The online racing simulator
#1 - amp88
F1 - Onboard Cameras Affecting Aero Performance
How much of an affect do onboard cameras have on the aerodynamics of a current F1 car? I'm talking about the ones which aren't mounted on the rollbar / crane lifting point on the top of the engine intake but those mounted on the nose or front wing or side of the cockpit? In the attached picture, for example, we see cameras mounted on the nose section of the Ferrari. What affect do these cameras have to the performance of the car and are the teams compensated for running these cameras?
Attached images
f1onboardcamera.jpg
#2 - ajp71
I can't see the camera in that photo. IIRC they used to have to carry either a roll bar camera of a blank of the same weight in its place. Now though I'd be suprised if they haven't made all the cameras compulsary all the time, it's not as if there is a cost worry.
Of course they are not compensated, they all have to have them. The aerodynamic performance of the cars is only as much as the FIA alow anyway. In fact, the first on-board camera attached to an F1 car was for testing, and not for TV coverage.

As of 1998 all cars need at least 2 on-board cameras (probably more now), and I guess they can be molded into the shape of the bodywork as to lessen any aerodynamic effect.
Quote from ajp71 :I can't see the camera in that photo. IIRC they used to have to carry either a roll bar camera of a blank of the same weight in its place. Now though I'd be suprised if they haven't made all the cameras compulsary all the time, it's not as if there is a cost worry.

The camera sticks out on the right just where you see the suspension wishbone, you can see it sticks out both sides of the nose quite a way down (presumable for symmetry.).
And yes, the cars will be developed taking their position into account, including the shape of the housing (unless it's a spec item, which it may well be). But they won't spend millions of dollars on CFD and wind tunnel analysis then bolt on a sodding great camera housing happily!!!

There was a rule, not sure if it still exists, that said cars without a camera have to carry the equivalent weight in the camera housing, so any penalty was minimised/cancelled out.
Regulations say:
Attached images
123.png
1234.png

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG