The online racing simulator
#1 - Chaos
a thought about cars "flip-happines"
I could not sleep last night and one of the thoughts that came up is, that the reason why some cars in LFS are too much easily flipped on their roof is the too forgiving suspension damage... here's why>
because the suspension damage is too forgiving, the most setups are VERY stiff, because there is no need for too much suspension travel... the only reason real cars have more is to deal with the unevenness of the road, bumps, curbs... In LFS we are not afraid that we get our suspension damaged and to get better times, stiffer suspension is better... So when you drive over a curb with such a stiff suspension, the suspension does not absorb the bump that much, but on the contrary, through the stiff spring carries the bump over to the body of the car, thus the car flips much more easily...

could it be or am I out of my mind here?
I agree, that certainly won't help matters. I'm not totally convinced it's the forgiving damage that causes people to run very stiff setups in the first place, though.

In the FWD GTRs, it's the high-ish centre of mass, not especially wide track widths, and high levels of grip, that get the cars close enough to tipping over to begin with, that makes them more suspectible to being "finished off" by the kerbs.

It's easy enough to test though - try a very soft set and see how much harder it is to roll them over kerbs. Then you'll have your answer.
#3 - G!NhO
on south city are many bumps so you need softer suspension
The suspension can be damaged in this way. Try FE Green, .

But yeah, as G!NhO said, some tracks require softer sets, and others need more stiff setups.
Quote from Bob Smith :
In the FWD GTRs, it's the high-ish centre of mass, not especially wide track widths, and high levels of grip, that get the cars close enough to tipping over to begin with, that makes them more suspectible to being "finished off" by the kerbs.

Spot on. And it's a problem in real life too. Many track day organisers do not allow cars to run on slicks unless they have rollover protection.

I had my Golf well and truly up on two wheels after catching the kerb at St. Marys corner Goodwood. I was running Yoko AO48s which don't offer anywhere near as much grip as proper slicks. If I had super soft slicks on there in their correct temparature range I would probably have gone over.
#6 - Chaos
nice points guys, reconsidering this i would say that "one of the reasons, why the cars flip" are the too stiff suspensions...
When setting up cars for FE Gold I found that if I generated the majority of stiffness with ARBs instead of springs and dampers it lessened the effect of the car flipping up onto two wheels over the kerbs. Not sure why this worked though.
Quote from Chaos :nice points guys, reconsidering this i would say that "one of the reasons, why the cars flip" are the too stiff suspensions...

I also suspect that the road tyres in LFS behave a little too much like slicks which in turn lends itself to stiffer setups, imo road tyres probably should be a little more subject to tyre load sensitivity on the outer side or perhaps a little less on the inner side I find the most natural feeling car/corner combos with the road cars are cars setup for mainly RH corners for example (i.e. positive camber on inside tyre) they just feel right (no pune intended ) I am probably are way off base though :/
I often used to run a little less negative on one side than the others in the road tyred cars. Never tried positive camber though.

I've also been known to adjust the rear camber in a similar way if I am having an issue on just one corner on a circuit

a thought about cars "flip-happines"
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG