The online racing simulator
Too many clicks?!
(37 posts, started )
If I recall correctly, the reason we have the 'too many clicks' system is because a DOS by this method was actually carried out with some degree of success a long while back. So there isn't much point in arguing it can't happen.

But I thoroughly agree that some method of allowing admins access to their full servers would be a necessary feature.
I don't know if there is the possibility to do it (the README of the dedicated server doesn't mention it), but the ability to reserve one or more slots only for administration purposes would be nice. If I was the admin of a dedicated server I would enable it even at the cost of an available seat.
I had to implement this when someone wrote a program to check if several people were online. His program imitated the game, and sent several "user online" queries in extremely close succession, each requiring a text reply from the master server. And those bursts were repeated at regular intervals. He and his friends started using this program to see who was online and with just those few people, the master server was already being battered to some extent, giving out large rapid bursts of information every few seconds.

The master server is very important so I don't want it to be abused by "mates checking" sort of programs, or "list of games checkers" either. So I've had to set the time delay down a bit. You are allowed around 8 requests per minute, and that seems enough. It also stops people doing constant list of games refreshes, which can be quite pointless but the sort of thing you can do unconsciously while wating for something, which loads not only the master but also the hosts.

Anyway that's a different subject from allowing one admin to join a full host, which I have now noted as a request.
I have no problem with the too many clicks system except I would like to see the number of laps in a race. If you know a server's name can you not connect straight to it by going Multiplayer > join specific game?
Did you know that you can see the number of laps and the drivers in the server just by clicking on the '?' in the server listings?
#33 - SamH
Quote from Scawen :...allowing one admin to join a full host, which I have now noted as a request.

If this is implemented, it will resolve my problem.
Quote from colcob :Did you know that you can see the number of laps and the drivers in the server just by clicking on the '?' in the server listings?

Which counts as one of the 8 data transfers a minute meaning you can only quickly look at 6 servers (1 click for list + 1 for join).
Hmm, i may have an idea. Once a driver press Join, and the room is full, it puts you onto a waiting list. Then each consecutive person that joins, goes on the list, just further down. Then, when a space is free, the person at the top of the list is then into the game.

Hopefully this makes sense.

What do you think?
#36 - SamH
Quote from Lucasinio :Hmm, i may have an idea. Once a driver press Join, and the room is full, it puts you onto a waiting list. Then each consecutive person that joins, goes on the list, just further down. Then, when a space is free, the person at the top of the list is then into the game.

Hopefully this makes sense.

What do you think?

Quote from SamH :Perhaps, to turn the thing around, if there was a queue system:

"Server full. Reserve seat? Yes/No"

Then, when a seat on the server becomes available, you're automatically given passage. If you've already joined another server, you forfeit the seat. If not, you're in.

Great minds think alike
Quote from Scawen :I had to implement this when someone wrote a program to check if several people were online. His program imitated the game, and sent several "user online" queries in extremely close succession, each requiring a text reply from the master server. And those bursts were repeated at regular intervals. He and his friends started using this program to see who was online and with just those few people, the master server was already being battered to some extent, giving out large rapid bursts of information every few seconds.

The master server is very important so I don't want it to be abused by "mates checking" sort of programs, or "list of games checkers" either. So I've had to set the time delay down a bit. You are allowed around 8 requests per minute, and that seems enough. It also stops people doing constant list of games refreshes, which can be quite pointless but the sort of thing you can do unconsciously while wating for something, which loads not only the master but also the hosts.

Anyway that's a different subject from allowing one admin to join a full host, which I have now noted as a request.

Therein lies the difference between LFS and GTL/GTR

Too many clicks?!
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG