The online racing simulator
Camera help please!! Settings and so on...
(23 posts, started )
Hi everyone how are we all today?

I would like to ask for some help regarding settings for camera and lenses for certain pictures.
I have a Nikon D50 and would like to know some settings for moving objects i am trying to take photos of (my choc lab puppy).
I have tryed taking some photos and everything comes out sharp except the dog . Could anyone help with either some tips here or maybe a few websites with info about diffrent photo situations that may help me or shed some light on how to work this dam thing.

Thanks in advance

Billeh
Show us some example pics - then we can help you a lot easier.
The landscape one is good - I can see the problem with the dogs.

You were using 1/80 for the first and 1/50 for the second. You need to be using around 1/200 or higher to freeze action.

Set your camera to sports mode on the mode dial and it should sort that out until you want to learn how to use aperture and shutter speed.
Quote from mcintyrej :The landscape one is good - I can see the problem with the dogs.

You were using 1/80 for the first and 1/50 for the second. You need to be using around 1/200 or higher to freeze action.

Set your camera to sports mode on the mode dial and it should sort that out until you want to learn how to use aperture and shutter speed.

The 2 dog ones where taken on Auto i think i have also tryed the sports setting and i still get blurring?? maybe i was a bit shakey with the camera though.

Dont suppose you have any good website for noobs like myself?
Quote from Billeh :The 2 dog ones where taken on Auto i think i have also tryed the sports setting and i still get blurring?? maybe i was a bit shakey with the camera though.

Dont suppose you have any good website for noobs like myself?

Its not you shaking its your using a slow shutter speed so the dogs move slighty while the camera is recording the image.

Try setting your mode dial to TV or something like that, it stands for Time Value. Maybe SP for Shutter Priority - i'm not sure about Nikon's.

Then set the number to around 200 or anything above and see if the image looks okay. If it looks too dark then change your ISO setting (will be in the menus) to something higher like 400 or 800. Hope this helps, you also have a PM.
Thanks loads Mcintyrej I have been messing about with some of those setting befor and sort of understand . I have the User manual and will read up on them . Thanks for the info and pm will check that out soon and probably register .

Can you shed some info on all this HDR stuff and also how to take pics like this http://www.freefoto.com/images ... ---Traffic-Lights_web.jpg please .
I know it may be jumping the gun a little but i am keen to learn as i think i may treat myself to a DSLR soon
Hello fellow D50 User.

The Sports mode should be sufficent for Dogs, People etc. I even did some car racing Pictures in sports mode.
Hold the Shutter button halfway down while the object you want to photograph is coming towards you and just press it all the way down to take the pic.
Quote from mcintyrej :You said you have a Nikon D50? That is a DSLR isn't it?

Here's the tutorial I made a while ago on HDR:

http://fc80.deviantart.com/fs1 ... orial_by_JackMcIntyre.jpg

LOL yes it is a DSLR but its not mine its my Friends camera the "friend" who wants me to take pictures at his wedding!!!.

I have just done my first hdr image useing photomatix with a guide i found googling it sucked . Will check your guide out aswell . The main thing is i am having fun pissing about with it

Highsider Hi!!! Will be trying the sports mode tomorrow after work i am sure it will be fine then i will fiddle more with "S" mode and settings
#11 - SamH
Learning to pan is essential. It's an imperative, actually, but much cheaper to learn these days thanks to the advent of digital!

It might be a good idea to set up a pendulum of some sort and practice trying to freeze motion that way. Sports photographers are brilliant at this, but it does take quite a bit of learning. Also, I'm not sure if the D50 has a built-in fill-flash, but if it has you might be able to improve action freezes by using that and stopping down the aperture a little for close-up things like dogs. It can also really add depth to a photo outdoors that way.

I'm very unfamiliar with the D50 actually. What's its ISO range? My D1x only has ISO125-800, which is a tad limited really. I can boost it to 1600 but that is one hell of a faff through the custom settings menu. If you push your ISO up, you'll be able to take photos with a faster shutter and freeze more action in worse lighting.
Quote from SamH :Learning to pan is essential. It's an imperative, actually, but much cheaper to learn these days thanks to the advent of digital!

It might be a good idea to set up a pendulum of some sort and practice trying to freeze motion that way. Sports photographers are brilliant at this, but it does take quite a bit of learning. Also, I'm not sure if the D50 has a built-in fill-flash, but if it has you might be able to improve action freezes by using that and stopping down the aperture a little for close-up things like dogs. It can also really add depth to a photo outdoors that way.

I'm very unfamiliar with the D50 actually. What's its ISO range? My D1x only has ISO125-800, which is a tad limited really. I can boost it to 1600 but that is one hell of a faff through the custom settings menu. If you push your ISO up, you'll be able to take photos with a faster shutter and freeze more action in worse lighting.

Thanks for the info ISO range is 200 to 1600.]

Like i said befor i am just starting to pick this up still reading threw the manual and stuff but i am learning all the time .
#13 - Don
Quote from Billeh :LOL yes it is a DSLR but its not mine its my Friends camera the "friend" who wants me to take pictures at his wedding!!!.

shooting wedding for friends is very tricky - i wouldnt dare to do it if i knew there would be no other "main" photographer - as im not a professional, they really shouldnt rely on my photos - and they should pay someone whose job it is - and in case some of my photos turn out to be good, they can only be happy - if my photos turn out to be crap, no worries, they still have the ones from the pro.

here are some articles about shooting weddings:
http://digital-photography-sch ... or-wedding-photographers/
Quote from Billeh :LOL yes it is a DSLR but its not mine its my Friends camera the "friend" who wants me to take pictures at his wedding!!!

:o

As Don says, don't even think about doing it unless there's a pro there who they're paying to get the "keepers".
Thanks Don and Strobe, i have spoken to him about this and he has told me not to worrie its a small afair that will be taking place outdoors with a small selection of family and friends. I also told him i will refuse to do it if i dont feel up to it and he respects that .
#16 - SamH
hehe.. my bro spent over £40K on his (most recent) wedding, and it's just suddenly dawned on me why his official photographer looked as white as a sheet! LMFAO!!
Quote from SamH :hehe.. my bro spent over £40K on his (most recent) wedding, and it's just suddenly dawned on me why his official photographer looked as white as a sheet! LMFAO!!

Now you also know why he didn't need any flashguns.
Quote from Billeh :Dont suppose you have any good website for noobs like myself?

I have quite a large collection of favorites that I've been saving since getting into the photography thing. I uploaded them into an html file for just this purpose on other forums....

My photography links

The first 2 sites I found other than the 2 forums I am on were tremendous help to me. I learned so much initially from these 2 sites. They are in my link I posted above, but here they are separate as well...

Short Courses
Digital Camera Help

Check those 2 links out and it should give some understanding of what shutter, aperture, and ISO is all about. For your dogs, put your camera into Shutter priority mode (how is in the manual) and set the shutter for 1/250 or faster (displayed on the camera usually as just "250"). This will allow you to freeze the motion of the dogs. The camera will choose the other setting for you (aperture).
Thanks SamH and Mrodgers

Stuck at work till 5 but i have taken my camera with me probably have a fiddle with it after lunch as i know for sure i will not be busy . Going to take the dog out for a walk after work and see if i can get some good snaps will post back this evening if i get out with him and camera .
Just thought i would post to show you what i was messing about with at work yesterday

Its my first try at HDR image its not 100% think the camera moved slightly in te second of the 3 shots needed for this. Anyway here it is dont laugh please

http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=messingaboutos9.jpg

going to try another after work tonight maybe a night one fun fun fun
Sorry to say but that's not HDR, that's a painting.

My advice is to forget about HDR for now. I think the scene you took would probably look far better without the HDR processing, assuming it's a sunny and well lit scene. It's quite a nice scene actually, and not a bad photo - quite nice too. But your processing of it... ugh.
Quote from STROBE :Sorry to say but that's not HDR, that's a painting.

My advice is to forget about HDR for now. I think the scene you took would probably look far better without the HDR processing, assuming it's a sunny and well lit scene. It's quite a nice scene actually, and not a bad photo - quite nice too. But your processing of it... ugh.

Thanks i know what you mean i went a bit ott with settings was just messing about really i am only a beginer and thanks for the advice and comment on picture
Quote from Billeh :Thanks Don and Strobe, i have spoken to him about this and he has told me not to worrie its a small afair that will be taking place outdoors with a small selection of family and friends. I also told him i will refuse to do it if i dont feel up to it and he respects that .

My 2 best tips for shooting weddings.

1: Don't do it!!!!

2: Be aware of your background. (Most cameras will take excelent pictures on auto now if you need it. But only you can decide on the background that makes your subject the center of attention.)

My Nikon tip for you is don't use Auto uless you have to. Use Program instead. The camera will go through 30 000 samples to match up what your shooting against the closest in its sample of images.

Just my 2 cents.

(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG