The online racing simulator
Any way to make FOV more than 120 for 2 or 3 monitors
Hi.

Im currently experimenting with 2 monitors in LFS. Yes its useless because the gap between the monitors is in the middle but I still think its cool to play around with. Anyway, I was wondering if you can force LFS to have an FOV higher than 120 by editing a text file somewhere ( or any other way).

I think that with 2 monitors 120 FOV isnt enough, anything I can do?

Thanks

Dave.
I've long since felt that games should make use of a second monitor to show extra information, in the case of LFS something like LFSspectator for instance, or maybe having the F9 to F12 guages all onscreen at once.

Anyway i've had a look and see no way to edit the FOV above 120, the only option I can think of is hex editing the .exe
Something you may not know (I didn't) - if you change the resolution to give a different aspect ratio then the relative FOV will be a different amount.

Some bright spark from this community gave me the math equation for converting from one to another. Here it is:

(atan(tan((FOV * PI) / (180 * 2)) * ((16 / 9) / (4 / 3))) * 2 * 180) / PI

Enter this into a normal Google search field, change the "FOV" to the 4:3 FOV you are using, press enter and Google will tell you the FOV you need for 16:9 aspect ratio in this example.

If you're using two 4/3 monitors and corresponding resolutions (eg 1024/768) then the 16/9 should be changed to 2.67/1.

So if you normally use 67 degrees, this would give 106. This does mean that with an LFS max of 120 you can only get the equivalent of 81 fov.
thanks for the mathsy stuff! I dont really understand that equation and Im only playing around, but 2 or 3 (with that new matrox thing) monitors really does look cool. I think its the way forward - except the gap comes in the middle of the screen with 2 monitors.

The reason I ask for more FOV, incase scawen is reading, is that as the mathsy stuff says you can only get 81 degrees. This is obvious in game because with two monitors and 120 FOV I get less vertical FOV than with one monitor and 90 FOV. This makes everything look a bit "zoomed in" to me. I dont really like that.

Anyway, with 3 monitor setups about to become more common I think maybe its time we were allowed 140/150 FOV now. What you think?
I dunno, I use a FOV of 75 with 1 monitor, I really want to use less but I'd be missing important information (I mean 40 looks great but I can't see enough of what's going on around me). Even if I had 3 monitors running from one PC I can't see myself using over 100 (well, unless they were all HUGE).
Quote from Becky Rose :I've long since felt that games should make use of a second monitor to show extra information, in the case of LFS something like LFSspectator for instance, or maybe having the F9 to F12 guages all onscreen at once.

Anyway i've had a look and see no way to edit the FOV above 120, the only option I can think of is hex editing the .exe

This is something many of us do in the flightsim world, you can "undock" various panels and gauges i.e. GPS, to a 2nd screen, could be quite a usefull idea for LFS too maybe.

Dan,
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG