The online racing simulator
Quote from thisnameistaken :I don't really like the idea of fake veneer

I was talking about real veneer. A thin sheet of wood, one side coated with a meltable glue, the other side with a beautiful wooden grain. Not the plastic, photographed fake.
Quote :I was hoping for a sort-of Birch colour.

Then it's easy. Buy Birch plywood, and varnish with clear urethane lacquer. (Several layers, for a more durable surface. Birch itself is quite soft.) Birch plywood isn't cheap, but it's one of the more environmentally-friendly materials.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Dunno about you, but the wife used to get me with that one all the time. Whenever she wanted me to do something she'd always laugh and say, "Nah, you'll never be able to do that, you don't know the first thing about it" knowing full well i'd do whatever it was just to prove a point.

I've already got my revenge. It was easy and unexpected, and it went like this:

Kev: Maybe you've never seen me do it before, because I've never done it before, but how hard can it be to saw some wood?
Jane: Wood?
Kev: Er... What did you think speaker cabinets were made from?
Jane: (embarrassed) Felt?

Quote from wsinda :I was talking about real veneer. A thin sheet of wood, one side coated with a meltable glue, the other side with a beautiful wooden grain. Not the plastic, photographed fake.

Oh right. When you said you just iron it on I assumed the nasty fake stuff, I didn't know you could get glue-backed veneer sheets.

Quote from wsinda :Then it's easy. Buy Birch plywood, and varnish with clear urethane lacquer. (Several layers, for a more durable surface. Birch itself is quite soft.) Birch plywood isn't cheap, but it's one of the more environmentally-friendly materials.

Yeah that's sort-of what I was thinking of doing, but now I'm not sure if ply is a good idea. Especially if it splits easily, because I'm good at splitting wood easily.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I've already got my revenge. It was easy and unexpected, and it went like this:

Kev: Maybe you've never seen me do it before, because I've never done it before, but how hard can it be to saw some wood?
Jane: Wood?
Kev: Er... What did you think speaker cabinets were made from?
Jane: (embarrassed) Felt?

Lol, felt

Yunno what she's thinking, she'll have seen the front covering on a speaker and thought that's all there is to it, and not realised there's a big wooden box full of electrical stuff stuck to the back of it. Women, i used to think they did this sort of stuff to be all cutesy and alluring in a needing a man sort of way. But i'm coming to the conclusion they really are that stupid. Either that or they're all completely bonkers and really do come from another planet......Mazz runs off to get a flame suit and full body armour just in case Becky reads that bit.

Quote from thisnameistaken :but now I'm not sure if ply is a good idea. Especially if it splits easily, because I'm good at splitting wood easily.

It largely depends on how you'll be working it. If you'll be hammering nails or even putting screws into the side (i.e into the joints of each layer) of it, then yeah it'll most likely split. But it you're drilling into the face/front of it then it should be ok, but remember to use proper wood drill bits and set the drill to a low rpm otherwise you'll end up charring the wood around the hole. .

Although i've never used birch ply, most other plys can chip and fray at the edges sometimes when you're cutting it, especially if you're a bit cack handed. Although a decent wood saw and a guide block should minimise this.

But i'd say if you already have the plans for this thing, then just stick to them, even if it does recommend using ply.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Yunno what she's thinking, she'll have seen the front covering on a speaker and thought that's all there is to it

I'm guessing it's because all my previous (and current) speaker cabs have that felty carpet covering on them. Another reason I want to avoid that is because it's so good at retaining stale beer smells. And I don't want to stick Tolex on because I've never seen a Tolex-covered cab that didn't have at least one big ugly rip in it.

Quote from Mazz4200 :But i'd say if you already have the plans for this thing, then just stick to them, even if it does recommend using ply.

I just ordered the plans. I bet they insist on particle board.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Inow I'm not sure if ply is a good idea. Especially if it splits easily, because I'm good at splitting wood easily.

Then use chipboard or MDF: it crumbles rather than splits.

In any case, massive wood won't do. The grain in the wood causes resonance. (The more regular the structure of the material is, the more resonance you get.)

A couple of things you can do against splitting:
  • Use thicker plywood, 18mm or more.
  • Use sharp tools, and a fine-toothed saw. You can buy special saw blades that make a clean cut.
  • Another trick is to stick masking tape along the line where you're going to cut. (You can draw the line on the tape with a pencil.)
  • Pre-drill holes for screws. Use wood drills, which have a center point. The all-purpose HSS drills often make a mess.
  • Use thin screws in combination with glue. PUR construction glue is great for this. It expands as it hardens, which also prevents air leaks.
Wsinda sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

But i will add, if you do use particle board then you must, MUST get a good quality face/dust mask. Especially if you'll be using MDF, as it's got lots and lots of very nasty stuff in there that you really don't wanna be breathing into your lungs.
I'm a smoker, my lungs aren't my greatest asset anyway.

Nah I know MDF's dangerous, I'll be sensible.
Ha!

Just got the plans and it calls for 1/2" plywood, either spruce, pine or birch. I'm a natural!
I'm great with my wood... :hide:
Quote from thisnameistaken :Just got the plans and it calls for 1/2" plywood, either spruce, pine or birch. I'm a natural!

Lol, i might have guessed

Best of luck with it if you do decide to build it. And if you do lets see a few pics so we can have a good laugh, erm so we can congratulate you on all your endeavours.
Quote from Mazz4200 :There's such a great sense of personal satisfaction when you 'get your hands dirty' and make something that you can actually see and touch, something that's real, something that you can keep and cherish, as opposed to all that website stuff you do which is all electronic 1's and 0's, and is all for someone else. It's especially satisfying when you really put your mind to it and do the best job you can, you'll treasure it far longer than anything you'd buy from a shop.

I've been toying with the idea of making an electric guitar... or a bass. I don't play either, and will most likely never actually learn, but it'd be fun to do. I've also been toying with the idea of making myself a new corner desk.. a really big one. A space for my desktop PC, three monitors (in the corner part of it), keyboard, steering wheel/shifter, a space for my laptop on one side of it, and another spot with a lightbox (which can either be rotated like a drafting board or just be on an angle) for doing my automotive drawing overlays... Big job :P Can't be any worse than the POS from Wal-Mart I'm using right now.

Quote from Mazz4200 :Come to think of it, that's how i ended up marrying her....

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....

Take lots of pics Kev! I wanna see how this turns out. I quite like the idea come up with earlier, though - slot them into a secondary cabinet in the livingroom that's all finished up nicely. Gives you some new options.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG