The online racing simulator
What's the point of i racing.com
(65 posts, started )
Worst "look at me, I go racing" thread, ever
Quote from durbster :Worst "look at me, I go racing" thread, ever

As John Stewart on the Daily Show would say....

....Nailed it
Quote from danowat :iRacing is the best SIM there is, bar none.

That's not to say LFS isn't VERY good, because it is, but in pure sim terms, iR is where it's at, of course, the price is a stumbling block to many, but in life, you get what you pay for.

Despite being a SIM, it's still just a racing game. Everything from NFS to LFS, just proves you can still race cars. And all those sort of games cost alot cheaper than Iracing. What does having good graphics prove? It's not like graphics affect gameplay? (don't get me wrong, I still hate last-gen gfx though.)

So I pretty much see no point in Iracing. A racing game that is alot more expensive than almost any other racing game you can get on the market.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :Despite being a SIM, it's still just a racing game. Everything from NFS to LFS, just proves you can still race cars. And all those sort of games cost alot cheaper than Iracing. What does having good graphics prove? It's not like graphics affect gameplay? (don't get me wrong, I still hate last-gen gfx though.)

So I pretty much see no point in Iracing. A racing game that is alot more expensive than almost any other racing game you can get on the market.

Sorry, but that post makes no sense.

So all racing games are the same because you can still race cars?

The point in iR is, it's (much) more realistic than any other sim out there.
Yeah, but despite being as 'realistic' as possible, you gotta remember you're still playing a game. I'm pretty sure there is a 'restart' button somewhere in the game. Now where is that in real-life?
You are missing the point.

Many people strive for as much realism in their "games", not only in racing games, but also in flight sims etc etc.

To many people, realism is the over riding factor in choosing which sim to play, arcade games have their place, heck I enjoy playing Midnight Club LA.

Not everyone can afford to race IRL, which is why they strive for as much realism as possible from a racing sim, and iR is that sim, it's as close as you can get to real life racing on a PC, for now.
Well maybe that's just those people who are REALLY desprite to race. I don't play games be be as close to realism as possible. I play for fun. I don't mind those who pay that much for iR or other expensive sims, I was just writing my opinion on how I thought on those sort of games.
agreed and all racing games can teach you the same basic thing any way, such as finding the fastest way round a corner or overtaking
Quote from Gunn :The entire concept of iRacing as a product seems to be to satisfy the insatiable greed of the developers. It's a good sim, but is tainted by the outrageous cost, especially if you want a decent amount of content. They've ruined a good thing by being greedy. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I refuse to participate in it even though I can afford it. The cost is ridiculous if you look at the long-term outlay.

You sir couldn't be more uninformed. John Henry spent 20 mil out of his own pocket to fund this project. He has more money than he could ever want. Hes is one of the most pationate sim racers on the planet. This isn't about money for him or Dave K at all. It's about trying to make the most accurate sim possible and try intergrating the sim as a training tool for real drivers. Just look at the announcement and partnership with Star Mazda, the partnership with Riley, Gm etc...

People like you read crap on the forum and believe it. They will be lucky to brake even 5 years from now....Greed, I don't think so.

EDIT: Here is an another tidbit for you. John Heary has 687 posts on the iRacing forums. Asking the user question, having debates with us about how to improve the service. Yup I see only greed in his eyes.
Some people just like sims. I guess by now people on the LFS forum must know that I'm not into cars, and I couldn't hold a first year physics conversation with anyone, but that doesn't mean I can't be attracted to something like LFS, or other serious sims which actually care about striving to provide an authentic racing experience. I like hearing about what people think about this or that feature of a sim- to me it's really interesting, and I'm actually not really sure why! Probably it's because I'm a fan of little technological novelties, and semi-authentic driving physics is still, unfortunately pretty novel.

TBH, I've started thinking about maybe getting out to a real kart track somewhere and having a go, just for fun. But I'll happily put more money into sim-racing (signing up to iracing soon and just bought a g25).
Quote from A.Ulleri :You sir couldn't be more uninformed. John Henry spent 20 mil out of his own pocket to fund this project. He has more money than he could ever want. Hes is one of the most pationate sim racers on the planet. This isn't about money for him or Dave K at all. It's about trying to make the most accurate sim possible and try intergrating the sim as a training tool for real drivers. Just look at the announcement and partnership with Star Mazda, the partnership with Riley, Gm etc...

People like you read crap on the forum and believe it. They will be lucky to brake even 5 years from now....Greed, I don't think so.

EDIT: Here is an another tidbit for you. John Heary has 687 posts on the iRacing forums. Asking the user question, having debates with us about how to improve the service. Yup I see only greed in his eyes.

Tell my why they stole every god damn physic code from Nr2003 then?
If it's not greed it's lazyness. Damn game, using everything that ALLREADY is out there, and then claim it to be "amazingly new and realistic". The graphics sucks too, but that's not strange because in facts it's a joke, and more like a NR2003 mod.
Quote from The Very End :Tell my why they stole every god damn physic code from Nr2003 then?
If it's not greed it's lazyness. Damn game, using everything that ALLREADY is out there, and then claim it to be "amazingly new and realistic". The graphics sucks too, but that's not strange because in facts it's a joke, and more like a NR2003 mod.

Maybe S2 would be better if the devs had started fresh after S1, no?
Quote from The Very End :Tell my why they stole every god damn physic code from Nr2003 then?

Have you played it TVE?
Quote from A.Ulleri :You sir couldn't be more uninformed. John Henry spent 20 mil out of his own pocket to fund this project. He has more money than he could ever want. Hes is one of the most pationate sim racers on the planet. This isn't about money for him or Dave K at all.

Why isn't it cheaper then?
The idea, well, the idea that was banded around the beta forums when I was beta testing was......

It's expensive to provide exclusivity, the reason behind that is to take it out of the "twitch / impulse" buy bracket, therefore meaning that those who purchase it are likely to be serious about their racing, meaning that you (should) be racing against serious racers, and not a bunch of kids / people who aren't interested in "real racing" / those that are likely to ruin races.

It's similar to those exclusive golf and other clubs that have extortionate membership prices to make sure the riff-raff don't get in.

As for making more money, you could argue that by charging more, they are actually likely to make less money than if the price point were reduced, simply because less people will be buying it at it's current price point.
Quote :they are actually likely to make less money than if the price point were reduced, simply because less people will be buying it at it's current price point.

I agree with that. On the first point though, they could have simply asked an initial higher price, without resorting to subscriptions. The way it's going now, it's like punishing sim racers for being sim racers.
Quote from Electrik Kar :The way it's going now, it's like punishing sim racers for being sim racers.

No, it's punishing wreckers and idiots that have no interest in serious racing, and letting the rest of us who are passionate about it, spend a bit of cash to get some quality on-line racing.

Also, back to the OP - why does it exist? We're not all 18 years old without a care in the world - some people have families, and aren't willing to risk their health in a real racing car. Or how about people who don't want to spend the night being driven into barriers by a bunch of kids trying to win a race in the first corner? Time is money at our age
If the developers are using price as a deterrent, then it follows that the inflated price is just an arbitrarily designated artificial one, which as I see it is more damaging to the people who have 'bought' the sim than to the people who haven't.

sorry: edited just before your reply
Nobody really buys software anyway, they only buy the rights to use it.
Quote from Alistair :They say it's good for training yourself for driving one of the cars on the game but if you had one you would spend 25 hours a day at the track driving it and eating caffine pills to stay awake.

I'm more old-skool, I have 24 hours a day..

Either way, I-racing just can't beat LFS, only in development time maybe, but hell there is a lot to improve (I suppose).
Quote from RossUK :Whats the point of buying a pc game made by EA that costs £40 and the fun lasts about 0 Seconds?

Corrected.
Meh, were some of you guys abused by EA as children?

What's the point of i racing.com
(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG