The online racing simulator
US trucks and EU trucks... :)
(111 posts, started )
Very very random guess is sleeping space ?

Since the engine is under the driver in the "boxcab", there maybe little/no space in the back for a small sleeping compartment.

In the longhood trucks, with the engine mounted forward, theres plenty space rear-ward for sleeping etc.

Most likely miles away from the real reason, but its my own theory !

Sarge.
thats coz europians are hard workers,and the lazy americans can sleep at every 100 miles^^
European roads aren't also wide enough for a few of those monsters driving i guess.
The design is called Peter Built I think.
I'd say its 'cause those yanks like big engines and there aint no where else to stick it except out the front
You have to admit they do look a lot cooler and more menacing too, like the truck from Duel for example.
A lot of the trucks have sleeping quarters in the back here, and some of them as you can imagine are ridiculously spacey and such. IDK if its because they sleep every 100miles but there are a lot of journeys across the entire states which is a very long distance. Although I don't know how far typical truck routes would go on the other side of the puddle. If they do travel as far than another benifit to the sleeping cab is not needing to pay for a hotel room when you do need sleep...
EU trucks also have sleeping place(s), maybe not that spacious like some american trucks, but they have them.
Quote from DratsaB :The design is called Peter Built I think.
I'd say its 'cause those yanks like big engines and there aint no where else to stick it except out the front
You have to admit they do look a lot cooler and more menacing too, like the truck from Duel for example.

It is an In-line Engine, not Peter Built. Euro trucks are Cab Overs.

Cab overs are better on narrow roads (which with have plenty of) plus they are easier to drive as your knees are near the front bumper so you know how close you are to hitting something.

The size of the engines also makes a big difference.
Quote from DratsaB :The design is called Peter Built I think.

Actually, Peterbilt is a truck company. There are several other US truck companies such as International, and this is their latest model:

That style of truck does not really have a name. But, in the US, there are also "cabover" trucks, just like in EU. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cab_over

See, here is a Peterbilt cabover:
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :It is an In-line Engine, not Peter Built. Euro trucks are Cab Overs.

The size of the engines also makes a big difference.

I think that is probably one of the reasons. Because, many american trucks have Inline 6 engines, while many Scania trucks have V8s. An inline 6 takes up more room because it is longer (obviously). Also, if you look at a picture of a Scania it is really really tall, as opposed to American trucks which appear to be shorter.

And, if anyone wonders why they use cabover trucks in europe, it's because in america you don't have to worry about getting into situations like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PIXfIbHFFc where a truck with a long hood would basically have not been able to get in that tight of a place.
EU trucks do have sleepin space in the back as well, though possibly yes not as huge as some US trucks.

But about engines... most of the trucks tend to pull same kinda weight? so... what's the.. ehm point.
#13 - SamH
US trucks have longer wheelbases because the distances they cover are colossal and LWB=more comfortable/stable. EU trucks have shorter wheelbases because the roads they have to use can be very narrow and a short wheelbase rig is necessary to get loads down them. Since the consideration of narrow roads doesn't feature so much in the US, they make the most of the wheelbase they can use.

There are also cultural differences, where the long-nosed trucks in Europe look dated and old-fashioned and don't appeal to European truckers.. while the long hood, to an American, symbolises "powahh" etc and is appealing. It all comes down to pseudo-willy-waving. Europeans aren't insecure, Americans are
Quote from SamH :
There are also cultural differences, where the long-nosed trucks in Europe look dated and old-fashioned and don't appeal to European truckers.. while the long hood, to an American, symbolises "powahh" etc and is appealing. It all comes down to pseudo-willy-waving. Europeans aren't insecure, Americans are

Yeah, but of course the funny thing is most of the merican trucks suck in the power department. And top line Europeans engines have incredible amount of power and torque.

Europeans try not to waste much length, so they can have more cargo. Fuel is expensive so you want to use every meter you are allowed to have on the road.
Aren't American regulations on load-spreading different to Europe? Such that American trucks/trailers require longer wheelbases.
The Scania of course, listening and feeling how the turbo starts to work is awesome when you go trough the gears.
Quote :thats coz europians are hard workers,and the lazy americans can sleep at every 100 miles^^

You're an idiot. American truckers are among the hardest working truckers around. Averaging 600 - 700 miles a day. The old school guys ignore the rules and run even harder. 800 miles and 16 - 18 hour days are not uncommon over here. Some of my livestock hauling buddies regularly run 2 or 3 days straight.
Quote :The design is called Peter Built I think.

Peterbilt is a brand of truck made by Paccar. Paccar also makes Kenworth trucks and Pierce bodied fire trucks.
Quote :I'd say its 'cause those yanks like big engines and there aint no where else to stick it except out the front

On the average we run 14 and 15 liter engines over here. Those same engines used to also fit in cabovers, which used to be popular over here when we still had length limits. So engine size is not an issue. FWIW we do have 600+hp engines in some of these trucks lurking about.
Quote :That style of truck does not really have a name.

Yes they do. Trucks with hoods are called Conventional tractors.
Quote :Yeah, but of course the funny thing is most of the merican trucks suck in the power department. And top line Europeans engines have incredible amount of power and torque.

Europeans try not to waste much length, so they can have more cargo. Fuel is expensive so you want to use every meter you are allowed to have on the road.

Sorry, but I'm sure we are making more HP and Torque on average with our engines then you are. There aren't many trucks running around out there right now with any less then 500HP and 2200ft/lb of torque. Many of the guys that own their trucks are getting over 700HP and 2500ft/lbs.

We also get pretty good fuel mileage considering. My trucks are running upwards of 700HP and we are getting 7mpg pulling heavy loads.

According to a German friend of mine that was born and raised there and drove those Scanias and such, he says those trucks are nice and safe, but they don't compare in the ride and power department. He does say that those EU trucks are way more technologically advanced then ours are. He now drives over here.

What it comes down to is this:

The further the front axle is from the cab, the better the ride. The longer the wheelbase, the better the ride. The U.S. did at one time have a large number of cabovers. The reason for this was that 53 foot trailers were the norm. You couldn't meet the length requirement with a 53 foot trailer and a conventional truck. Therefore cabovers were popular. The USDOT decided to give us another 12 or so feet on our limit which made cabovers extinct. The conventional trucks get better mileage, ride better, and have more room. If any of you had to spend 3 or 4 weeks at a time living in one of these things then you would come to apreciate these "willy-waving" trucks rather quickly.

I've been in the trucking business for 14 years. I've owned a trucking company for the last 6 years. So i know a little about it anyway.
Quote from S k i p p y :You're an idiot. American truckers are among the hardest working truckers around. Averaging 600 - 700 miles a day. The old school guys ignore the rules and run even harder. 800 miles and 16 - 18 hour days are not uncommon over here. Some of my livestock hauling buddies regularly run 2 or 3 days straight.

I don't think he was being so serious, so don't start the name-calling. It is idiotic.
Quote from S k i p p y :You're an idiot. American truckers are among the hardest working truckers around. Averaging 600 - 700 miles a day. The old school guys ignore the rules and run even harder. 800 miles and 16 - 18 hour days are not uncommon over here. Some of my livestock hauling buddies regularly run 2 or 3 days straight.

Drugs much? How many of your guys take drugs to do more mileage? Endurance is nothing to brag about if you're doing it through drugs and endangering other road users.

Quote from S k i p p y :Sorry, but I'm sure we are making more HP and Torque on average with our engines then you are. There aren't many trucks running around out there right now with any less then 500HP and 2200ft/lb of torque. Many of the guys that own their trucks are getting over 700HP and 2500ft/lbs.

I think the point was that European engines are generally more efficient and economical than American engines (this is true in everything though, not just trucks).
Quote from S k i p p y :American truckers are among the hardest working truckers around.

I really like how the movie industry (hollywood) thoroughly support that mental image
Quote :I don't think he was being so serious, so don't start the name-calling. It is idiotic.

Yeah it's a known fact around here that you can bash Americans all you want. I'm getting sick of it. I've never once bashed anybody here until today. I've never once bashed another country here either. So get of my ass.

Quote :Drugs much? How many of your guys take drugs to do more mileage? Endurance is nothing to brag about if you're doing it through drugs and endangering other road users

It's a known fact that livestock haulers around here are doing something. I won't deny that. It's not safe, it's stupid. My guys don't haul livestock. They do work on average 15-16 hours a day, 15 is legal. They don't take drugs. They are drug tested randomly every 2 months.
Quote :I think the point was that European engines are generally more efficient and economical than American engines (this is true in everything though, not just trucks).

I think you misread it then. I know they are probably more efficient. I also know they don't make the power we do. Which is what I said after he said we don't have the same power. Read it again.
Quote from Hyperactive :I really like how the movie industry (hollywood) thoroughly support that mental image

Hollywood is crap. You can't base anything about anybody or any country on what Hollywood says. Here or abroad.
Yo guys, there is no need to insult each other!!! Happy forum please. Grrr...
Well the US have the widest road to they can't let all that room go to waste e.g. they are the fattest country around.

(111 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG