The online racing simulator
What does QFT mean Sam? Water will be drunk in large quantaties very very shortly, maybe just before I'm sick
Quoted For Truth. ;]

I feel enlightened after reading some of this stuff.
Although homosexuality is tolerated, isn't it really a case of the brain being wired a bit wrong (or at least differently)? Almost all of the reasons used to explain why some people are homosexual also apply to pedaphiles (they were born that way). Pedaphile behavior isn't accepeted because most societies have passed moral laws based on the concept of age of consent. Homosexual behavior is now tolerated, but it doesn't need to be promoted as a normal alternative.

Even though I'm a 56 year old heterrosexual male, I'm still find 25 year old good looking girls visually attractive. Apparently I was just born that way and can't help myself, but I don't plan on trading in my wife for a new trophy wife.
I swear, if you had likened me to a paedofille to my face i'd be facing assault charges right now.

A child does not consent to a paedofile, an adult who consets to a homosexual relationship is a different thing entirely. There is a vast difference, and to liken me to a monster like that based upon the gender of my partner is offensive and demonstrates only the viewpoint of a close minded biggot is as fixed as it is wrong.
Quote from JeffR :Although homosexuality is tolerated, isn't it really a case of the brain being wired a bit wrong (or at least differently)? Almost all of the reasons used to explain why some people are homosexual also apply to pedaphiles (they were born that way). Pedaphile behavior isn't accepeted because most societies have passed moral laws based on the concept of age of consent. Homosexual behavior is now tolerated, but it doesn't need to be promoted as a normal alternative.

Even though I'm a 56 year old heterrosexual male, I'm still find 25 year old good looking girls visually attractive. Apparently I was just born that way and can't help myself, but I don't plan on trading in my wife for a new trophy wife.

hm so you think homosexuality is an illness? and at best, should be corrected, i.e. put right? (as you describe it as something "wrong" with the brain)

homosexuality is not an illness. it was removed from the list of mental disorders as early as 1973. American medical organization have also stated that therapy cannot change sexual orientation. all in all it is not something wrong with the brain, it's different but say it is "wrong" is just discriminative.

The difference with pedophiles is at first, it is classified as a psychological disorder, and you only consider someone as a pedophile when the urge cause distress or interpersonal difficulty and abusive behaviors - that's why it is a problem, and why it can not be tolarated.

Homosexuality does not garuntee problems, homosexual couples can develop healthy and fulfilling relationships and if not for the homophobic behavior of some people, can quite easily enjoy a pleasent life. homosexuals does not have a signicifant urge to sexually assault or abuse people, or any other sex crimes. Comparing homosexuals to pedophiles is just way off.

It is a normal alternative, but it's not an alternative choice, most people can't change their sexuality, some study says it's innant, some say it's a result of your life experience, but it's not a choice, love it or hate it, it happens to people and since it does no harm, it should be accepted and understood.

I don't get what's your point with the trophy wife.....you can choose whether to stay loyal or have an affair, it's your choice and not a hard one, it's something you can control if you bear the intelligence of an average person, and even if you choose to have a trophy wife....there's nothing wrong if you 1.move to some place where you can marry more than one wife 2.keep them both happy and fulfilled.

So I don't really get what's the point of that example, my grand father has two wife and there's nothing wrong with it.

I hate to generalize but seems every of these homophobic post has an american flag next to it.
Quote from JJ72 :

I hate to generalize but seems every of these homophobic post has an american flag next to it.

Yea, it is sad, but true. That, unfortunately, is a negative product of our "christian" society. But please don't think that all Americans are right-wing, gay bashing bible thumpers. Some of us look at gays as what they are, people.
I think posting on forums is a mental illness.
Quote from JeffR :Although homosexuality is tolerated, isn't it really a case of the brain being wired a bit wrong (or at least differently)? Almost all of the reasons used to explain why some people are homosexual also apply to pedaphiles (they were born that way). Pedaphile behavior isn't accepeted because most societies have passed moral laws based on the concept of age of consent.

The operative word being "consent". If two persons have sex but one of them is incapable to decide for him/herself, then it should be forbidden. That not only holds for sex with minors, but also for people who are mentally handicapped, or drugged. But if two mature men decide to have sex because they enjoy it, then what would you have against it?
Quote :Homosexual behavior is now tolerated, but it doesn't need to be promoted as a normal alternative.

That's a non sequitur if I ever saw one.
Quote from wsinda :
That's a non sequitur if I ever saw one.

How is P•~Q non sequitur?

P | Q |~Q |(P•~Q)
T | T | F | F
T | F | T | T
F | T | F | F
F | F | T | F

P = Homosexual behavior is now tolerated
Q = It needs to be promoted as a normal alternative

It's not even an argument. He didn't say anything "follows," as you suppose.
Quote from JJ72 :So you think homosexuality is an illness? ... difference with pedophiles

Scientist claim they can find differences in the brains of gays. Scientists also claim they can find differences in the brains of pedophiles. Similar causes, significantly different behaviors. One is tolerated, the other isn't.

Quote :Homosexuality is not an illness. it was removed from the list of mental disorders as early as 1973. ... to say it is "wrong" is just discriminative.

There are lots of abnormal behaviors (like obsessiveness) that have little impact on functionality, so these are no longer described as illnesses. Assuming the reason for sexual attraction is nature's (evolution or creationism, take your pick) means of create a drive to pro-create, then homosexuality seems like a "flaw" in the biological programming of the brain. Being a programmer / engineer, I'm a bit obsessive, and I consider it a "flaw" in my brains biological programming. Another "flaw" I have is a lack of sensitivity, but I was born that way, so just deal with me.

Quote :It is a normal alternative, ... and since it does no harm

I considered it an abnormal alternative. As far as "harm" goes, the high number of sexual partners per year of gays, in some USA communities, turned any sexually transmitted disease, such as aids, into an epidemic. Blood research companies were aware of this fact and targeted gay communities for blood donations for research on these sexual diseases, and not screening for the then unknown aids virus, made the situation even worse. The gay (mostly males) community in the USA still has a repupation for riskier sexual practices than "normal" society, so there is "harm" being done. Perhaps promiscuous gays should be classified differently than the ones that aren't.

Quote :it should be accepted and understood. ... consent

Accepted but not promoted. Societies have moral based laws, such as the age of consent, which varies from 14 to 18 depending on when and where in the USA. In the USA at the federal level, marriage is one man, one woman. Utah had to make polygamy illegal in order to join the USA as a state, although it's still tolerated, in spite of the fact that it often involves young teenage girls.

Quote :I don't get what's your point with the trophy wife

A sexual preference that many suppress in order to maintain a stable marriage and family life.
Aha QFT = Quoted for Truth, sorry totally off topic, I'm in a wee world of my own and thankfully am not involved in this discussion

Edit: What the heck, JeffR, what would you do if you had a child that turned out to be a homosexual?
Quote :I considered it an abnormal alternative. As far as "harm" goes, the high number of sexual partners per year of gays, in some USA communities, turned any sexually transmitted disease, such as aids, into an epidemic. Blood research companies were aware of this fact and targeted gay communities for blood donations for research on these sexual diseases, and not screening for the then unknown aids virus, made the situation even worse. The gay (mostly males) community in the USA still has a repupation for riskier sexual practices than "normal" society, so there is "harm" being done. Perhaps promiscuous gays should be classified differently than the ones that aren't.

I rather suspect that this is a perception which may not have it's source entirely in reality, or perhaps is sourced in a particular sub-culture/scene. Certainly my experience is not in line with your thinking.

I find it offensive that you consider me to be doing harm just because I fall into a certain 'category' because of the sex of my partner. Personally I'm about as far from promiscuous as you'll ever get.

Is it not possible that you are suggesting "gays behave this way" when really we are individuals? For instance I had some abuse from an LFSr in a sim racing chat room a month or two ago questioning whether I had AIDS (amongst some nasty stuff), it was obviously lost on the biggot that lesbians are at almost zero risk from AIDS. Sometimes the reality is a long way from the "truth".
Quote from AlienT. :What the heck, JeffR, what would you do if you had a child that turned out to be a homosexual?

I'd deal with it, just as with any abnormality. There are far wose things that a kid could end up being, so it's a case of perspective.

What would you do if your kid was a promiscuous gay having unprotected sex with numerous partners? Where do you draw the line?

For those of you that don't realize the extremes, back in the 1970's, a guy at a local stereo and music store worked nights as a DJ at a west hollywood disco. Many of the male patrons, would meet at the disco, go across the street to a "bath house" to have sex, then return and repeat the cycle several times a night with different partners. Although not as bad as the 1970's, the current "defined" range for promiscuous is 20 to 100+ partners per year.

Getting back on topic, for gays there are "domestic partner" laws now in some states, but society (USA government) doesn't have any obligation to promote alternate lifestyles such as same sex marriage, or polygamy.
You know back in the 60's / 70's there where straight people doing much the same too, there was this whole concept of 'free love' and stuff. What you describe is a localised scene.

And since when have homosexuals been asking for promotion? I'm quite capable of offering 50% extra free by myself thanks ;p.

I don't ask for anything, but I do expect equality, and by expect I meen i'll carry on my merry way and if I dont get something I want then I do what I always do when I dont get something I want. I nag.
Quote from JeffR :I considered it an abnormal alternative. As far as "harm" goes, the high number of sexual partners per year of gays, in some USA communities, turned any sexually transmitted disease, such as aids, into an epidemic.

Quote from Becky Rose :I rather suspect that this is a perception which may not have it's source entirely in reality, or perhaps is sourced in a particular sub-culture/scene. Certainly my experience is not in line with your thinking.

As sexist as it may sound, it's because males in general are more promiscuous than females, so promiscuity is bound to be an issue in a gay male community. As far as the reality of the situation, blood researchers wouldn't target gay communties for sexually transmitted disease research if they weren't getting the results (a high rate of STD's) that they were looking for.

Quote :I find it offensive that you consider me to be doing harm just because I fall into a certain 'category' because of the sex of my partner.

I never stated that you or any gay couple were causing harm. It was an example of the indirect harm caused by behavior of a "sub-culture" as you worded it, but note that this same "sub-culture" also has a valid claim to state that they were born that way. It's hard to ignore the fact that aids in the USA was greatly affected by this sub-culture.

Quote :Is it not possible that you are suggesting "gays behave this way" when really we are individuals?

These communities still exist, but much smaller now. Sexually transmitted diseases in gay male communities is still a much bigger issue than mainstream communties. People are individuals. I live near Laguna Beach, which has a significant gay community that is mostly monogamous. West Hollywood still has a bad reputation for promiscuity.

I have issues with homosexuality, but as long as it's doing no harm, then I'm not out to "cure" it. I also think polygamy is wrong. Even less tolerant, I also think it's wrong to trade in the old wife for a trophy wife or have affairs, just because most males are sexually attracted to nice looking younger women than their older wives. However, just because I think it's wrong, doesn't mean I'm out to punish those (with the exception that knowingly spreading a sexually transmitted disease is a crime in most states).

The point about the extreme case of pedaphiles is the concept, that it can't be helped because the person was born that way. "Born that way" is a philosophy could be used to justify any behavior, harmful or not. "Born that way" is the aspect that I most have issue with, regarding any behavior.

Most of the USA is not ready for same sex marriage. It's is a morality call, but so is the age of consent, which varies from state to state in the USA. Most considered it wrong for Jerry Lee Lewis to marry his 13 year old cousin, but it was legal in that state at the time. Polygamy still involves a lot of young teenage girls, but even polygamist with all legally consenting (depends on the state), don't get to legally call their relationships marriage.

Since marriage in the USA is classically defined as one man, one woman, then invent a new generic term for other relationships.
Quote : I have issues with homosexuality

I have issue with Americans. You're all neo Conservative bible bashing christians with a narrow minded world view where the direct value of a persons contribution to life is measured by the quantity of credit cards they have to hunt through when visiting a drive through ATM on the way to get their supersized McNugget Cheeseburger. You're all warmongers, living in fear of an invisible man in the sky whilst destroying the Earth with your nefarious pollution in an effort to build ever bigger weapons for shooting at anyone with a towel on their head. Without exception all Americans are evil, and we should embark on a program of sterilisation.

Further, i've never met a nice man called Jeff. They can't help it, they where born that way. Something in a persons brain pattern changes when they are called Jeff, it's scientifically proven and to do with the resonance of overhearing the 'J' syllable.
Wheres JTbo when you need him...
Oh dear, oh my goodnes Becky. I fear you have just started world war 3 and poor old Jeff has been 'ripped a new arsehole' so to speak. Maybe after dinner speaking could be your forte after all, just perhaps not in the USA
Quote from Becky Rose : You're all neo Conservative bible bashing christians with a narrow minded world view

It's an abnormality, but they say it can be cured by forced reading of Richard Dawkins books while enjoying a reefer.
Quote from Becky Rose :I have issue with Americans. You're all neo conservative bible bashing Christians ... shooting at anyone with a towel on their head.

So gays would be better off living in Muslim countries like Iran?

Quote :I've never met a nice man called Jeff. They can't help it, they where born that way.

At least you understand. I wasn't just born in the USA, I was born in Texas which is worse, plus my parents named me Jeff, apparently parents who name their kids Jeff inflict some sort of genetic disease on their kids.

Regarding homosexuality or any behavior, how does one determine what is normal and what is abnormal? Outside of Europe, how does most of the world perceive homosexuality?

The USA also doesn't approve of polygamy, and the vocal activists for polygamy often find themselves in trouble with the law. Regarding homosexuality, it's tolerated and/or accepted in most of the non-rural USA, and many states have domestic partner laws giving similar right to gay couples as they do to married couples.

Anyway, getting back on topic. A previous proposition was overturned by 4 judges in a split desicion on gay marriage, a very "liberal" interperation of the constitution, clearly not what the writers had in mind when they wrote it. So now we have prop 8, an ammendment that restricts the term marriage, since we already have the term domestic partner along with laws that support this lifestyle.
wow way to go becky, respect!
Quote from JeffR :The point about the extreme case of pedaphiles is the concept, that it can't be helped because the person was born that way. "Born that way" is a philosophy could be used to justify any behavior, harmful or not. "Born that way" is the aspect that I most have issue with, regarding any behavior.

you have issues with what??? with something that is born that way? how is that anyone's fault? if anyone is in fault it's nature or god.

and pedophiles ain't "born that way" do your research!
Quote from JeffR :So gays would be better off living in Muslim countries like Iran?

Right now the spotlight is on you guys, i'll nuke those ****ers later.

Quote :The USA also doesn't approve of polygamy, and the vocal activists for polygamy often find themselves in trouble with the law.

I have no interest or opinion on polygamy, I guess if nobodies hurt it is fine, if people are hurt it isnt, and that depends on the execution of it (marrying teens isnt cool, marrying consenting adults - *shrug* who cares?), but i'm ill equipped to debate the issue as I dont know much about it.
Quote :Regarding homosexuality, it's tolerated and/or accepted in most of the non-rural USA, and many states have domestic partner laws giving similar right to gay couples as they do to married couples.

That's not equality.

Quote :Anyway, getting back on topic. A previous proposition was overturned by 4 judges in a split desicion on gay marriage, a very "liberal" interperation of the constition, clearly not what the writers of the constitiion had in mind when they wrote it.

Is it possible the people who wrote your constitution had not considered the plight of homosexuality? Was it not written at a time when homosexuals had as much rights as a slave?

Being British I dont understand nor care for the value you place on your constitution, i'll argue against an injustice whether it is written or not, if something is broken it needs fixing - right now legislation against homosexuals still exists both in the States and in Europe, whilst social acceptance in Europe is widespread (though not total) it is patchy in America.

The fact that California is even considering changing their constitution in order to impede on the rights of it's gay citizens is disgusting. I meen it makes me physically sick to think that homophobes would go to such lengths to hurt gay people.

And let's be frank about this, people ARE going to be hurt if this poposition goes through - this is a proposition with VICTIMS.

There are families, same-sex partners many of whome have stable families, who will see the legal rights and benefits of their union ripped apart by the small minded biggotted views of a bunch of doo gooders who have no right to selectively target people for persecution in the first place, and yet, seem to have the right to command an ammendment to your constitution just for the purposes of hurting these people.

It is a vindictive law that CA is trying to pass, it is a law designed to hurt very specific people. It is a law that will have victims - whereas if it is not passed there will be no victims.

Put simply it is a prime example of injustice, of prejudice, it is a shining becon to the world that America is has no morals or ethics worth an ounce of my spit.

It is disgusting that there are Americans in this thread who are not only letting this happen - but who are actually arguing a cause FOR this persecution.

You revolt me.
Quote from JJ72 :and pedophiles ain't "born that way" do your research!

Actually, casual research (see, searched on wikipedia) on the research done shows that they just *might* be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P ... e#Biological_correlations

Quote from Becky Rose :Is it possible the people who wrote your constitution had not considered the plight of homosexuality? Was it not written at a time when homosexuals had as much rights as a slave?

Funnily enough - at the time the constitution was written, America was the closest to anglosaxon European standards it ever was.
This thread is closed

Proposition 8 (United States, Homosexuality)
(329 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG