The online racing simulator
US trucks and EU trucks... :)
(111 posts, started )
56? That seems a bit specific, unless that's for on the continent and has been converted from a round number in kph.

In the UK as far as I know, for anything over 7.5 tons it's supposedly 40mph on a single-carriageway road (although no-one seems to adhere to or inforce that) and 60mph on a dual-carriageway road.

What are the '80','90','100' badges you get on the back of european trucks? I've often seen them and wondered what they are - I'm guessing it has something to do with being licenced to travel at a certain speed.
Well can't remember personally what the speed limits for trucks are here, but most of them have limiters.

My dad often gets pissed off at how some people overtake on a single-carriageway and then brake straight away imagining that 30 ton (with load) lorry will have the same braking distance as the car lol
Quote from S k i p p y :
Just curious, what's a skip truck?

As Electric Eye posted, a short wheel base rigid truck designed to carry builders skips around town. It was never really designed to do more than 30 mph, with very short gearing and a smooth but gutless naturally aspirated straight 6 it was a pretty bad choice for the previous owner to convert to a race car transporter.

Quote from BlueFlame :maybe even a badly secured load that you get the blame for, when in reality, you just trusted somebody elses judgement and it was a mistake to do so.

By law the driver is responsible for his load, if he doesn't at least visually check that his load his safe then he should be shot.
Quote from Electric Eye :
My dad often gets pissed off at how some people overtake on a single-carriageway and then brake straight away imagining that 30 ton (with load) lorry will have the same braking distance as the car lol

I've never quite got why people do this at all - overtaking, then slowing down so you are *slower* than the vehicle you've just overtaken.
Quote from Electric Eye :Also I'm kinda of confused about the truck speed limits. Everyone keeps on talkin about doing 70-80 mph, but ain't that only for passenger cars? Wiki seems to think that trucks have speed limit of 55mph as far as I can understand.

The only 55mph that I know of in the US is in the state of California. Most of the rest of the southwest is 75mph on the interstate. For trucks and cars. Obviously there are places even on the interstate when you get near towns that the speed drops down but for the most part it's 75mph.

Quote from Electric Eye :Uh little fact, (remember someone discussing about how many accidents are cause by retarded drivers.) "Two thirds (67%) of truck/passenger car crashes are the fault of the passenger vehicle."

Thanks, last I heard it was 70%, seems the cars are 3% less at fault than they used to be. Still doesn't change the fact that statistics say that people driving cars are more dangerous than semis.
Well the most fun part is being stuck behind a sports car which ain't even reaching the road speed limit!
Quote from Crashgate3 :
In the UK as far as I know, for anything over 7.5 tons it's supposedly 40mph on a single-carriageway road (although no-one seems to adhere to or inforce that) and 60mph on a dual-carriageway road.

Lorries with limiters are limited to 56 mph (90 km/h). I believe anything over 7.5 tons which doesn't have a limiter has a 60 mph limit on dual carriageways and motorways, rather frighteningly this includes full sized artics that are used for non-commercial transport.
Ok au revoir, goin' to school. Only had 4 hours of leep .. dear dear... stupid homework.
Quote from Electric Eye :Well the most fun part is being stuck behind a sports car which ain't even reaching the road speed limit!

Yep and inevitably they are always left lane campers and won't move over. Heh, what are you gonna do?
Quote from Electric Eye :Well can't remember personally what the speed limits for trucks are here, but most of them have limiters.

Yea, road users can be real ****ing ignorant. People who undertake trucks are the interesting individuals, happened right infront of my eyes coming out of Stoke, and a '91 Civic decided to cut through all the traffic, there was even a cyclist in the midst of the Truck and Car, god knows how he survived......

Quote from ajp71 :As Electric Eye posted, a short wheel base rigid truck designed to carry builders skips around town. It was never really designed to do more than 30 mph, with very short gearing and a smooth but gutless naturally aspirated straight 6 it was a pretty bad choice for the previous owner to convert to a race car transporter.
By law the driver is responsible for his load, if he doesn't at least visually check that his load his safe then he should be shot.

My dad did various checks but his load was fibreglass so they were flying around on the M6, he had to strap the whole load himself by the road side and whilst I was in the cab, watching my mother recover the fibreglass and destroying her hands on it lol my dad fell down from the trailer and his back hasn't recovered since. At the end of the day it's the drivers responsibility, but what I'm saying is that the driver can't do it all on his own, you need at least two people to keep a ratchet strap taught to be able to wind it up. It's judgement. Think of it like this. I am washing dishes for you, you are my employer, I wash some, but hide the others somewhere else, your supervisor finds them, and then sacks YOU for it. Overall it's your responsibility, but would you have ever known that I'd hidden some of the dishes? No, sadly, if trucks are involved it involves peoples lives. Truck drivers deserve a hell of a lot more respect than they get. They go through nightmares on the road, seeing big accidents, being involved in them, where a car gets crushed and the truck driver is not to blame, but still he has nightmares and the deaths of people haunt him for the rest of his life. Truck drivers really do not get enough respect. Their ettiquette on the road is generally THE best. They have a great judgement of what's going to happen before it does. They can tell a type of driver by what they do and react before it happens. Sometimes obviously there are complete idiots who just seem to ignore that there are even other cars on the road, like this idiots who sit in the middle lane and stab their brakes instead of lifting off the throttle to reduce their speed back to the speed limit.... I really hate the UK for these type of drivers. I despise them. I wish they all died. Get to the left lane for **** sake.
Quote from BlueFlame :Their ettiquette on the road is generally THE best.

I'd like to think that because truckers drive 150,000 miles a year that makes them better drivers. But the truth is that there are a lot of bad ones too. It only takes a few hundred bad ones to make the few million look bad. That's just the way it is with everything. Unfortunately when a truck driver does screw up its usually far more devastating. A guy can fall asleep and run his minivan off the road and nobody cares. A truck driver does it and everybody becomes a critic.
Quote from BlueFlame :Sometimes obviously there are complete idiots who just seem to ignore that there are even other cars on the road, like this idiots who sit in the middle lane and stab their brakes instead of lifting off the throttle to reduce their speed back to the speed limit.... I really hate the UK for these type of drivers. I despise them. I wish they all died. Get to the left lane for **** sake.

This isn't unique to anywhere. There's terrible drivers everywhere. I've never driven in the UK so I can't compare, but if they are anything like they are here then I feel for you, I really do.
Quote from S k i p p y :I'd like to think that because truckers drive 150,000 miles a year that makes them better drivers. But the truth is that there are a lot of bad ones too. It only takes a few hundred bad ones to make the few million look bad. That's just the way it is with everything. Unfortunately when a truck driver does screw up its usually far more devastating. A guy can fall asleep and run his minivan off the road and nobody cares. A truck driver does it and everybody becomes a critic.

This isn't unique to anywhere. There's terrible drivers everywhere. I've never driven in the UK so I can't compare, but if they are anything like they are here then I feel for you, I really do.

I just don't understand why some road users apply brakes when they are either 100m behind another car, or they do it to stay at the speedlimit... And people who overtake when they don't need to.. People who stay in the wrong lane, always pull to the outside if you're not overtaking, it's not hard to understand, at least not to me..
Quote from ajp71 :Lorries with limiters are limited to 56 mph (90 km/h).

Ah, so it's a physical thing built into the lorry? That would explain the odd number of 56.
Quote from S k i p p y :Most of our interstates speeds are 75mph and they don't bother you unless you are over 85mph.

That sounds insane. As said, all trucks are limited to 56 mph over here. I guess your roads are wider, but still sounds insane.
Quote from Blackout :That sounds insane. As said, all trucks are limited to 56 mph over here. I guess your roads are wider, but still sounds insane.

The laws vary from 65 to 70 mph I think, so that's 105 to 112 km/h. It's more, but it's not that much more tbh. Of course being expected to drive that much over the speed limit is a different matter.
Quote from S k i p p y :Thanks, last I heard it was 70%, seems the cars are 3% less at fault than they used to be. Still doesn't change the fact that statistics say that people driving cars are more dangerous than semis.

Well someone rounded the 67% to 70% I believe. And considering that most trucks stay on the road all day long, while car drivers only couple hours and the number is still 70% that's quite decent!

Quote from S k i p p y :Yep and inevitably they are always left lane campers and won't move over. Heh, what are you gonna do?

Well, you overtake em with the beeping lorry! Hah... all you need is a long stretch of straight road and no traffic coming towards you! (very unlikely here, but possible .

Going to read the rest of posts later tonight I think. Au revoir guys.
Quote from Electric Eye :
Well, you overtake em with the beeping lorry! Hah... all you need is a long stretch of straight road and no traffic coming towards you! (very unlikely here, but possible .

An annoying lorry thing: When you get lorry drivers overtaking each other on a dual-carriageway, one doing 0.1mph faster than the other so they take 10 minutes to pass each other.
Haha.. went on trip to england this summer, travelled around 2000km in total I think.

Yeah they do that! It's not annoying personally, quite funny to watch. Why shouldn't you use up allll your speed!?? lol
Quote from Crashgate3 :An annoying lorry thing: When you get lorry drivers overtaking each other on a dual-carriageway, one doing 0.1mph faster than the other so they take 10 minutes to pass each other.

Normally that's down to one running empty or one drafting another. Normally the driver on the left would slow down a little to let the overtaking truck in
Quote from BlueFlame :Normally that's down to one running empty or one drafting another. Normally the driver on the left would slow down a little to let the overtaking truck in

I don't think I have ever seen a truck driver either lifting off to let another past and most seem hell bent on getting where they're going 5 minutes faster rather than sitting in the slipstream of a slightly slower lorry, which would save haulage companies a huge amount of money.
I was so lucky that I could sit in a few years old Scania few months ago. That machine was freaking fast!! (without trailer of course) And the sound of the turbo is teh seks. It was a top class, very comfortable one, with it's own TV and a little fridge it it.

At first sight I said, ok ok, it's nice, but heavy as hell, so it can't be so fast... Hell not!
Quote from Electric Eye :Well someone rounded the 67% to 70% I believe. And considering that most trucks stay on the road all day long, while car drivers only couple hours and the number is still 70% that's quite decent!

But how many cars are there on the road compared to trucks?
Quote from Mikkel Petersen :But how many cars are there on the road compared to trucks?

He was talking about Truck - Car accidents, not general Traffic accidents iirc
Quote from BlueFlame :He was talking about Truck - Car accidents, not general Traffic accidents iirc

Another good point since I even forgot what I was talking about!

US trucks and EU trucks... :)
(111 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG