The online racing simulator
were to sell racing photos
(35 posts, started )
hi
i was wondering if anyone knows were i can sell racing photos i have taken to help save up for a g25
plz post links to any goo sites you know
thx
It's not usually that easy. You might want to try the venue you shot at first. They might have a need for something that represents what goes on there. Next stop would be the people/cars that are actually in the photos. Are they professional racers or track day people who might want a good shot of their cars in action?

Last resort, google "automotive stock photography." You'll get a whole mess of places that sell stock photos, and subsequently are always in the market for new shots. If your photos have some sort of universal appeal and/or application, you'll have more luck making sales with them. These sites will all take a percentage of your sale though, sometimes up to and beyond 50%. Selling directly to the venue or person in the shot will let you net 100% profit.
You also have to have permission from the track to sell I think

check in here you might find something, if not then more likely to see if you're photo's are up to standard.

Happy hunting
Where depends on a few things, like do you mean internet (create your own website, use photobox pro galleries, forums where those in your photos frequent, stock photo sites etc), or real life (at a track, place where you've taken then previously, places where you'd find people that are in your photos).

Mainly depends on how good your photos are. If they are crap it narrows your options...
No offense, but they all look quite blurry to be selling them. Though it may be tough to say with such small preview images to look at.

What camera and typical shutter speed were you using?
#7 - amp88
Quote from Alistair :here are my photos

Did you actually take these photos? If so what year were they taken?
First off, if you don't spell properly no one is going to take you seriously, especially in descriptions of photos or when trying to sell them.

Le Mans isn't the best place to get pictures on your side of the fence, (or sell them as I assume there are restrictions on that) as they are too far away or fences get in the way. So if you are going to try and sell any, they need to be good (as those accredited togs will be closer and better than you). These are not - too far away, blurry, out of focus, camera shake etc.

Show us some more recent work...
. . . The link won't work because of a scheduled outage or something like that :P.
Quote from amp88 :Did you actually take these photos? If so what year were they taken?

Looks like 2008 Legend Race, I could be wrong though...
No one is going to want to buy those photos, few people would be interested if you gave them away for free. Photographing major events is a bad idea if you intend to sell your pictures because, apart from the issue of permissions, lots of other photographers will have taken far better pictures, some of which will usually be available for free. If you want to make money from racing photos then take photos at local events and sell them directly to drivers at the next meeting. They will need to be of a high quality, nothing like the ones you've posted, and nicely printed if you expect to sell any. If you want to save some money up get a paper round.
The thing to do is build up a portfolio of work, and get friendly with a club. Offer to take photos for the club. Then get a letter from the club saying when/where they're racing and that you are 'official club photographer' and send it to your local paper asking for a media pass. This gets you into the good areas on the live side of the fences for photography.

Once you've got quality photos, you can then sell them to your club and smaller publications perhaps. You need to sell about 50 photos per race to even begin to break even and cover the costs of transport and camera equipment.

You will also need a nice, but not excessively fancy website on which you can sell photos and take orders, which means you'll need to pay for hosting and domain names - freebie websites don't tend to attract people with their credit cards out.

Good luck - it sounds as though you'll need it.
Quote from Alistair :hi
i was wondering if anyone knows were i can sell racing photos i have taken to help save up for a g25
plz post links to any goo sites you know
thx

They will have to be of extreme quality to be of any value. There are loads of us ameteur photographers who enjoy motorsport. Best bet is to set up a website to put them on and then add some Adsense advertising but the earnings will be tiny tbh.
What about DeviantArt? I'm sure they have a method of selling your prints and stuff. I've never used it myself (I only signed up for Photoshop brushes ) but accounts are free and it has a large userbase. And it gives you somewhere to point people if you want to show them your work.

There's a lot of stunning stuff up there too.

www.deviantart.com
Quote from tristancliffe : This gets you into the good areas on the live side of the fences for photography.

Once you've got quality photos, you can then sell them to your club and smaller publications perhaps. You need to sell about 50 photos per race to even begin to break even and cover the costs of transport and camera equipment.

And you need to be 18 and usually have PLI.

Plus, if you want to use photography as a way to save for a G25, then you'll be waiting a while to make a profit, my SLR I bought in '04 was 3 times the cost of a G25...
#18 - 5haz
Quote from Dajmin :What about DeviantArt? I'm sure they have a method of selling your prints and stuff. I've never used it myself (I only signed up for Photoshop brushes ) but accounts are free and it has a large userbase. And it gives you somewhere to point people if you want to show them your work.

There's a lot of stunning stuff up there too.

www.deviantart.com

Only problem with DeviantART is that everyone just posts comments saying 'Omg thatzzz well niceeee', even when you virtually beg them for some constructive critiscism.
Quote from 5haz :Only problem with DeviantART is that evryone just posts comments saying 'Omg thatzzz well niceeee', even when you virtually beg them for some constructive critiscism.

I have noticed that, never seen ONE word of negativity there, even when work is crap. Don't think that translates into a) work actually being good or b) money though.

That said there is a lot of really great work on dA, you'll have a hard time to beat it.
#20 - 5haz
Quote from pb32000 :I have noticed that, never seen ONE word of negativity there, even when work is crap. Don't think that translates into a) work actually being good or b) money though.

That said there is a lot of really great work on dA, you'll have a hard time to beat it.

Its because of the whole Picture comments 4 picture comments thing, people favourite your work and then expect you to favourite some of theirs, its not really about the art.

Ironically, ever since I bought a better camera, my pictures have got worse, was wondering if anyone knows any sites with tips on how to shoot fast moving things such as cars? I nearly always end up getting depth wrong and having a sharp background with blurry cars.
Quote from 5haz :

Ironically, ever since I bought a better camera, my pictures have got worse, was wondering if anyone knows any sites with tips on how to shoot fast moving things such as cars? I nearly always end up getting depth wrong and having a sharp background with blurry cars.

Practice 'panning' and use as fast a shutter as you can
#22 - 5haz
Quote from Gentlefoot :Practice 'panning' and use as fast a shutter as you can

Thanks but it's more depth that I have a problem with, I see in many good racing photos that the foreground/background is out of focus while the cars are sharp, I always seem to get it wrong.

Also with a fast shutter I seem to lose the 'sense of speed'.

I guess its a case of trial and error.
Quote from boothy :Plus, if you want to use photography as a way to save for a G25, then you'll be waiting a while to make a profit, my SLR I bought in '04 was 3 times the cost of a G25...

Fair point. With the cost of an entry level SLR and decent 400mm lens easily getting you into the £600 bracket you'd need to do a lot of selling to afford a G25. By which time you'd have decided to use the money to get a 700mm lens instead or something.
Quote from 5haz :Thanks but it's more depth that I have a problem with, I see in many good racing photos that the foreground/background is out of focus while the cars are sharp, I always seem to get it wrong.

Also with a fast shutter I seem to lose the 'sense of speed'.

I guess its a case of trial and error.

What sort of camera / lens are you using?, can you use your camera in full manual mode?, something I think is pretty important to do.

It's certainly not trial and error, you need to know about metering, aperture and shutter speed and how they all work together.
#25 - 5haz
Quote from danowat :What sort of camera / lens are you using?, can you use your camera in full manual mode?, something I think is pretty important to do.

It's certainly not trial and error, you need to know about metering, aperture and shutter speed and how they all work together.

Yes I do know how Apeture and Shutter speed effect exposure amongst other things.

Obviously I can adjust the 'depth of field' just like any other good camera, buts its incredibly fiddly on the LCD viewfinder (Its not a proper SLR) to see what it is focussing on, so i end up with perhaps the grass infront of the car in focus.

(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG