The online racing simulator
Ferrari make F1 engine row threat
(75 posts, started )
Of course they will. The FIA know that any sane manufacturer wouldn't be in F1 if too much was standardised, and they know that anyone with half a brain will watch something else (probably F3, which at least isn't a dull spec series, or maybe MotoGP) if they have standard engines.

It's just a "if you don't do something quick you'll regret it" threat from the FIA.
Mid 90s CART did quite well with "customer" engines (better than F1 at the time, I'd say).

I think the current FIA plan is stupid, but having a spec or semi-spec series isn't dumb by default.
Agreed, in the Montoya years and a bit prior to that, Cart was an awesome series; it just kind of dissolved when he left.

I think what the difference here is, though, is that series such as the old Cart and IRL are composed of private teams, not of automobile manufacturer (at least in most part, there might be some, I don't know). It doesn't matter so much if the engine, or, say, the chassis is standardized in those series since they don't build them, they buy it.

However, when you're called Ferrari, you're making supercars. When you're making supercars, one of the crucial element is the engine, and if you're told that the series you participate in will stop you from building one of those crucial element, there's no point in staying. I just don't see Ferrari staying with standardized engine and only the chassis and aeros for them to tweak.
#29 - col
What the FIA could do is allow teams to build their own custom engines, but make it a rule that they must in return make those engines available to any other teams for a fixed (nice and low) price - so the big budget teams can spend loads of cash and show off their engine building prowess, but the minows can get a competitive engine at a reasonable price.
Quote from col :What the FIA could do is allow teams to build their own custom engines, but make it a rule that they must in return make those engines available to any other teams for a fixed (nice and low) price - so the big budget teams can spend loads of cash and show off their engine building prowess, but the minows can get a competitive engine at a reasonable price.

I believe this allready is one of the proposals from the FIA.
Quote from tristancliffe :Of course they will. The FIA know that any sane manufacturer wouldn't be in F1 if too much was standardised, and they know that anyone with half a brain will watch something else (probably F3, which at least isn't a dull spec series, or maybe MotoGP) if they have standard engines.

It's just a "if you don't do something quick you'll regret it" threat from the FIA.

Yeah, alright, no need to throw the "only a moron would like it", "nobody with half a brain will watch it" stuff about. Express your opinion, you don't have to insult people who might see things differently from you as you do that.

Still, I don't really like the way this would take F1 either. Reducing costs is one thing, but devaluing the sport is another. In the short term it might not effect the glitz and glamour of the F1 circus, but in the longer term the identity of F1 will be somewhat lost. The things which seperate it from other series', which define it as the pinnacle of motor sport and the industry, will be largely eroded.

It will also be a tough thing to undo I reckon.

Hopefully it is all hot air, and nothing comes of it.
#33 - col
Quote from Joris :I believe this allready is one of the proposals from the FIA.

I should start paying closer attention

The idea does make sense to me - much more so than a standard engine. If its done well, it could help even the playing field and at the same time reduce the costs... at least the engine costs. The big teams are going to think twice about building stupidly expensive engines if they have to then supply half of the grid with them at a huge loss.
At the same time, it gives the manufacturers another arena in which to compete.
#34 - 5haz
One can only hope that if Ferrari pull out of F1, they will start a massive LMP prototype campaign with some gorgeous looking red cars.

That is if the FIA haven't killed off LMP for being 'too noisy' by then.

Quote from Töki (HUN) :Races eh.. What would we see then? 1. Hamilton. +10secs 2. Kovalainen... + 30secs. BMW or Renault. I wouldn't call that race.

There will be no Renault or BMW and the Mclarens will probrably be Zytek Mclarens or something like that.

Quote from DeadWolfBones :Mid 90s CART did quite well with "customer" engines (better than F1 at the time, I'd say).

I think the current FIA plan is stupid, but having a spec or semi-spec series isn't dumb by default.

But at least there was a choice of Engine and Chassis, and some even built their own e.g. Galmer and Truesports (although that was early 90's).

And before that there was the Alfa Romeo chassis which was related to a Ferrari project (Ferrari 637), created as a threat to the FIA in the mid 80's, when they tried to bring in regulations that would force everyone to run a V8 engine. Its a small world
Quote from duke_toaster :As much as I dislike Ferrari's tactics of recent years, I'm inclined to agree on this one. It would be like Gladiators without Wolf, or baseball without the New York Yankees - a successful team that has a number of diehard almost to the point of fanboyism supporters and everyone else cannot stand.

NHL without the Toronto Maple Leafs? (Go Leafs Go!)

Quote from DevilDare :thats what you think no more Ferrari -> Fair races

"F1 is about who can build the best car, not just who's the best racing driver"

McFerrari <<< Lol wut?

Um... that is exactly what F1 is about - the best car. You just need the best driver to make the most of it. F1 has always been about technological development, not racing for racing's sake (like GP2 and every single spec series ever).

Quote from DieKolkrabe :Anyone know what other series they do apart from F1?

A1GP and the Ferrari F430 GT2 program (all privateer teams IIRC, though). I don't think they do strictly factory racing in any other series than F1.

Quote from tristancliffe :Only a moron would watch F1 with a standard engine supply. It'd be shit. Ferrari would be right to move on, as would all the other manufacturers, leaving someone like Cosworth or Mechachrome to supply engines.

Hey now, Cosworth had a good run :P 1967 right up to the early 80s. That's quite impressive, I'd say. Sure, it may not have been the cream of the crop in the 70s and 80s, but in the late 60's it was the best there was. Mechachrome, to my knowledge, is indeed shite, though.

Quote from boosterfire :The whole point is that they designed their engine better than the others.

A lot of people seem to forget this point. This is what F1 is all about.

Quote :I agree that there needs to be some kind of change made to F1 so that it isn't such a money-pit, but in my opinion it doesn't involve making all cars the same. Reducing costs is a good opportunity to move forward toward new technologies.

I was against cost-cutting measures in F1 until the second sentence of this paragraph. That is a good point - the cost cutting just needs to come in the right form to allow such technological innovation.

Quote from boosterfire :I must say that I'm getting bored of having a 4 to 8 player championship while there's 20 cars on the field. You could just get rid of everything except ferrari, renault, mclaren and bmw and it would be about the same thing. If everybody not only had the same engine, but the same car, F1 would be MUCH more interesting. Imagine having 20 cars all within 3 seconds or so.

It wouldn't be F1 anymore. It would just be another spec series.

Quote from DeadWolfBones :I think the current FIA plan is stupid, but having a spec or semi-spec series isn't dumb by default.

I agree, spec series are not dumb by default, but a spec F1 is. F1, as said, is about technological innovation as the result of competition (which is what stems most innovation - be it on a race track or on a battlefield or otherwise). A spec series will never, ever, be a pinnacle of technology because there would be no point to it.

Quote from col :What the FIA could do is allow teams to build their own custom engines, but make it a rule that they must in return make those engines available to any other teams for a fixed (nice and low) price - so the big budget teams can spend loads of cash and show off their engine building prowess, but the minows can get a competitive engine at a reasonable price.

That's a terrible idea. Then you have poorer teams running with the big boys' toys who spent all the money. That's just asinine, and every bit as bad of an idea as making F1 a spec series.

Quote from 5haz :One can only hope that if Ferrari pull out of F1, they will start a massive LMP prototype campaign with some gorgeous looking red cars.

In a perfect world... God I miss the 333SP
#36 - 5haz
Quote from MAGGOT :Hey now, Cosworth had a good run :P 1967 right up to the early 80s. That's quite impressive, I'd say. Sure, it may not have been the cream of the crop in the 70s and 80s, but in the late 60's it was the best there was. Mechachrome, to my knowledge, is indeed shite, though.

In a perfect world... God I miss the 333SP

I think Meccachrome was basically a distributor for Renault engines, basically if you wanted last season's Renault motor, you got a Meccachrome.

As for the 333sp, the only thing about it that was Ferrari was the engine, the chassis was Dallara, although I have to agree its a wonderful car.
Quote from 5haz :That is if the FIA haven't killed off LMP for being 'too noisy' by then.

luckily the driving force seems to be the aco who are a much more reasonable bunch despite being french
#38 - 5haz
Quote from Shotglass :luckily the driving force seems to be the aco who are a much more reasonable bunch despite being french

Indeed, but surely the FIA have some kind of influence? Seeing as they are supposed to be the overall governing body of international motorsport in Europe (if not the world)
Quote from sam93 :The FIA haven't backed down to Ferrari, http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71797

"It seems the Ferrari Board were misinformed."

It seems that FIA has been misinformed about the purpose of F1.

Quote from DieKolkrabe :Anyone know what other series they do apart from F1?

Quote from MAGGOT :A1GP and the Ferrari F430 GT2 program (all privateer teams IIRC, though). I don't think they do strictly factory racing in any other series than F1.

Last time "SpA Ferrari" entered a sportscar race was in 1973, I think..

Quote from 5haz :Indeed, but surely the FIA have some kind of influence? Seeing as they are supposed to be the overall governing body of international motorsport in Europe (if not the world)

For safety aspects yes, I doubt there is much influence for actual technical side of things. Except if they co-work with something, like they've apparently done with hybrid/KERS regulations.
#40 - 5haz
That article makes me think the FIA want to back down from introducing spec engines, but without making it look like they have backed down, faced with threats from massive influences such as Ferrari, the FIA are hopefully backing off (like they are also doing with KERS), from their stupid ideas.

Im so glad that some of the teams have stood up and showed the FIA they will not take any more bs, especially Ferrari as they probrably have the biggest influence.
Quote from 5haz :I think Meccachrome was basically a distributor for Renault engines, basically if you wanted last season's Renault motor, you got a Meccachrome.

Williams ran Mechachrome in 98 and 99 (I think) after Renault pulled out of F1. Were those old Renault engines? I'd have thought that if they were, Williams would not have done so shit in both seasons.

Quote :As for the 333sp, the only thing about it that was Ferrari was the engine, the chassis was Dallara, although I have to agree its a wonderful car.

Really? I seem to recall most of the 333SP's running Judd engines... at least in the later 90s anyways. My brain has a habit of fabricating memories, though, so I could be totally wrong on that. Although, I'm dead certain that in 98 the Olive Garden 333SP was powered by a Judd engine.. I guess it wasn't a Ferrari at all then. Did Ferrari have any input in the development of the chassis?

Quote from Shotglass :luckily the driving force seems to be the aco who are a much more reasonable bunch despite being french

While being true, this is still a mind-boggling statement.

Quote from 5haz :Indeed, but surely the FIA have some kind of influence? Seeing as they are supposed to be the overall governing body of international motorsport in Europe (if not the world)

Says who? They're a sanctioning body just like the ACO is, as far as I know. Just because they have 'Internationale' in their name doesn't mean that they're top dog of the world. If they are, indeed, the overall governing body then I'll eat my.. uhh.. well, I'll find something un-appetizing to eat.
Quote from MAGGOT :Williams ran Mechachrome in 98 and 99 (I think) after Renault pulled out of F1. Were those old Renault engines? I'd have thought that if they were, Williams would not have done so shit in both seasons.

Yes they used 97 spec renault engines but that was the only reason why they were competitive, they were using a car based on slicks for the grooved tire change in 98 the car was basically unchanged at all.
Quote from MAGGOT :Really? I seem to recall most of the 333SP's running Judd engines... at least in the later 90s anyways. My brain has a habit of fabricating memories, though, so I could be totally wrong on that. Although, I'm dead certain that in 98 the Olive Garden 333SP was powered by a Judd engine.. I guess it wasn't a Ferrari at all then. Did Ferrari have any input in the development of the chassis?

"For the 2000 season, Kevin Doran of Doran Racing replaced the 4.0 liter Ferrari V12 engine with a 4.0 liter Judd GV4 V10."

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/ferrari333-3.html

"Jointly developed with Dallara"

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/627/Ferrari-333-SP.html

Same thing is planned for the FiM MotoGP 2 class. Basically I like the current regulations for the engines, but still there is a lot too much work. For MotoGP2 the winning team is forced to sell its engine to the team wich is willing to buy it for at least 25.000€ (or so). This shall make the teams not to build too coasty engines and additionally getting every engine on the same level.
Quote from deggis :
For safety aspects yes, I doubt there is much influence for actual technical side of things. Except if they co-work with something, like they've apparently done with hybrid/KERS regulations.

ACO is the governing over the 24h and the LeMans Series / American LeMans Series. As far as I know they are listed on the FiA Carlendar. They are also responsible for the racing circuits in LeMans. The cooperation with the FiA i think is limited to the basics, like CIS (THE CODE) or Safety Standards, though FIA GT and FIA GT2 teams are invited to the 24hour Race. But sometimes the teams don't want to join the 24h of LeMans, because the technical regulations are quiet different and the rework on the car is too heavy.

On my mind the FIA should do it in an other way. They can share a standard engine to every team who 's interested in having it, even havin standard chassis. Other teams, who don't want to build their car on their own, can do so. The rulebook should limit these engines to an equal level, though having different weaknesses.
Forcing the manufactors to built their engines after the standart plan, will confront the FIA with having just some privateer teams plus the manufactor whose engine it is. First step would be abolishing this rule that one engine manufactor is only allowed to share the engine to 3 teams.

The problem of this whole plan is that the FIA is switching from black to white without grey. The have had a manufactor targetted Championship which never have done any good things to little privateer teams. It is a bit like liberalism. (Just like DTM which refused to allow a privateer team DTM Project using a Volvo, because it wasn't agreed with the Volvo) But now, with the plan of an standard engine they are changing to an privateer friendly series, as every car has the same engine and nearly the same chassis (well, atleast most of them are built @ LOLA)... The compromise allowing both, would be the best.

And having a US, a Canadian and a Mexican Grand Prix wouldn't be bad to have in addition
If all this is about cost cutting then I have a simple solution. Less rounds of the championship, there never used to be this many anyway.
Quote from TFalke55 :ACO is the governing over the 24h and the LeMans Series / American LeMans Series.

IMSA is for ALMS.

Quote :As far as I know they are listed on the FiA Carlendar. They are also responsible for the racing circuits in LeMans. The cooperation with the FiA i think is limited to the basics, like CIS (THE CODE) or Safety Standards

Exactly what I thought.

Quote :though FIA GT and FIA GT2 teams are invited to the 24hour Race. But sometimes the teams don't want to join the 24h of LeMans, because the technical regulations are quiet different and the rework on the car is too heavy.

Quite minimal differencies on weight and air restrictors. If you were referring to Maserati MC12, that still not complies with the original rules, FIA just changed them but ACO did not.
Quote from boosterfire :I must say that I'm getting bored of having a 4 to 8 player championship while there's 20 cars on the field. You could just get rid of everything except ferrari, renault, mclaren and bmw and it would be about the same thing. If everybody not only had the same engine, but the same car, F1 would be MUCH more interesting. Imagine having 20 cars all within 3 seconds or so.

The only place where that is possible is in T1,
or in a Pile up
Quote from Mustafur :Yes they used 97 spec renault engines but that was the only reason why they were competitive, they were using a car based on slicks for the grooved tire change in 98 the car was basically unchanged at all.

Didn't they switch over to the narrower cars in 98 as well? I seem to recall Williams doing extremely badly that season, too.
Quote from MAGGOT :Didn't they switch over to the narrower cars in 98 as well? I seem to recall Williams doing extremely badly that season, too.

98 they came 3rd which isn't that bad, but in 99 they were 5th.

They lacked soo much funding in those years they had barely any money to develop the car.
Well, people are all like: "Well, it's F1, it's got to be this way, it's the ultimate racing sport, ffs! It's normal that it's boring to watch and totally uncompetitive! Ultimate technology and drivers create races where the racers end the race at 30 seconds from one another, it's just normal!"

Unless there's rain. Rain is the answer. Think about it. When during the F1 season do you get an interesting starting grid? An interesting GP? When there's rain. Just a bit of water and BOOM you end up with a Force India getting the pole and square face to win a GP in his futuristic pile of 2005 technology! Let's just do all races back to back, all during the same period: the rain season in Bangladesh.

Rather more seriously, another alternative is either to make F1 more interesting, or watch NASCAR. I've just started watching NASCAR. Okay, the cars are not as impressive, and they don't turn right unless the race is over, but it's incredibly more interesting. Everything F1 does wrong, NASCAR does right. It's competitive, entertaining and more strategic. They end the race with like 20 drivers within 5 seconds, and even if they're not in the leader's lap they get to be seen on TV all the time, because it's an oval! Besides, that just creates more crashin opportunities, and crashing opportunities are fun opportunities!

Think about it, there's nothing in a race like a good crash - even in a F1 race. Crashes are not only plain interesting to watch, they also mess up the teams' strategies, which creates mayhem and ultimatly a more interesting race and result. When you think that in NASCAR they have to actually plan their race strategies assuming a certain number of crashes, or even hoping for a crash, you're in for a good race

Or you could just make F1 more competitive and fun to watch.
I do know I sound quite sarcastic, but I actually enjoy watching NASCAR much more than F1

Ferrari make F1 engine row threat
(75 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG