The online racing simulator
#1 - 5haz
More than one Engine Exhaust Tone
(I've just spent 5 minutes searching the damn place for similar threads, so don't bother btiching at me )

As many of you probrably know, a lot of car Engines sound pretty different at low revs to how they sound at full revs (E.g the Ford DFV seems to sound pretty different at low revs).

So my idea is that there could be two exhaust tone sounds, and that the game could gradually switch from one to the other as the engine goes from low revs to high revs, perhaps using Shift+A we could also adjust how quickly and how much this happens.

I think it would add quite a bit to the realism of the game, at the moment although most of the Engine sounds sound fairly good, I think they do sound slighty artificial.
I agree that sound in LFS is a bit linear on most cars however, that can be tweaked with the sound editor in order to improve on that. I do agree that sound needs a bit more development to peek into the "real" stage of LFS.

Try playing with "idle boost" in the sound editor.
This will allow you to greatly change the tone of the car between low and high engine speeds (might still not be enough though)
#3 - 5haz
Quote from gohfeld23 :I agree that sound in LFS is a bit linear on most cars however, that can be tweaked with the sound editor in order to improve on that. I do agree that sound needs a bit more development to peek into the "real" stage of LFS.

Try playing with "idle boost" in the sound editor.
This will allow you to greatly change the tone of the car between low and high engine speeds (might still not be enough though)

Yes I understand about exhaust tone, but on many engines the exhaust note sounds completely different across the rev range.

It's something that many other 'sims' include, and I'm sure it wouldn't take too much to sort it all out.
i can just imagine the V-TEC now...
I've said this before, but they need to have directional sounds too. A car approaching you sounds totally different to a car going away from you, especially with racing cars. Head-on it's almost all gearbox and mechanical whine, wheras when it's facing away you can pretty much only hear the exhaust.
Quote from Crashgate3 :I've said this before, but they need to have directional sounds too. A car approaching you sounds totally different to a car going away from you, especially with racing cars. Head-on it's almost all gearbox and mechanical whine, wheras when it's facing away you can pretty much only hear the exhaust.

thats on all cars. road cars you basically hear a gentle sound but on the exhaust its a rougher sound. and rallycars are good exapmle for that, if you compare behind&front http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hMSBNm4mmQs
I thought the cars did sound different across the rev range, and at idle.

The doplar effect could be improved/increased though.
Quote from Crashgate3 :I've said this before, but they need to have directional sounds too. A car approaching you sounds totally different to a car going away from you, especially with racing cars. Head-on it's almost all gearbox and mechanical whine, wheras when it's facing away you can pretty much only hear the exhaust.

Yeah, ie. with powerful N/A engines, definitely the best sound is heard when the car is approaching. The great sound of intake. And in cockpit too, of course. It is possible to use the LFS ingame sound editor to produce sounds what have a similar tone, but you can't quite still get the thrill.

But I also have to say that I think that LFS has very good sounds, you can pretty much produce any engine and tweak the sounds little and it sounds pretty much like it should.
#9 - 5haz

Thats also very true, in LFS currently the exhaust sound is completely uniform no matter where you are relative to the car, I can't think of any sims that include this anyway, so perhaps another opportunity to make LFS even more awesome.

Par example.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QeqjhvTU4

Here a DFV at Monaco, at low revs the engine sounds more like an MRT, at high revs, the car sounds more like an F08 (well in my opinion anyway :razz
Shame I doubt anyone will take this too seriously.
Ja this sounds like a pretty nice idea, another great sound would be that sort of blasting turbine exhaust sound that turbocharged cars give when they come into boost, one of the most amazing sounds ever
Quote from M3THANOL :Ja this sounds like a pretty nice idea, another great sound would be that sort of blasting turbine exhaust sound that turbocharged cars give when they come into boost, one of the most amazing sounds ever

I think that you mean the sound what wastegate does when it opens to keep the right boost. I know, it is a nice sound. It makes even those turbo engines what have a lousy cam and big exhaust to sound really nice.
Plus on the intake side the whistle of turbo, but we already have that.
:riceboy:
I know that's a joke but I think that cars like this really don't have anything to do with rice.
Stock V6 with turbo, 400bhp and fooking ugly outside. Also the nice sound what we were talking about.

I'm really one of the last persons to call ricer on this planet.

And I even hate Hondas.
Sorry, that's not a 'stock' V6.

Plus it's a Ford.

'nuff said!
It is, the engine itself is bonestock, it is just turbocharged, whit 1.2 bar boost it makes around 400bhp.
Good example of what difference the turbo and it's wastegate does to the sound of engine with lousy cam and in this case a big exhaust too.

And I don't know what that Ford matters here.

lol don't call me a ricer with that nickname.
Psh, don't get me started.
#17 - 5haz
Im taking my own thread off topic ha.

People's opinion's on wether something is rice or not vary greatly, IMO rice is a car that is all looks and no performance, a car which is unpretentious and fast is not rice. (E.g that picture).

My idea of a nice modified car is lowered, stiffened suspension, tuned engine and black wheels, but not anything else.
Quote from BigPeBe :I think that you mean the sound what wastegate does when it opens to keep the right boost. I know, it is a nice sound. It makes even those turbo engines what have a lousy cam and big exhaust to sound really nice.
Plus on the intake side the whistle of turbo, but we already have that.

Sorry man, my bad, I thought it was the turbine exhaust note, but I am happy 2 be corrected, but ja the car sounds pretty potent for so little mods, LONG LIVE TURBO's
Quote from M3THANOL :Sorry man, my bad, I thought it was the turbine exhaust note, but I am happy 2 be corrected, but ja the car sounds pretty potent for so little mods, LONG LIVE TURBO's

I think that the turbine also has it's own impact on the exhaust note, but the "mean" aggressive sound is usually the wastegate what opens and directs the exhaust gasses to the downpipe so they don't pass thru the turbine.

It is very easy to hear (not on stock cars usually tho), ie. when car is on dyno and gets to it's power peak you can clearly hear a different tone "added" to the exhaust sound.
Ja i was wrong, I know the sound very well, but I was sure it was because of the turbo itself, but you are right, it is the wastegate, but the harsh sound is only really hear on cars that have an external wastegate, thanks for the correction
The exhaust tone is the same at 3000 rpm at full throttle and 1/4 throttle. Lame. :dunce:

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG