The online racing simulator
does not allow local addresses
(17 posts, started )
well
i want to play lfs with a friend
we are at the university and the IPs we have are 150.140 etc
so i want to start a local host but it won't let me.
what do i do?
Have him make a server on the LAN and connect directly to it?
lfs won't accept IPs like 150.140.z.z as LAN addresses.
Try setting up a VPN.
can't do vpn here.

why does it have to forbid using these IPs ?

hello?
Use hamachi and quit da bitchin'.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Use hamachi and quit da bitchin'.

Hamachi won't help, it also uses IP:s what LFS wont allow.
Quote from the_angry_angel :rfc1918.

well, the lan addresses in the network i am located are of the form 150.140.

it is a lan. we have a gateway and all. (ok i am not so sure about this bit)

what am i supposed to do now?
Quote from george_tsiros :well, the lan addresses in the network i am located are of the form 150.140.

I'm not necessarily disputing that, but it isn't a 100% valid setup (assuming that they don't own that legacy address space), /technically/ and very, very broadly speaking. There are all sorts of commentry that could be had on that, but it's very boring and isn't going to resolve your problem.

Quote from george_tsiros : what am i supposed to do now?

I'd try and have a friendly chat with the techies that run and support the network, over a beer or something, and see if there's a solution they can provide for you. Or you setup a VPN (or other form of tunnel) to play over.
If both PC's are connected to single router, try changing IPs to like 192.168.1.50 < your pc, and 192.168.1.51 < friends pc. But it will not work if you are not behind single router (sorry for mine bad english)
You cannot run LFS LAN server under these circumstances as LFS won't allow you to run server not having it's IP in the RFC1918 specified range. It is a cracking prevention. Why don't you just set up a password-protected internet server? I believe that your IP is not behind a NAT(at least my uni network always assigns me a public non-NATed IP) so unless the ports are blocked you can easily create a server like that.
That makes me wonder how lfs feels about windows' automatic IPs (169.something).
And yeah, if you can't change the IPs, VPN will likely be your only solution; or play via a private internet server.
Quote from the_angry_angel :I'm not necessarily disputing that, but it isn't a 100% valid setup (assuming that they don't own that legacy address space), /technically/ and very, very broadly speaking.

The whole 150.140.0.0 - 150.140.255.255 range is owned by "University of Patras Network" in Greece, so it would seem to be a correct setup (And, most importantly, set up just the way the internet is supposed to work )
Quote from Kegetys :The whole 150.140.0.0 - 150.140.255.255 range is owned by "University of Patras Network" in Greece

You appear to be correct in that sense, however I did say "assuming that the university doesn't own the address space".

I did, however, make the completely incorrect assumption that it was it a different range (i.e. one the university didn't own), which was a bit of a mistake (I've seen a lot of networks in iana reserved space recently, so I guess I jumped to conclusions :o)

My apologies
so, what am i supposed to do now?
As suggested before, forget LAN and setup password protected internet server, it should work perfectly...

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG