The online racing simulator
Internet Explorer 8
(13 posts, started )
Internet Explorer 8
It is the first one I get along with and in a fascinating way, it’s useful! It lets me finally get updates and is nicely fast. I know chrome is out but this is an IE8BV2 thread ... so what do you guys think?
Quote from chavm481 :so what do you guys think?

I think if a company make seven crappy browsers in a row, there's no reason whatsoever for me to try their eighth version.

What can it do that Firefox or Opera cant do?
Shame it can't render pages properly. More fun for web designers.
It won't get me away from Firefox I installed IE7 the other day, and for some reason it doesn't have an internet connection lol..
stil love a mix of chrome and fox but this is very nice, but its not correctlty rendered beacuase teyre in beata 2 and has no spell check..
..And the fact they have implemented version-specific rendering modes. Awesome work M$.

Full CSS2.1 support is good, but so long overdue it's unreal.

And talking of spell checking...
Quote from The Moose :I think if a company make seven crappy browsers in a row, there's no reason whatsoever for me to try their eighth version.

What can it do that Firefox or Opera cant do?

This.
I see no point in installing other browsers when IE works fine. Firefox and Opera have always had just as many problems so there was no need to waste the extra space.
opera i never really got along with but i still have the fox.. i has lots of browsers
Quote from sil3ntwar :I see no point in installing other browsers when IE works fine. Firefox and Opera have always had just as many problems so there was no need to waste the extra space.

Eh, Firefox might have problems but it's a much better piece of software than IE. I stopped using IE back when it was in version 6. And what a relief it is that I did, I don't see myself going back to IE unless something catastrophic happens to the fox.
#11 - wien
Quote from sil3ntwar :I see no point in installing other browsers when IE works fine.

Why do you hate me so? Not having IE to worry about would make my job 4 million percent more enjoyable. With IE8 arriving I'll have yet another browser I have tweak my sites to work in. That's special CSS and Javascript I have to write for IE6, IE7 and IE8. All the others seem to manage with the same code. It's just depressing.

And don't even get me started on the technologies IE just doesn't support, full stop. Oh how I yearn for ubiquitous SVG support. And the canvas tag. And the video/audio tags. And CSS3.

Sigh...
Being a Flash developer, I don't have quite the same concerns as wien, but being a former web developer I can understand them completely. IE6 was a nightmare to code for, and everything had to be fudged around it's stupid inconsistencies and refusal to adopt standards.

IE8 should, in theory, conform to international standards but we'll see.
#13 - wien
Quote from durbster :IE8 should, in theory, conform to international standards but we'll see.

If the betas are anything to go by, it's not looking good. CSS 2.1 is most of the way there but still is a bit quirky in my experience. Most bothersome are the outright bugs where parts of the design will suddenly disappear for no apparent reason. Very similar to the IE6 "peekaboo" bugs, but they're triggered differently. Fun, fun fun.

JS, or more specifically DOM support, is of course nowhere near where it needs to be, XHTML still isn't properly supported, and SVG just isn't there.

To sum up: meh.

Internet Explorer 8
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG