The online racing simulator
FF/tyre problems?
(6 posts, started )
#1 - Smp
FF/tyre problems?
Hi,
I've found strange FF-bug when using Formula XR, Formula V8, and FZ50GTR.
Steps to reproduce:
1.Choose one of the above cars and use the game's road_1 setup (though bug occurs on other setups too).
2.Start practice/race
3.Stay motionless on the track (be at 0km/h and don't move)
4.Press brake pedal to the metal and hold it (at 100%)
5.Turn the steering wheel and release it from your arms
6.You'll get an infinite loop of huge oscillations.

My steering wheel moves from left to right and back to left infinitely.
You can see the video here:
lfs_ff.mov
(Quicktime-video, 4.5mb)

My system details:
I have a Microsoft FF Sidewinder wheel, wheel settings: FF strength set to 100%, centering force 0%.
[Added]: Deadzone set to 0.

Additional details:
*Problem occurs when I use
FF strength set to 50% and/or more.. (in LFS).

*Problem occurs on
Formula XR, Formula V8, and FZ50GTR cars.

*Problem doesn't occur on cars with road (non-slick) tyres (I've tested XF GTi and XR GT).

Is this a FF implementation bug or may it be connected to some tyre specific data ?

Best regards,
Smp
i get this as well with my logitec wingman force feedback wheel, luckily I spend very little time in the game stationary with my foot on the brake and my hands off the wheel. <LOL>

I thought it was just an issue with setting a bigger centre dead spot on the steering?
#3 - Smp
Quote from al heeley :i get this as well with my logitec wingman force feedback wheel, luckily I spend very little time in the game stationary with my foot on the brake and my hands off the wheel. <LOL>

I thought it was just an issue with setting a bigger centre dead spot on the steering?

No, I have dead-zone set to 0.
I notice this too- but the problem I think is the FF going full force when you push the brake when stopped. It also goes full force instantly when both front tires lock at slow speed. It makes recovering from a slide impossible sometimes when using strong FF, which I do.

It happens with all cars if you turn up the FF enough.. it just goes way too strong when stopped and hitting brakes.

Maybe when stopped the wheel should be hard to turn for reality sake, but then it should also be the same strength when the brakes are not depressed and standing completely still. Better yet- it shouldn't be like that at all. I am all for reality, but don't lock up my wheel with force feedback when skidding at slow speed ONLY when I press the brake- That is not realistic at all..

If the wheel is hard to turn at a stop- it should be hard to turn if brake is on or not.
Have encountered this with my MS wheel too (lets see if this also happens with my dfb, which should get here within the next view days...)

It could also have something to do with the forces of the wheel lagging.

Imagine it like this: wheel is fully locked and builds up force. You release the wheel, so naturally, it moves towards the center. From this movement, the wheel generates momentum and keeps on turning even after the motor stopped spinning. When it revolves over the neutral position, the electonics has to counteract this rotation. While the mortor switches turning direction, the wheel moves farther to the other side. then, when the counter forces kick in, the whole process begins again, just the other way round.

try turning springs to 0% in both system and game settings, and see, if it is gone (haven't tried yet...). If his still occurs, its most likely a problem of the FF physics.
I think turning on damping by a small amount could fix that problem, but don't make it too strong or it will alter the intended forces too much. MSFF Wheel users don't have that option anyways.

FF/tyre problems?
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG