The online racing simulator
#1 - Offog
Automatic save of setup for best lap
I've tried to do it by myself, but my knowledge of modern programming languages calls for actualisation.

My idea is that almost all LFS racers sometimes are in situation that they're work out some good setup, and after tweaking it, they find themself in the place where it would be better to return setting to previous one but unfortunatelly it is not possible to revert all changes.
My question/suggestion is to prepare program that would check if current lap is the best done to date, and if it's true, this program would store current setup automatically with filename containing short name of track including configuration index (BL2, AS5, WE1 etc) as well, as time recorded using this specific setup. According to my knowledge about other programs using Insim data (LFSLapper, Cruise mods, LFSRelax etc) preparation of such program wouldn't be such a big task for programmers having already some achievments in our not-so-small community.
Is there anybody interrested in such "project"?
I don't have time for such a project, but I like the idea! One thing to bear in mind is that sometimes a better setup doesn't make for a better laptime. I would go one step further and save setups for the fastest splittimes.
#3 - Offog
Quote from traxxion :(...)sometimes a better setup doesn't make for a better laptime.

So You think, best recorded _lap_ time is not function of best setup?
I guess he thinks about unstable/exploited setups from hotlap 'aliens', which can provide decent laptime, but using them is rather like using baloon doll
Quote from Offog :So You think, best recorded _lap_ time is not function of best setup?

That's right Sometimes your split times can be faster, but you just can't get the splits together.. that's why I think storing setups by split times is much more interesting. Also, this would give an interesting insight on setup changes and their influence on sector times.
#6 - Offog
Hmmm... It's still subject out of my imagination. Perhaps I am just too schematic racer to be familiar with unstable setups.
Besides... Don't You think guys, that such unstable setup can be usefull for people that can achieve their objectives - qualification for pole position, or winning the game? So personally I don't think that at this stage it's important to decide about judgement method of setups usefullness.
Oh, and I can imagine, that such a program could let user decide by parametrisation, what method is preffered.
I'm not talking about unstable setups unlike what your Polish friend suggests
I'm saying that for putting down a good laptime, you need, apart from skills, a bit of luck. Because sometimes you just can't get that laptime (after a couple of tries) which you know is possible with the setup; putting the best splittimes together tells you that a perfect lap would mean a better laptime and that all that is needed is more practise with the setup.
With the application you're suggesting, that setup wouldn't be saved, because you didn't improve your laptime. With my suggestion, that laptime would be saved because the split times are faster.
So bascily like an undo button?
#9 - Offog
Quote from Olumuyiwa :So bascily like an undo button?

Rather "revert" button. It would reverse changes to previous visit in garage. Good suggestion, but possiblity to store best setups expands it's functionality, because makes it possible to analize them, deduct neccessary changes and act accordingly to conclusions.

Finally I've understood what is Traxxion idea. So You suggest that save should be done for laps which have all split times better, because it's potentially possible that loosing on one split and gaining on another will give better lap time, while it can be just effect of slip stream usage, that falsify real value of setup. I agree absolutelly, this is propper way of setup judgement.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG