The online racing simulator
Hamilton Replica Helmet
(110 posts, started )
I thought it was illegal to have a bike that does over 30mph when you're running on L plates?
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I thought it was illegal to have a bike that does over 30mph when you're running on L plates?

It is, did I say I will, I just said I heard they run better derestricted.
#28 - Jakg
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Well you can hardly rag something which is limited to 30mph.

I don't know anyone with a 50cc bike which still has theirs restricted
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I thought it was illegal to have a bike that does over 30mph when you're running on L plates?

It is, but I don't know anyone who's been stopped (inc me)

They will do 50 - 60 when de-restricted...

Unless you have a very very good job I would get a nice cheap (i.e. £100 - £150) helmet and save the rest for a better PC / Phone / Clothes / Beer / Jacket / Repairs etc...
Quote from Jakg :I don't know anyone with a 50cc bike which still has theirs restrictedIt is, but I don't know anyone who's been stopped (inc me)

Unless you have a very very good job I would get a nice cheap (i.e. £100 - £150) helmet and save the rest for a better PC / Phone / Clothes / Beer / Jacket / Repairs etc...

Well I dont need to save up for a phone as I am on contract and have a K850i until next year anyway, pc is okish just need a few upgrades. I will mainly save up money for my car and parts for the car.

The helmet was just an idea and me to thought it wouldn't look a little weird but couldn't work out if it would or wouldn't, I know it would look weird now. I am most likely going to buy a shoei helmet anyway.
Quote from Jakg :I don't know anyone with a 50cc bike which still has theirs restrictedIt is, but I don't know anyone who's been stopped (inc me)

My friend got stopped when he was 16, but he was doing 70mph and did a little bit more than just de-restricting the bike.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :My friend got stopped when he was 16, but he was doing 70mph and did a little bit more than just de-restricting the bike.

What on the streets or on a parkway/dual carriage way? If you are careful you wont get stopped.
Quote from sam93 :I dont know if you had a 50 before the 125 but if you did was it restricted? I very much doubt it. I have heard the RS50 run better when they are derestricted.

At 16 you can ride a scooter or bike up to 50cc and restricted to 30mph, ad 17 that becomes up to 125cc with up to 13bhp.

It's much easier to get away with riding derestricted on a 125 because you don't have to stick to 30mph.

(I went straight to the 125, I'm over 6ft xD)

They do run better, but it's also VERY illegal.

(I can't talk, I'm riding a derestricted RS125 on L plates)
i.e illegal as in them seizing your bike (if the engine hasn't seized before then hehe) and you'll have no comeback.
#35 - Jakg
At the end of the day I highly doubt that Sam will keep his restricted.

To give you an idea of how incompetant the police are - my friend was drunk driving (or should I say ex-friend after this!) and crashed (on his own) on a roundabout. Not only did the police not check if it was restricted, but they also lost the blood-test and so couldn't even prove he was drunk at the time...
No offence, but why would you want a replica helmet for the road? I would actually class myself as a plonker if i did that
Quote from S14 DRIFT :You're a numpty. You don't have oil to change, apart from gearbox oil.

I suppose it doesn't count as changing, but arn't the RS50's are two strokes...?

One of my mates used to have an RS50, only de restricted and it would sit at 60mph flat out.

I don't think the police really care about the de restricted mopeds, from what I expereinced on my scooter when it could do 50mph on a flat it was far safer than when it could only do 38 or something like that after a new engine. Silly idiots putting you at risk by trying to overtake in stupid places...
Yes, they are two strokes. D:
#39 - Osco
so you don't change oil, you top it up because it burns oil

numpty anyone?
Yes, you don't have oil to change. "Change" means 'drain and re-fill'.

Drain an oil tank on a 2T bike and it will end up sucking air which will lodge itself in the oil system and will seize the engine. I have an RS and never once have I 'changed' the oil. Merely top up the tank.
#41 - Osco
it wasn't a question..
I am not going to get a restricted bike. Fully derestricted RS50 with a full Arrow exhaust system as it sounds a little better but doesn't really make much difference in performance. I meant top up the oil, I wouldn't drain it out of a 2 stroke bike. How much do you want to bet that the engine wont seize? If any think does start to go wrong I will fix it asap.
I'll bet £50 the engine will sieze at one point or another.

I'm not exactly sure about the RS50, but the 125 requires a new piston at 4950miles, and a new barrel and piston at a little under 10k. (Normally if an engine siezes because of oil starvation or a piston just lets go, the barrel will often need to be replaced. This would cost around £550 to get sorted at a main dealer (not necciccerly (spelling)) an Aprilia one (I'd sugest talking to the chaps at PJE, a place which specializes in 2T engines,) stock many parts and have very good press on the various owners forums. Considering it shares the same engine with the Derbi GPR50, having a very quick glance at a forum pertaining to those, reliabilty seems iffy.

Sounds exactly like a chainsaw

I shouldn't be one to lecture, since I myself am riding around on a desrestriced 125, but what you're doing is much basically saying f*ck you to the entire age restricted thing.

Get caught above 30mph and the police have the immediate right to take your bike there and then to a testing facility, where upon at which time if they find your bike is not restriced, they would most likely seize it, if you're lucky they would just make you restrict it and take it back for a retest in a few days time. Get caught a second time and it's bye bye baby.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I'll bet £50 the engine will sieze at one point or another.

I'm not exactly sure about the RS50, but the 125 requires a new piston at 4950miles, and a new barrel and piston at a little under 10k. (Normally if an engine siezes because of oil starvation or a piston just lets go, the barrel will often need to be replaced. This would cost around £550 to get sorted at a main dealer (not necciccerly (spelling)) an Aprilia one (I'd sugest talking to the chaps at PJE, a place which specializes in 2T engines,) stock many parts and have very good press on the various owners forums. Considering it shares the same engine with the Derbi GPR50, having a very quick glance at a forum pertaining to those, reliabilty seems iffy.

Sounds exactly like a chainsaw

I shouldn't be one to lecture, since I myself am riding around on a desrestriced 125, but what you're doing is much basically saying f*ck you to the entire age restricted thing.

Get caught above 30mph and the police have the immediate right to take your bike there and then to a testing facility, where upon at which time if they find your bike is not restriced, they would most likely seize it, if you're lucky they would just make you restrict it and take it back for a retest in a few days time. Get caught a second time and it's bye bye baby.

It doesn't take much to restrict one anyway. Some people get lucky with RS50's and it dont blow up, my Dad's mate is good with bike engines so he will help me out My Dad isn't good with bike engines like that because he has never been intrested in them.

I think they sound better with a Arrow exhaust on them, dont like 50's with factory exhaust, they just dont sound right, especially scooters.
Dont like the noise this one is producing, sounds horrible, I bet his bike wont last http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v= ... YLhLs&feature=related
#45 - Jakg
£550 to change a piston / barrel is a rip-off though - my piston seized (oil pump died, engine starved of oil, piston melted) and scored the barrel, so i needed to replace both - for the DNA that was about £100, and fitting it isn't exactly impossible for someone like me who barely knows one end of a spanner from another...
Well, Jack that was a rough estimate. Including quality Mikita Barrel/Piston and then bunging a PROX or WISECO piston on there takes the barrel/piston (+ better piston) to around £220 for a 50 (I think??). Fitting for a competent mechanic probbably takes around 2 1/2 hours from start to finish so yeah..

Here you go, Sam. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... _qqpE&feature=related
#47 - Jakg
I'll admit I have no idea how much it is for a RS50, but as I said an Athena piston / Barrel was £117, whereas the original Gilera part was £100 - can't see your stuff really being triple the price.

I hate to break it to you but if your under 20 you most likely have a dead end job and can't afford £200's worth of labour (thats £75 short of a months wages for me) and so will just have to do it your sodding self - it took me more than 2 hours, but definately didn't take £200 at what I usually earn...
True, but I'd rather spend a few hundred quid, and then if it f*cks up, they will (by law) have to fix it.

Changing a piston and barrel in itself isn't actually that hard, but if you do fk up putting the rings on propperly they can chew the barrel and break it.
I think I will go for giannelli exhaust, sounds the best. I will do all my own work, buy the parts and fit them, my Dad will most likely do it for me though as he doesn't want me to mess with it but I will do all the work when I am able to drive a car.
#50 - Jakg
Quote from S14 DRIFT :True, but I'd rather spend a few hundred quid, and then if it f*cks up, they will (by law) have to fix it.

Changing a piston and barrel in itself isn't actually that hard, but if you do fk up putting the rings on propperly they can chew the barrel and break it.

It's great that you have £200 handy to waste (in effect).

Why don't you just buy the bike new?

I cannot afford to "waste" £200 on something I can do myself, so i will have to take that risk...

Hamilton Replica Helmet
(110 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG