The online racing simulator
What To Do With My Spare Laptop?
(14 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
I have my old laptop (2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, Vista Business x32, 120GB HDD) which the screen has broken on sitting on my stairs atm.

What should I do with it?

I was planning to take the screen off, re-intall Windows and then use it as something like a testbed / torrentbox, but I can't actually see a real use for it.

Suggestions, please...
Sell it on eBay as spares? Seems the best idea for it, you may be able to get some money back...
#3 - arco
I would have installed Gentoo on it, and used it for web developing stuff/samba file server/torrent client or something else useful. And then putted it away somewhere and just used SSH to admin it.
Place it nicely on a wall and take your anger out on it every once in a while.
Put it in a safe spot and don't lose it, because one day you'll be kicking yourself in the face if you need it for some reason but threw it out / sold it.
If you have a couple of PC's in the house, use it as a home server. Plug a NAS drive in for more storage and install Microsoft home server to look after it. It has a built in battery so if the power goes off it has it's own UPS and everything is accesssed by remote so you don't need the screen.
Just a thought.
#7 - Migz
Burn it?
#8 - CSU1
SuperGlue it to the pavement outside your window and watch how many people try to pick it up

E:

for this effect: youtube

on a more serious note you could just do your bit for humanity and fold the b'jesus out of it...
Quote from Jakg :I have my old laptop (2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, Vista Business x32, 120GB HDD) which the screen has broken on sitting on my stairs atm.

What should I do with it?

I was planning to take the screen off, re-intall Windows and then use it as something like a testbed / torrentbox, but I can't actually see a real use for it.

Suggestions, please...

give it to me :P
Quote from CSU1 :SuperGlue it to the pavement outside your window and watch how many people try to pick it up

E:

for this effect: youtube

on a more serious note you could just do your bit for humanity and fold the b'jesus out of it...

LOL! Love the idea of supergluing it to the ground xD
Sell It?

Loads of spares and repair laptops on ebay.
eh? its a c2d with vista on it... how old could it possibly be? you sure its not under warranty anymore?
what GFX card has it got
#14 - Jakg
Quote from Shotglass :eh? its a c2d with vista on it... how old could it possibly be? you sure its not under warranty anymore?

1 year warranty, and HP made it very very clear that they didn't want to take it back the first time.

Now it's been taken apart anyway so it's voided that one!

EDIT - Rubbish Intel onboard GMA shit.

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG