The online racing simulator
which phone?
(27 posts, started )
which phone?
Hello,
well with all of these new fancy phones come out, and my upgrade just around the corner in one month, i am wondering which phone to get.

I would just like one which has a nice touch screen at around 3"-4" in size
3G
over 5Mp camera
good games
decent web browser
nice design
user-friendly

I've been looking at those new 8mp various samsung and LG phones, and also the samsung omnia, and im really stuck between which one to get, as i have to then keep it for 18months until my new contact starts.

So please help me choose a nice phone which i don't later regret, and may you leave you feedback if you have one of these new fancy phones.

Thanks
Harjun
Also have a look into the HTC Diamond. Camera only 3mp though.
iHype
and why in earth do you want such high mp in a PHONE? U buy a (digital, dslr) for that, but if daddy pays why not ask both!
#4 - Jakg
5MP?!

Phone Cameras suck - end of. Anything over 2MP doesn't make the image any better - just bigger.

Are you on contract, or PAYG? I would recommend the iPhone if you want a big screen, even if the camera isn't amazing.
iPhone. If you want a camera get a camera.
Quote from devils_advocate :Also have a look into the HTC Diamond. Camera only 3mp though.

hmm, i've heard some bad things about that phone, so i'm not sure
are you sure about the iphone?
I am tempted towards that aswell, and i've used one which is great,
i agree with you about the camera bit i guess
#7 - Jakg
What sort of "bad things"?

How "smart" do you want your phone to be? Things like the Sony w960i and the Windows Mobile phones are really slow and aren't as "phonelike" as I would want.
#8 - Migz
Tbh its a bit pointless getting a high mega pixel camera. There always useless, always too grainy. Their only useful for taking a spur of the momment picture when you dont have your digital camera.

I would say the iphone, very good browser, very good games, is indeed 3G, nice design, but its not at all user friendly. Writing things with the onscreen keyboard can be annoying, its not perticulerly bad, but its just easier to use buttons.

Therefore i reccomend my phone, its getting a bit old now (perhaps theres a newer version of it)
The Sony Ericson K850i it has a 5MP Camera, 3G, its a nice design altho a bit too think but im used to it, and the browser is alright but if you just download opera then its great Plays lots of games too It even comes with a link in the phone to get some fun decent games for free

If you dont like that phone then something else by Sony Ericson.
Sony Ericson are the best brand
As Jakg says, big MP on cameraphones is just a waste, i have a 5MP one and i have it turned down to 2MP to save space. If you could find a 5+MP with a proper lense on however....

EDIT Migz: I have to K850i too, but i cant wait to get rid of it, it's just to darn un-responsive. Any decent amount of data on-board and the thing moves like a 386 trying to boot Crysis...
#10 - Jakg
Sony Ericsson's most high end phone (ignoring the X1) is the w960i - touch screen, but a bit slow. Camera's nothing special, and has a smaller screen than I think you want.

And yes, Opera Mobile pwns. It doesn't support tabs or multiple windows though which is the suck...

SE fanboy here btw

EDIT - Anything over 2MP is useless because they all look grainy and horrible raw, but when you resize them to VGA or 800*600 this usually sorts things out a bit (admittedly just by blurring the grainyness!)
i'm thinkng maybe the iphone is my best bet if some of you say
Although everyone i ask says omnia is way better than the iphone.
I'm not sure i'll just wait and see if anyone can drop in some feedback
Can i have your current phone?

I only have a crappy sagem
Have a look at the Samsung Omina. A bit like the iphone without the basic interface and being good for music. It has a 5mp camera, windows mobile 6.1 and more features. It is a good phone, my dad has had it for a while and hasn't had any technical faults with it, had to get a new battery as the one he got with the phone didn't hold charge well.
The K850i is also a good phone, I get on well with mine. Although they do have their faults, my uncle had to get a new one 3 times because each one kept on turning off. I have had mine for about 8 months now and haven't had a problem with it.

The Omina is a good phone but it's whether you can afford the contract each month, think on Vodafone it is £40 a month, cant remember if that is for a 12 or 18 month contract though.
iPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#15 - Migz
Quote from GFresh :
EDIT Migz: I have to K850i too, but i cant wait to get rid of it, it's just to darn un-responsive. Any decent amount of data on-board and the thing moves like a 386 trying to boot Crysis...

It was at first very unresponsive, but if your firmware is updated to the latest it goes lightning quick! XD or perhaps it wasnt that. But mine isnt that slow anymore, quite quick.

Quote from Jakg :
SE fanboy here btw

I WANT YOU

Quote from harjun :i'm thinkng maybe the iphone is my best bet if some of you say

The iphone is pretty good tbh. Im saving up for one, even though ive recently got a ipod touch, and even though i love my current phone anyways. But its just the fact that with the iphone id be able to have GPS and with 3G i could control my computer from wherever in the world XD indeed the iphone is a good phone. But it can be a tad expensive. And its one huge ****ing thing to hold up to your ear.
Sony Ericsson G900(i) would be my recommendation. I've had one for a month now, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Looks great.
Has a touch screen, which is not huge because of the existence of a keypad, but also has 3G/Wifi/5MP cam and the Symbian UIQ 3 which I'm really fond of. And it wasn't expensive as well. ca 290 £ if i calculated right.
Just a suggestion.
Quote from Luke.S :Can i have your current phone?

I only have a crappy sagem

Better me, i have Philips without even gprs or games.

To topicstarter: Get some nice SE.
Quote from Migz :It was at first very unresponsive, but if your firmware is updated to the latest it goes lightning quick! XD or perhaps it wasnt that. But mine isnt that slow anymore, quite quick.

I flashed to the latest version as of 2 months ago, didn't make any difference for me...
Quote from harjun :i'm thinkng maybe the iphone is my best bet if some of you say

Get the Omina, I think it is better then the Iphone, not as good as it for music though. Nip into a phone shop and have a look at the Omina, it's a very good phone.
#20 - Jakg
Ah the G-series - forgot about them. Hope UIQ is more responsive on that than on my w960i!

About phones being slow - try debranding it. I installed a tweak to trick Sony Ericsson Update Service (SEUS) into thinking my phone was Generic European (rather than letting it think i had an O2 branded one), I ran it and it downloaded the latest firmware and it made things a LOT faster.
Quote from sam93 :Get the Omina, I think it is better then the Iphone, not as good as it for music though. Nip into a phone shop and have a look at the Omina, it's a very good phone.

ok, i think i will go for that,
i pay £30 a month for the contract, and my upgrades in december near christmas, and for the phone i have to pay £170, and hopefully i will be able to get it as a christmas present
Thats what i did when i flashed mine, de-branded from a Vodafone
#23 - Migz
Quote from Jakg :About phones being slow - try debranding it. I installed a tweak to trick Sony Ericsson Update Service (SEUS) into thinking my phone was Generic European (rather than letting it think i had an O2 branded one), I ran it and it downloaded the latest firmware and it made things a LOT faster.

Why does debranding things make them any faster?
And perhaps this is what is making his phone slower, as mine isnt branded :/
Quote from harjun :ok, i think i will go for that,
i pay £30 a month for the contract, and my upgrades in december near christmas, and for the phone i have to pay £170, and hopefully i will be able to get it as a christmas present

Good choice. You shouldn't have no problems with it but I do recommend that you get a case for it though so you dont scratch the screen. My dad works on a building site so there is loads of dust and the phone gets covered in it and it works fine, not one problem with it.
Quote from Migz :Why does debranding things make them any faster?
And perhaps this is what is making his phone slower, as mine isnt branded :/

Because the branded firmware is usualy an earlier version, that in some cases is not only buggy and slow, but crippled in some way (eg wifi being disabled, not being able to pick an orinary .mp3 file as a ringtone etc.)

which phone?
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG