Looking for a new screen.
(24 posts, started )
Hi,

Im looking for a new screen. things i want:

-26 inch or bigger
-a resolutien of 1920x1200 or bigger
-around 400-600 euro max

i already found a good screen, but i just wonder if there are other screens that are better/similair.
I would be pleased with help, and things to watch out for etc.
I found this screen: Samsung SyncMaster T260.

-Bose
#2 - Jakg
Why 26"?

I'd say the Samsung T2xx and the 30" monitors will be your only bet for over 26" with a decent resolution.

What about the Dell UltraSharp 24"?
well, i just want something big, i don't know if there's a big difference between 26 and 24. I just want something the same or bigger then i now have(26inch)
#4 - Jakg
For €600 you wont get anything bigger than a 26" with that resolution...
Allright, how much will cost anything good bigger then 26inch? and what screens are good in that case?
#6 - Jakg
Dell 30" = Around £500.

Apple 30" = £1,200.

If you already have a 26" then theres no point upgrading to anything other than those two for hi-res-ness.

Do you have a multi-monitor setup?
No, just 1 26inch. i don't think my other 2 screen will work good with that (19 and 17 inch). so you suggest me to get 26 or smaller?
Go 24", better (smaller) pixel pitch, better panels (generally).

There are a whole range of cheap 24"s now on the market, pick any one you choose really. TN + 24" is not a great idea.

If you can reach to £400, what that is in Euros I can't check as my broadband is shit and xe.com doesn't want to load - get the Dell 2408WFP, but make sure it's a revision A01.

If you can't stretch to that, there's a Hyundai for around £300 with a VA panel, failing that you're stuck with TN.

Jack where do you think you can find a Dell 30" for £500?
#9 - Jakg
Ahh yer there seem to be a couple of shops on Froogle including that and another called 'Jeremy Boucher' I think, that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

You're still looking at ~£900 for a new 3007WFP, and £1K for a new 3008WFP.
Wow, expensive... well, i could save for it are these dell's any good? is it cheaper to buy 2 cheap screens? let's say 2x 24 or 26?
This is good.

This is also good and 'only' £60 more or so.

Really it depends how far away from the screen you sit. The resolution is the same on both, so the only advantage of the bigger screen is physically more space. Problem is if you sit very close to the screen like me, you'll want a smaller pixel pitch which is where the 24" wins.

There isn't a great deal of difference in price between 24" and 26", so no, buying 2x24" won't be cheaper. The reason for them being similar prices is that they are essentially the same panels, just different sizes (VERY crude explanation).
thanks i see. But i meant 2x24" or 30"+. What will look better, cheaper etc.
Ahh yer I see what you mean. Yep 2x24 or 26 will be cheaper than 1 30", and offer more 'desktop space' to work on.

But, a 30" will be better for watching films or playing games, anything that requires 1 big screen rather than 2 smaller ones. Would be very nice for normal desktop use too.

The choice is yours really, when spending that amount of money I make sure what I'm buying is exactly tailored to my needs, so at the moment I've gone for a dual monitor setup which works better for my work where I have lot of windows open at once.
Well, all i do is game, bit of 3d studio, msn etc. I almost never watch movies, but i think movies on a dual screen will still ook good right?
Movies on a single 26" will look good, tbh you only lose 4 inches from the 30". They won't be any clearer on the 30" as you'll be able to display full HD resolution on the 24" anyway.

Don't span movies across screens though, the join down the middle is not cool and you won't be able to put up with it.

Still, I'd go for dual screens, 24" or 26" (or 27" even) if I were you.
Cool, i think i save money for a dual screen then. i think i take 26 or 27, will you even notice it?
bump, what brand is good? and should i go for dual 26 or dual 27?
sorry for another 'bump' but i heard when you use 2 screens, crossfire won't work anymore, and alot of things only display on 1 screen.. is that true?
#20 - Jakg
Some games only work on one screen, but Crossfire works with more than one monitor.
okay, but i think, because of not everything, it would be better to buy a 30". or will 2x 26"/27" just 'look' better because of the bigger size?
#22 - Jakg
If you have the cash for a 30" then do it, but i'd rather have something like a 24" (26 or 27" will have the same res so no real improvement) and then another, perhaps smaller extra monitor (you can get the 20" LG monitor for £100 here now).
but the 30" screens have 2560x1600
btw, about 2 screens at crossfire not working, i heard it only works if you DONT use softh. So what's the point of 2 screens then? and are there alot of games that have dual screen support? just need some info.

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG