automatic transmission?
Quote from Kaoru :It doesn't make sense. With my average car if I change with full throttle, I will heat the engine , the clutch and the gearbox.

The formula BMW does not have semi-automatic transmission?

it has a sequential gearbox
Quote from G!NhO :it has a sequential gearbox

It means that you have the clutch pedal?
Obviously you need a clutch pedal or you won't be able to stop and set off without stalling. >__>

WTCC cars have sequential gearboxes with clutch pedal, as does the Ascari A10, a handfull of other racetrack stuff, and F1 cars. They have auto clutchy things/ignition cut and a different gearbox design so can be changed without using the clutch. Motorcycle gearboxes work in much the same way.
So the formula bmw had the pedal clutch. that's a curious news ^ ^"
I supposed it doesn't have.

So why the xrg/xfg have the autoclutch / ignition cut (always talking about simulation)? @.@
Well if I press my clutch pedal down, it disengages the clutch, and if you did but listen to the engine when pulling away, you can hear the clutch slipping.

XFG/XRG does not have ignition cut BECAUSE IT IS A ROAD CAR

Seriously, some things just aren't worth explaining.
Quote from Kaoru :

So why the xrg/xfg have the autoclutch / ignition cut (always talking about simulation)? @.@

They really doesn't. The sim does.

Let me quote myself:
Quote :Yea and the reason why cars like XRG and XFG don't recommend that in your case, are because you are probably using just regular +/- (sequential) style shifter and no clutch, so the game has to "imitate" the drivers actions during shifting (lift off throttle, engage clutch, push gear in, disengage clutch), so the only job that is left for you is tell when to change gear and to what gear.

So tell me, if the sim wouldn't do these actions for you, who/what would?

Get yourself a H-pattern gearstick and a clutch and put all these gear "assists" off, now you have to do it all by yourself.

And the fact that some cars have sequential or H-pattern, it doesn't affect for the being of the clutch pedal.
Some cars just operate clutch automatically, usually with sequential boxes. Most race cars still need the driver to use clutch while he wants to get his car moving, but when you are on the move and want to change gear, many race cars operate the clutch automatically, in some cars you have to lift off by yourself and in some cars don't, they usually have ignition cut or something similar to prevent going ballistic with the revs.

Most cars have H-pattern gearbox and I myself don't know any regular H-pattern car with auto-clutch.

Automatic gearboxes are different thing, they usually don't have clutch pedal, but they also suck.

-EDIT- Just tested this in LFS, I myself normally use H-pattern with clutch, so I wasn't 100% sure how the sequential mode works in LFS with regular cars.
It doesn't anymore automatically lift off from the throttle while changing gear (like it did in older patches), so changing gear up without lifting off results in sudden raise in revs, like it would do in real life.
If you use this "flat shifting" method, the clutch starts to over-heat. If you do enough laps you will eventually destroy the clutch with this style, wich is quite realistic.
So I don't see the problem here?
Ok boys calm down.
I was only surprised that with the FBM you are FORCED to NOT use the autoclutch, when with the other cars you can have all the electronics doing everything for you. Low-medium class cars like the XFG and XRG are inspired from does not have the sequential gearshift and all the other things.
Was all that the problem.
Quote from Kaoru :I was only surprised that with the FBM you are FORCED to NOT use the autoclutch, when with the other cars you can have all the electronics doing everything for you. Low-medium class cars like the XFG and XRG are inspired from does not have the sequential gearshift and all the other things.

Ok, you got it all wrong

XFG and XRG do not have ignition cut, they come with a standard manual with no electronics whatsoever. As a rule of thumb everyday road cars do not have true sequentials, though there are other fancy electronic-assisted transmissions which are marketed as such.

OTOH the FBM has a true sequential without ignition cut - you definitely can use autoclutch with it, as it's a simple driving aid that engages/disengages the clutch for you when needed. E.g. you will be able to upshift from neutral to first without doing anything else or stalling the engine. Try turning it off and you'll see for yourself.

If you want to know more about how transmission work IRL, follow this link.
Quote from NightShift :Ok, you got it all wrong

XFG and XRG do not have ignition cut, they come with a standard manual with no electronics whatsoever. As a rule of thumb everyday road cars do not have true sequentials, though there are other fancy electronic-assisted transmissions which are marketed as such.

OTOH the FBM has a true sequential without ignition cut - you definitely can use autoclutch with it, as it's a simple driving aid that engages/disengages the clutch for you when needed. E.g. you will be able to upshift from neutral to first without doing anything else or stalling the engine. Try turning it off and you'll see for yourself.

If you want to know more about how transmission work IRL, follow this link.

I know what is it XD
i think we are all getting confused because it's difficult for me to find the right translation.

I have tried now what you said: changing the gears from N to 1. it use automatically the clutch, but for all the other gears i can't see the clutch bar on gearshift on the bottom-right side of the screen.
it means that it doesn't use the auto-clutch, yes?
But using the XFG without changing the settings it use automatically the clutch pedal on gearshift. that's the problem that i can't understand.
Why XFG yes and FBM not.
Quote from Kaoru :I know what is it XD

I believe the problem is exactly this: you think you know how transmissions work IRL, but you really don't.

Quote from Kaoru :but for all the other gears i can't see the clutch bar on gearshift on the bottom-right side of the screen.

If you needed the clutch to shift gears, then what good a sequential would be?

Quote from Kaoru :Why XFG yes and FBM not.

XFG/XRG = Standard manual
FBM = True sequential with no ignition cut

If the car has a sequential you only use the clutch for the take off, stopping, and to avoid stalling the engine in case of a spin.

I can't really make it simpler than that.
Quote :If the car has a sequential you only use the clutch for the take off, stopping, and to avoid stalling the engine in case of a spin.

oh ok... that explain everything.... sorry to everyone for the waste of time >.< i had misunderstood the it.wiki.
sorry ç____ç

Fbm vs Xrg & Xfg gearbox
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG