The online racing simulator
#51 - SamH
Only 30% of settlers supported the war of independence, mike. Hand back our colony immediately.
wait a minute, how are you suggesting we count the votes of the people who didn't vote? Should people be forced to vote? Thats not democracy either!

You seem unable to accept the fact that the majority of voters were against gay marriage in 2000 and may well be again in 2008.

16 percent of the population? Is everyone in Germany over 18 and votes for every piece of legislature? Get a grip.
>In law, a quorum is the minimum number of members of a deliberative body necessary to conduct the business of that group. Ordinarily, this is a majority of the people expected to be there, although many bodies may have a lower or higher quorum.
Contents

so its more than 16% maybe... certainly still a lot less than even half of the population

nevermind that gay marriage is an equality issue which is granted by just about all democratic constitutions and as such cannot be voted against
your argument assumes that gay people cannot be married in CA, which is true, but they can be domestic partners and have the exact same rights. Why all the fuss then? Because churches will lose their tax exemption if they speak against gay marriage because they would be speaking out against CA law. Even though a tenet of Christianity preaches against homosexuality (although that is by far the least important lesson one should learn from it.)

Also because most people are against it, they won't want it to be taught in schools because they feel homosexuality is not normal and it should not be conveyed to young students as such. I feel it is an alternative lifestyle and it takes a mature mind to understand the issue. The problem is, young people from kindergarten to about 9th grade are not old enough to discuss homosexuality in school, but should instead learn it from their parents.
#55 - wark
Quote from thisnameistaken :Do you actually teach English in Norway? Your English vocabulary is much broader than that of most English people.

Except "activism" and "hyperbole" are important words to understand, too.
Quote from Becky Rose :"Do you Miss van Dyke and Miss Rose take each other to become Mrs & Mrs van Dyke and Dominguez"?

Hmm and theres me led to believe you didn't like Dick......sorry Becky
Quote :Because churches will lose their tax exemption if they speak against gay marriage because they would be speaking out against CA law.

You think churches should be allowed to preach intollerence? There's none so committed to a cause as those who 'believe' in it, which gives churches great power. If a church preaches on an issue it has influence, and what you are advocating is that churches should be allowed to convince other people that intollerence is not just acceptable, but that intollerence of certain groups is to be encouraged.

What if I was a member of a church that preached intollerence of you because you're a white ayrian supremacist? Would that be allowed? Down with the whites...

Quote :Even though a tenet of Christianity preaches against homosexuality

No it doesnt. There is absolutely nothing in either the old testament or the new that preaches against homosexuality. We've had this discussion here before and since then the bible has not changed. There are a lot of sexual vices that are implicitly illegal, like widows who didnt give their husband and heir have to sleep with the husbands brothers until she produces an heir, and so on. Not doing that is death by stoning in the bible, but homosexuality is not expressely forbidden, except for priests (Leviticus).

If you like you can even quote scripture at me, i'll quarantee i'll put you back in your place. Your good book does not speak out against gays, your congregation does, and it does so because - as is always the case with believers - the views expressed herein are those of who holds power and not those written*

(*this statement in no way condones believing in what is written in the bible either)

Quote :(although that is by far the least important lesson one should learn from it.)

It's not a lesson you should have learned at all, if you'd read the damn book.

Quote :Also because most people are against it, they won't want it to be taught in schools because they feel homosexuality is not normal and it should not be conveyed to young students as such.

Intollerence isn't normal.

Homosexuality SHOULD be taught when a youngster goes through puberty, when they are descovering their sexuality and feeling urges that are confusing. We already have a system in place of sexual education in schools, this is the point where homosexuality SHOULD be taught, to help young gay children understand their sexuality.

Teaching what it is does not make a person gay. You either are gay or are not. You aren't confusing the mind of any child by explaining what homosexuality is. What you are doing, however, is helping the child to understand themselves.

If you then say, "But homosexuality is evil and you will be cast into the pits of hell", and the child is dumb enough to believe your religious rhetoric, the poor kid is going to spend the rest of their life avoiding the issue of their sexuality. An act which for me sent me down a spiral of drug abuse, because I grew up in a world of close religious minded biggots and didnt understand my sexuality, I turned to the only thing I found that dumbed the pain. This appears is what you are advocating is a good thing.

If I had been given the opportunity to express who I was without fear of a, what's the phrase the red knecks use ... "poof drag"? (where they tie a gay person by rope to a pickup truck and drag them, the 'funny' thing being that they are being 'DRAGGED' oh har har) then I might not have had to go through some of the things that I did.

Quote :I feel it is an alternative lifestyle and it takes a mature mind to understand the issue.

What the **** would you know about it, biggot? Your a bible bashing fanatical who preaches hatred and intollerence of gays. You are NOT ENTITLED to an opinion on my sexuality, or of my lifestyle, because you lack the mental capacity to comprehend anyone who doesnt fit your extremist religious nut case fairy tale beliving poof dragging white ass point of view.

(that's intollerence btw, I thought it ironic that I should use some - fun to be on the receiving end isnt it).

Quote :The problem is, young people from kindergarten to about 9th grade are not old enough to discuss homosexuality in school, but should instead learn it from their parents.

What the hell makes you think you are qualified to teach homosexuality? So you think kids should be taught sex education in school, but the subject of homosexuality should come from their biggotted quazi-nazi father?

You're mad.
Quote from flymike91 :I feel it is an alternative lifestyle and it takes a mature mind to understand the issue. The problem is, young people from kindergarten to about 9th grade are not old enough to discuss homosexuality in school, but should instead learn it from their parents.

:slap:

You're about to be the first person that I add to my ignore list in all the forums I've ever been at.

On topic I have nothing to say more than a big +1 to Becky's words (except the autobiographic part :nol2.
#59 - th84
Quote from flymike91 :your argument assumes that gay people cannot be married in CA, which is true, but they can be domestic partners and have the exact same rights. Why all the fuss then? Because churches will lose their tax exemption if they speak against gay marriage because they would be speaking out against CA law. Even though a tenet of Christianity preaches against homosexuality (although that is by far the least important lesson one should learn from it.)

Also because most people are against it, they won't want it to be taught in schools because they feel homosexuality is not normal and it should not be conveyed to young students as such. I feel it is an alternative lifestyle and it takes a mature mind to understand the issue. The problem is, young people from kindergarten to about 9th grade are not old enough to discuss homosexuality in school, but should instead learn it from their parents.

In my eyes, if people are allowed to be christian, (which to me is as much as a "alternative lifestyle" as being gay is) then people shoule be allowed to be gay and have the same rights as everyone else.

We should also change the tax exemption on churches. They are the biggest buisness in this country. They should certainly have to pay taxes just like every other buisness.
Quote from flymike91 :I think many people don't undertstand how conservative california really is. A few years ago, a similar proposition banned gay marriage and passed by 61% but was overturned by 4 activist judges. 4 million votes vs 4 judges. is that democracy?

It is representative democracy if ban was unconstitutional. There are a number of things that some claim would be popular in the UK, however they are unconstitutional (indirectly as we don't have a written constitution, and we don't really need one at the moment thank you all the same).

Looks like that proposition was rejected due to the Full Faith and Credit clause. Unsure though.

Quote :@DeadWolfBones (not that he can read this if he ignored me) Ignoring someone because they hold different beliefs and values is not the open-mindedness you preach now is it? For the record I've never ignored anyone. I've always responded to criticism and while you and I may not always agree (and may never) I at least give you the respect you deserve.

He's within his rights to put anyone he wants to on his ignore list - including me.

Quote from wien :EDIT: Oh, and I write British English, in which "polarise" is one of two allowed spellings.
If I had gone into teaching, chances are I'd be a murderer by now. I don't have the patience.

Is Norway the only country where UN Standard/EU Standard English is instructed over EN-US?

Quote :I just read, write and listen to English an awful lot. It's actually gotten to the point where my Norwegian is suffering and I struggle to construct proper sentences without resorting to English turns and phrases. A bit pathetic really. Just don't ask me to speak English or I'll melt into an embarrassed, stammering puddle on the floor.

Not a problem mate - I have no knowledge of Norwegian so I would look like more of an eejit
Quote from flymike91 :I think many people don't undertstand how conservative california really is. A few years ago, a similar proposition banned gay marriage and passed by 61% but was overturned by 4 activist judges. 4 million votes vs 4 judges. is that democracy

No it's not, however there are always gunna be those human rights activists, and honestly, I think it's better to have them, than to not. Without them we'd all have to carry ID cards, have satellites watching us in our car, surviellence cameras in our house, etc.
You dont speak Norwegian as well as they speak English, Duke? So "kan je a duke_toaster tu pupper takk?" would meen nothing to you?

It's important to learn at least the basics of all languages, these are:
How to order beer
How to order Chicken Tikka Madras or Kebab
How to swear at someone

I even learned the American English forms of these 3 phrases just incase.
Give beer now
I'll have a super-sized McBurger, 3 portions of supersized freedom-fries and extra large supersized coca-cola, a rack of ribs and a dozen McNuggets with a straw please, dude
You're gay

#65 - SamH
Quote from Becky Rose :We already have a system in place of sexual education in schools

I remember we had one teacher who gave sexual education to a lass in the 6th form, but IIRC he was fired for that. The rest of us had "Unit 6", sex education.. sex the noun, rather than sexual the adjective.

The last 7 or so years have shown that Guantanamericans have a less well-developed concept of human rights than China. Homosexuality is acceptable in every civilised society. I do mean every. It is not "normal" - nobody should be pretending it is - but it is inevitable. It is exactly what it is and it is not necessarily optional. But there is no point in trying to communicate this to a right-wing neocon. They're not called right-wing neocons for their ability to accept new ideas, let's face it, and if they can't grasp the importance of attaining moral high-ground (Remember Donald Rumsfeld's "**** the Geneva Convention"?), they'll never grasp the concept of equality in sexuality.
Americans have a right to free speach right? So how can I be wrong for using my tongue?
Quote from Becky Rose :Americans have a right to free speach right? So how can I be wrong for using my tongue?

It depends what you use your tongue for.
Quote from Becky Rose :You think churches should be allowed to preach intollerence?

intollerance will not be tollerated... tbh i still havent been able to work my way around this south park quote

Quote :What the hell makes you think you are qualified to teach homosexuality? So you think kids should be taught sex education in school, but the subject of homosexuality should come from their biggotted quazi-nazi father?

im surprised it took so long to arrive at godwin

Quote from duke_toaster :Is Norway the only country where UN Standard/EU Standard English is instructed over EN-US?

german teachers teach british english as well and even though its mighty hard they will punish you if you dare to mix the two (if youre consistently british or american its ok)

Quote from SamH :It is not "normal" - nobody should be pretending it is

define normal... as far as i can tell theres 2 sensible definitions in this case
1) well off the centre of the normal distribution (which in this case would be somewhere at around mostly heterosexual) but by that measure all pro basketball players are abnormal as well which has quite a few more connotations to it that id be willing to throw around without provocation
2) natural which it is
#69 - wien
Quote from Becky Rose :You dont speak Norwegian as well as they speak English, Duke? So "kan je a duke_toaster tu pupper takk?" would meen nothing to you?

I'm not sure what you were trying to say there, but you got the words for "tits" and "thank you" correct, so you'd probably do just fine over here.
Quote from Shotglass :german teachers teach british english as well and even though its mighty hard they will punish you if you dare to mix the two (if youre consistently british or american its ok)

Yep, same here. I remember we were actually given a choice between EN-US and EN-GB when first starting college and the teacher would grade accordingly. Elementary and Secondary school were strictly EN-GB though IIRC.

/OT
It's not normal in that it does not make biological sense to be attracted to the same sex, afaik. It's a natural occurance though, and I have none of the problems that so many people seem to have with it
Quote from flymike91 :A few years ago, a similar proposition banned gay marriage and passed by 61% but was overturned by 4 activist judges. 4 million votes vs 4 judges. is that democracy?

Yes, it is. The Supreme Court struck down Proposition 22 because it was in conflict with the consitution, IIRC. If the people of California want to ban same-sex marriage, they need to change the constitution. (Which is what Proposition 8 is about.)

The judges simply did what is their primary task: guard the consistency of the laws. This is part of the normal process of creating laws in a democracy. Calling the judges "activists" is cheap. It makes you look like a whiner.
Quote from flymike91 :your argument assumes that gay people cannot be married in CA, which is true, but they can be domestic partners and have the exact same rights.

Let me get his straight. There are two types of marriage, in which the partners have exactly the same rights? But one type of marriage is called marriage and the other not. So gay couples can effectively be married, with every right that belongs to it, except being called "married"? That's ridiculous, or rather, hypocritical. If the majority is against recognition of same-sex couples, then they should ban this too.
#72 - wien
Quote from wsinda :Let me get his straight. There are two types of marriage, in which the partners have exactly the same rights? But one type of marriage is called marriage and the other not.

This is where things get complicated you see. As far as I've been able to tell civil unions and marriages have the same legal rights... in California. The problems come up if you want to move to another state. You cannot "transfer" your civil union to the other state and get the same benefits there. That only applies to marriages, so using the word "marriage" is essential to ensuring equal rights.
Quote from Jertje :It's not normal in that it does not make biological sense to be attracted to the same sex, afaik.

Given the number of animals where homose ... haviour has been observed, you can only conclude that it does make sense. Only, our grasp of "biological sense" is too limited.

Before someone uses this as an argument in the debate, I should point out that infanticide is also natural: it has been observed widely among animals, and in some circumstances it makes evolutionary sense (i.e. it produces more offspring).
Quote from wien :The problems come up if you want to move to another state. You cannot "transfer" your civil union to the other state and get the same benefits there. That only applies to marriages, so using the word "marriage" is essential to ensuring equal rights.

It does not ensure equal rights, I think. Proposition 8 also denies validity to same-sex marriages from other states. So a gay couple that moves from Massachusetts to California would not get their marriage recognized.
Quote from Jertje :It's not normal in that it does not make biological sense to be attracted to the same sex, afaik.

What do you mean by "to make biological sense"?
This thread is closed

Proposition 8 (United States, Homosexuality)
(329 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG