The online racing simulator
harder ai
(23 posts, started )
harder ai
Now I know people are going to say, "The game is made for multiplayer." But seriously...Whenever my internet goes down, it's nice to race with the ai. But either i'am too good or their too bad. (yes i have it on pro) I think we should be able to change the line that they follow on the track. But i just think the devs should make the ai's a little more harder.
id like more noobish ai and them real hard ai. and then gt4 ai :P
What I do is add some air intake restriction to the car to even things up, but even then it is not so good unfortunately mate Not a lot else you can do except try GTR evo tha AI in that are great to race against, the best I've seen so far in any sim.
Go for LX4, LX6 pro AIs, start from the back of the grid and report back - still an easy win?
I can only get to midfield on WE, these suckers do never make enough mistakes.
#5 - Gunn
Quote from krugmander :Now I know people are going to say, "The game is made for multiplayer." But seriously...Whenever my internet goes down, it's nice to race with the ai. But either i'am too good or their too bad. (yes i have it on pro) I think we should be able to change the line that they follow on the track. But i just think the devs should make the ai's a little more harder.

The Ai should improve with experience, how long have you allowed them to race on a particular track? Let them practice for a while on a good setup and then race them again.

The Ai feature is still being developed, so perhaps in future they will become more of a challenge.
Gunn - they do no more improve it seems, no more .knw files in the data folder...
No point in letting them practice anymore
#7 - Gunn
Quote from Mille Sabords :Gunn - they do no more improve it seems, no more .knw files in the data folder...
No point in letting them practice anymore

Maybe that's right, I haven't used them for quite some time.
Quote from Gunn :The Ai should improve with experience, how long have you allowed them to race on a particular track? Let them practice for a while on a good setup and then race them again.

The Ai feature is still being developed, so perhaps in future they will become more of a challenge.

i just race them on oval only but i race them with different cars like fz50 because they wreck more, fo8 because its fun and bf1 well because its just hella fast
Everything correct up to the "oval" bit.

AIs don't draft properly and have a tendency to crash during high speed overtaking attempts (wild steering inputs), so either they swerve wildly or brake on the straight causing chain collisions.
Try them on non oval tracks, they are much more interesting.
i just like the epic fail the ai's get....but still....if i put them on a not epic fail car i just end up zooming right past them...even when iam in the back...the other thing the devs should put in is rolling start
The AI reside in the settings folder now.
yep, harder (and not wrecking) ai´s would be very nice... for example on bl1 with fbm im 4 seks faster per lap (at pro) o.O

Edit: 100th post =)
Gp2 (didnt play 3 or 4) had awesome AI, its still great to todays standards, they raced you, avoided impact, you could even force them off their line and they use all track only backing off RIGHT before almost going off and only a little aswell so they could stay on you and get back in slipstream. Its abandonware now have a look.

Bewilders me how bad GT series AI is LFS is better, and its a multiplay game, even in demo (differance). GTR is prob best of current games but they back off to much when theres an incident ahead.
On the Oval, the AI isn't too good because they break on every turn (they don't have to), that's why you're so much faster. Try racing the pro AI on normal tracks, they're pretty challenging.
Quote from Ilpav :On the Oval, the AI isn't too good because they break on every turn (they don't have to), that's why you're so much faster. Try racing the pro AI on normal tracks, they're pretty challenging.

I'll say.

If I ever had to gripe about AI it would be the Oval AI. When I'm too drunk to race anything other than a left turn and offline where I won't anger anyone, I race the Kyoto Ring.

I would love to see the AI in a BF1 on the ring actuallyy pass another AI. Of course that's just minor request because I'm sure the code to make an AI draft and pass you is WAY more complicated.
Quote from Scawen :Yes they need work. It's very difficult for me to write computer programs that can drive as fast as you. What you see now is the result of a couple of months of making them drive as fast as I could achieve in that time.
[snip]

If a sim has competitive AI it's generally because the AI cars get an unfair advantage (e.g. more grip), to compensate for imperfect driving skills. In LFS the AI have exactly the same car as you.

As mentioned earlier, you can give yourself a handicap (intake air restriction, extra weight, passengers). The nice thing is that you can increase your handicap as your skills improve.

At PRO level the AI manage fairly good laptimes. But they could be improved: they should follow their line less strictly, and they must not push you off track.
the devs should make it where you can "bend" the racing line so they can race say the tunnel layout(s) without epic fail
I agree that teaching them some racing manners wouldn't hurt, but Scawen has just used numerous hours to improve the AI. I think and really HOPE that it won't be touched in another few years.
I think it is a pretty interesting challenge to program racing AIs that behave and make good times using the same game physics as us (no dirty trick here!), so Scawen might be pulled into trying again soon - After all LFS not only here for our fun but also for his and the rest of the dev team
I think the AI is enough challenging on pro i cant win them if i start from the back and they ram you always altrough that could be fixed.
I think it's very hard to improve the AI so it will cut some corners a bit, slide the car exactly like pro's can. they should be able to calculate what is the best way to drive the track if they consider tyre wear and hotlapping. (not mixing well)

But I do agree that the AI may be a bit more agressive in corners and such, but it will never be a human.
#23 - TG44
Quote from BlakjeKaas :but it will never be a human.

which is exactly why lfs is an online racing simulator

harder ai
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG