The online racing simulator
Real Adverts
(43 posts, started )
#26 - Migz
So if your thinking that we're going to have to pay for the devs to get money out of these ads, how exactly do you think they can work out that we bought anything?

Iirc the banners in game dont open up a website when i click on them.

Therefore that wont happen.
And why are we thinking this is all about sales?
Perhaps a company wants to promote their website a bit more?
There not making any extra monies there. They can indeed check to see if they are getting any more visitors, and they probably will be.
Man the only reason people invest in advertising is to make money. You would be a pretty big idiot if you were a business paying someone to let you advertise on something if you did not have an intention that either people were going to see your product and if they do see it then you would hope they might go and investigate it and eventually purchase it

Why do you want more ads. You get enough from the internet, tv, radio, billboards, busses, buildings, trains, newspapers, magazines, random people in the street, junk post, e-mail, by the roadside etc.

The only reason I dont mind real world ish ads in game is because in racing most of the ads are from companies who are sponsoring the event or cars & in doing so getting their product regonised but also helping fund race teams and media coverage which is a small price to pay for some good racing. Unless they intend to pay me to race in lfs. Then I aint with you.

If the devs were making lfs to make a tunn of money then I think they would probably have made lfs more arcadey so it appeals to a lot more people (gran turismo anyone?) & eliminate Demo & charge a higher flat fee.

& fyi here is again 'let the devs put it up' it would really have to be worth their time to put something up and have some kind of automation with say... 'sony' who can change the ads them selves. Remember this is only a 3 man team. The only good way from a marketing standpoint is to have some ad aware that feeds you targeted ads. These are horrid but good business sense & this type of thing is only going to become more in the future in games as technology changes and becomes more sophisticated and as more and more people play games via the internet.

It's not a bad idea having ads in game if your a nasty little marketing man. Perhaps you should research how it would work in a cost effective, time efficient way and then present it to the lfs team.
Quote from Migz :how exactly do you think they can work out that we bought anything?

It could be done if they got your IP address from the LFS servers, so they know you raced there. And if it can't be done (or Scavier won't supply the data) then they will deem it too risky to advertise. They'll stick with Adwords or whatever, and the billboards in South City will remain empty.
Folks.... is the "Improvement Suggestions" forum the place to talk about business strategies, to suggest the devs how to run their business?

It's always been 'funny' how some people in this forum's threads seem to know what the devs want and don't want in their game.

But now it's more and more getting crazy: some people even know what's good for the devs. What about telling them to excercise, stop drinking and smoking or something like that? Oh no, wait... don't tell them directly. Make a new thread where the 'community' can discuss about it first. And then the secular rulers can tell us about the Holy Trinity's view on the subject.

Quote from jaykay3000 :
It's not a bad idea having ads in game if your a nasty little marketing man. Perhaps you should research how it would work in a cost effective, time efficient way and then present it to the lfs team.

+1 ... present it DIRECTLY to the lfs team.

Quote from wsinda :It could be done if they got your IP address from the LFS servers, so they know you raced there.

Are you asked your IP when you go shopping in a local store?
There's a life outside the internet, you know.
Quote from wsinda :To cut it short, the racers spend extra money buying stuff, and a fraction of that money ends up in the devs' pockets. My point is that I'd rather donate it directly to them. And it doesn't really matter what the ads are about.

I don't know about you, but when I see an ad and buy something, I buy it because I want to use the product or service advertised, not because of any philanthropist ideals towards the people who put up the ad.
Quote from Crashgate3 :when I see an ad and buy something, I buy it because I want to use the product or service advertised

And what made you want it, do you think?
Quote from wsinda :And what made you want it, do you think?

Hey, I'll join in again, because it's not so much about this "improvement suggestion" but more on common sense.

Wsind, there ARE people (and I think for example myself and probably crashgate 3 belong to these) who aren't manipulable to any degree. So this means, if I don't NEED a certain kind of product (i.e. before I ever saw/heard its advertising), I won't buy it... no matter what the advertising is like. BUT we might get a little 'help' from it, when we have to decide among different brands.

Advertising MIGHT say "you need a razor" and maybe some stupid beardless kids will therefore buy it, but more often advertising says "IF you need a razor, you should buy ours."

So what's the advantage of buying a product that has been advertised rather than giving money to the devs?

When I buy the product, I HAVE the product and I can use it. It has an equivalent value to the money I spent - in most cases.

Giving money to the devs is a bit like donating to a patron saint... you never really know if there's any benefit for you.

(damn, here I go again. referring to religion a second time... there must be a reason )
This argument makes no sense.

Of course people are motivated by advertising, it's why advertising exists. Advertising isn't about what you NEED, it's about making you WANT something. Look at most TV ads, for example: chocolate, video game consoles, cars - you NEED any of them? No, of course not. But if someone who has some spare cash sees them, they might decide to get one of them. And that's the point.

As for using ads instead of giving the money to the devs? Scawen has a supply of, for example, tyres and petrol? Because those are the kind of adverts I'd expect to see beside a race track or in a video game, and that's what we have already. Do the developers have a big warehouse full of new shock absorbers that we don't know about?

No, it's a completely different item but the same potential market. Marketing 101.

You assume from the type of program LFS is (a fairly realistic racing simulation that benefits from more dedicated equipment) that the people who use it will also be interested in real vehicles. You advertise other vehicle-related stuff. No point advertising something like livestock because the odds of the crossover are fairly small.

Vehicles, vehicle parts, even things like energy drinks and racing gear are all viable market-related items that could very easily be stuck in without removing anything from the sim.

Of course the question of whether it would be worth the costs involved is an entirely different matter...
Quote from Dajmin :chocolate, video game consoles, cars - you NEED any of them? No, of course not.

you really don't need food, entertainment and mobility? ok.
#35 - Migz
Well the only things we need are food and drink. We dont need anything else, but we still have it anyways.
Quote from Migz :Well the only things we need are food and drink. We dont need anything else, but we still have it anyways.

actually no. but considering that you've probably never learned anything about marketing, economy and/or psychology or such like, this whole thread is something that doesn't really belong here anyway and the backgrounds of the LFS drivers are VERY diverse, I'll just do what I should've done after my first post: shut up and let the 'experts' talk.
#37 - Migz
Acctually yes....
Human life only needs food and drink.
we dont need cars, we dont need clothes, we dont need tv, we dont need ipods, we dont need shelter, we dont need watches, we dont need phones, we dont need computers, we dont need paper, we dont need toilets, we dont need baths, we dont need playstations, we dont need xbox's ect ect. The list goes on.

The only things that a person defintly needs, is food and drink. Theres nothing wrong about that.
#39 - Migz
Godamnit, fine, humans only need all those things, We dont need anything else besides those things. And thats pretty much everything we dont need, so yes we dont need ads, but we dont need everything else (not on that list) in the world. Which is pretty much everything.
Quote from Migz :Godamnit, fine, humans only need all those things, We dont need anything else besides those things. And thats pretty much everything we dont need, so yes we dont need ads, but we dont need everything else (not on that list) in the world. Which is pretty much everything.

Whel i just dont like ads of comanies we dont vene have here in holland

Im just not vary comfy with the idea of beigh thrown to deat with like sportlife ads
#42 - Gunn
There is one thing that humans absolutely do not need at all, ever.....and that's advertising.
Quote from Gunn :There is one thing that humans absolutely do not need at all, ever.....and that's advertising.

I am not so sure about that. Without advertising you won't be able to hear if some new products that might be useful for you will be on the market.

Advertising is a way to get the information to the customer. Then if he is unable to resist his need to consume, then he must be shot down.

Real Adverts
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG