The online racing simulator
Flatshifting..The good,the bad and the ugly
Ok so ive played around with lfs for quite a while in the XFG unlike the FBM u can choose to either flatshift or lift off and shift now i want to know what are the benefits of flat shifting compared to lifting off and shifting in the XFG.

Thanks

paul
You are slightly faster accelerating, but only 1 or 2 mph over the course of a long straight, but it can screw your clutch.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :but it can screw your clutch.

In the demo cars, this will only happen in very long races, though.
Flat shifting = you're not lifting the throttle during a shift = you're longer on the throttle during acceleration = slightly faster acceleration.

However, there are also negative points:
  • the clutch gets less effective and dies after prolonged use of this technique
  • the driven wheels get a quick jolt every time you do this, which might not be the best idea regarding cornering stability (though it has to be said, the demo cars are generally not powerful enough to get you in big trouble)
Please note that shifting in the FBM and shifting in XFG/XRG are not comparable at all, since you're not supposed to use the clutch in the FBM besides when taking off. If you do use the clutch, you can shift/flatshift it exactly like other cars.
Quote from zeugnimod :In the demo cars, this will only happen in very long races, though.

Can get my clutch in the red in 1 lap on a longer track such as FE_Gold if I flatshift everywhere in the XFG.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Can get my clutch in the red in 1 lap on a longer track such as FE_Gold if I flatshift everywhere in the XFG.

I flatshifted all through a 26 lap race on SO Town and the clutch only got red in the last few laps.
Quote from zeugnimod :

I flatshifted all through a 26 lap race on SO Town and the clutch only got red in the last few laps.

I think maybe he's trying to do a full bore standing start from 5th gear.
After one lap? I have to see this. Your shifting technique must suck in ways never seen before. Not even autoclutch does this, though maybe you can somehow achieve it by using the button clutch on the lowest button rate.

Seriously, the clutch heating does a rather bad job at preventing flat shifting. In a typical road race clutch heat is no factor at all, unless you do it to the extreme like zeug described.
Got to have some very strange gear ratios to burn the clutch on an XFG in one lap.
LFS Beginner's Cup
Blackwood Rallyx Rev
25 laps
XFG
In 3rd position
Flatshifting
4 or 5 laps remaining
Clutch burnt

Where did I finish? 10th, +4 laps. I think this is going to stop me flatshifting.

Just a warning!
RallyX is a completely different beast, because the clutch is subjected to extra stress by the jumps. What you'd have to do is to lift off while you're airborne, to make sure the clutch doesn't die when you ram back into the ground with fast spinning wheels that suddenly have grip again. The flat shifting itself should actually be less of a problem, since the traction is all around lower compared to a road race, which means you'll actually spin the tyres more than slipping the clutch.
I did actually lift off during jumps - especially the last one!
In 'my' LFS (), the XFG is very sensitive too. A few laps in South City should be enough to make it slip completely. XRG is a bit tougher. But with both, I therefore only flatshift occasionally.
With the turbos (XRT at least), I usually flatshift for one lap, then shift 'regularly' for the next lap to cool it, and so on. I think with the TBOs the advantage is bigger as you maintain the pressure.
Quote from AndroidXP :After one lap? I have to see this. Your shifting technique must suck in ways never seen before. Not even autoclutch does this, though maybe you can somehow achieve it by using the button clutch on the lowest button rate.

Seriously, the clutch heating does a rather bad job at preventing flat shifting. In a typical road race clutch heat is no factor at all, unless you do it to the extreme like zeug described.

No, my technique doesn't 'suck', and I've been accused on several occasions on using the gearshift macro, even though I'm using full manual clutch (pedal I may add) and h-shifter on my G25

Maybe it's my ratios, which are kinda long, although not extreme (2nd goes to around 65, 3rd to just under 90 etc etc)

Most clutch heating occurs when you're doing sumo with other cars. ()
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Most clutch heating occurs when you're doing sumo with other cars. ()

Ahhh... that's what you call bumping my ass like 5 times in a row after that race recently. I just call this gay behavior.
Well I'm attracted to ass to obviously.

Sorry, btw xD
"Bandit" talking about "ass", lol.
LoL
thanks guys this is really helpful. So to sum things up flatshifting doesnt really get u to the better edge by a lot. LoL my car always jerks when i shift with autoclutch esp. going down the gears
never had that problem. Maybe your shifting down at too high a speed for gear your in or holding the throttle open while downshifting.
can you explain in simplier terms "holding the throttle open"? whats that?
Means keep the pedal closer to the metal. Or just keeping the gas pedal pressed down while downshifting. You want to blip the throttle just to bring up the RPMs, not jam it down there so that it bounces off the redline a lot.
I wouldn't really flatshift but I would lift the throttle to about halfway or less or twitch my leg up and back down again very quickly to shift fast.
I tend to flat shift from start line to T1, its only a minor advantage to flat shift but ever little counts. After that I usually shift properly and have no trouble with the clutch. Though from what I remember from driving the XRR a long time ago its nigh on impossible to get the clutch hot without doing stupid things.
Quote from zeugnimod :

It really depends on the car. I find the xrg to be fine flat shifting, the lx6 gets red quick (i used sequential paddles).
I flat shift most sprint races in the XFG/XRG and have no issues with clutch heat at all. I can't understand how/why people have these issues.
Just like Greboth I do flatshift at the start to get that minor advantage but after T1 is go the the normal way of shifting. Once you used to it flat shifting feels a bit akward.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG