The online racing simulator
Destruction Derby Insim Program Request
Hey!

Well, you all thinking, what the hell does The Very End does in this part of forum, and not off topic section?
Well, the reason suits me well, since I am a typical freeloather.. Nerverthless irony beside, I am having one question, or several actually.

Lately me and some buddys have started to race some, or doing Destruction Derby for the fun of it. More can be read about this in the topic : http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=46778, witch also include a great looking skin pack in memorial of the Destruction Derby game(es).

Now, since I have no knowlege to insim, I should have taken the time to learn it. But as I'm can't any kind of coding what so ever, or any computer languages, this seems like an impossible task.

So, here's the deal, why I am making this topic, and why I am trying to write so much nice stuff to remove the fact that I got to ask someone to do a dirty job for me..

Well, we kind of need a destruction derby insim program. Basically this is a point system that is based on contact and crashing, not times etc. I will go more in deept about this below, so you will have the details.

The first thing is arenas. Or, places like skid pad etc where you put up a bunch of cars and drive them til they canot move anymore, and then the man with highest score wins. Points are given out from 1 - crashing, 2 - surviving, 3 - spin other cars around, 4 - roll other cars out, and lastly 5 - if you managed to for example send a car into oblivion also known as spec mode.

The point's scored is only for the 3 last players. 3th last surviver (that ain't on roof, spec or canot move) get's 20 points, 2th 40 and winnder get 100.

Now over to the contact scores. Each time you hit a car, you get 1 point. There will be high numbers so it most likely maybe will need xxxx numbers if there are longer matches. If you manage to hit a car, so it spins around 180 degree, then you get 10 points. If you manage to get a car spinning 360 degree's or more, you get 25 points. If you manage to get a car on the roof, you get 40 points, and ultimately, if you manage to hit a car so hard it flies off track and into spec mode - 100 points.
These are not values true to the orginal numbers from DD games, but more like the numbers I feel is the right for it.
I don't know how detailed you can program the insim programs, but I hope the things above are manageable. A other thing is how the program shal "understand" who to give the points. Basically it needs to take the one that has most speed, or the hardest impact. This will reward the agressive drivers, and the one that thinks they can turtle to the end just fails

That point system are used on all tracks, meaning that if we drive a circut, only the 3 top drivers will be rewarded, the rest will have to get points from contact with other cars.

When the race is over, we need a score table, that pops up with the drivers name and their scores, the best one on top. It's aimed for 20 players, but we need to be prepared for 32 car support if this should seem interesting for more racers. At this time we don't need some storage of old scores from earlier race, that we can do manually, so it just need to sum up the scores and players after each race, and then reset itself.

Now, let's try to go in dept about the other rules.
There would be nice if there is a way to prevent people to go to pit, and spectate by their own will. If they flip on lap 1 of a race with 5 laps, to bad, but they will need to be there as a, well how should I describe it, DD feel over it all. I mean, how cool isn't it to race a 10 lap race when there are 4 cars fighting for the scores and 16 / 28 cars lying around on track like wrecks. Clearly just for look. Also nice if it prevents people from joining after race, if they do they are just sent back to spectate mode.

Again, sorry that I ask about this, but I really hope someone could be kind and help some people out with this work. The interest for it seems to be growing, we got a server that can be used, but we do not have any insim programs or point system, based on crashing etc.

Best regards T.V.E

Edit : For more info around DD, take a look on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_Derby
Imagine how much fun this will be, if it ever gets accomplished... There's already some insim systems out there, like the ctra-x system which is great, another system that measures drifting angles, distances etc, and gives points for it. I don't see how a Destruction Derby style insim application, wouldn't be possible! I really just hope that someone is willing to do this!
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Hmmm... Well, so try again?
I mean, DD is buggy neverthless, some buggy'nes is not that bad

And sorry for not asking you
Kinda reminds me of flatout.
But great idea.
Wish i could code that.
Gluck TVE, obviously you know I like the server, this would be a good thing
#6 - G!NhO
great, this will be the best server eva
The problem however, is as speedway tells, is to get a solid and rehable system, as it seems to be bound to some problems.
Tho, I still hoping
I was on the server the other day, although chaotic, it was very addictive. Would be nice if some friendly coder could help out, although i dont have any idea how much of a workload this insim malarkey is.
It could be made quite easily, but the issue would arrive when someone joins the server with a higher latency... as the algorithms would be less exact.
Are there no way to somehow get it latency safe? Meaning that results and such are not affected by lag, well it shows up later, but numbers etc are not lost?

And about that system, it don't need to be very much right, if it works 50/50 that's hell of a more better than having nothing
Maybe introduce a ping limit, of say... 100ms?
There isn't much issues with ping as long as it's under 200. Problem are those with xxxx or 500+ etc :/
Well, I'm still hoping
If anyone would know how to detect who hits who + some kind of impact points, then it would be possible.. Tho I'm not good enough @ math to calculate it else I would have given it a try...
and please those with like 500mm instant kick, really annoying when you have to wait 20 seconds to pit.......

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG